Active Topics

Posts: 255 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ United Kingdom
It seems that the browser on OS2008 runs slower if I have virtual memory enabled. Is it really worth enabling? If so, is there an optimum size? I read that smaller sizes are better.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
The Linux kernel (at least on normal servers and desktops) likes to swap a lot. I don't know if this is true on the NIT as well.

You could install one of the kernels which includes SHDC support for SD cards allowing faster I/O.

You might indeed want to lower your virtual memory and see if this improves the performance.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
No, swappiness is set to 1 via /etc/osso-af-init/af-defines.sh

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
If you can run without it, go for it. If you find that you are getting random reboots, I would suggest enabling it.

I personally crash often without swap, but I do more with my tablet than most.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.