Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Detroit, MI
I maybe posting this thread in the wrong forum but I just want to know what this update to the Map application is all about. To be specific, when I tap Update in the Application Manager I get an update for the Map application with a version of 2.2.6.377.1 weighing in at 4.3mb. It's updateable according to the Summary Tab but when I tap Update I get the message:

Unable to install.
Software contains updates to packages installed from a different source and is likely to harm the system.
Contact software author

Last edited by mooler; 2007-12-21 at 07:24. Reason: Wrong word

I see the same update and get the same error message if I try to install it. I should note that the update has the same version number as the map application preinstalled on the n800/n810 with latest firmware.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Yeah I saw that yesterday...

...and got this.
>>
Attached Images

Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
I see the same update and get the same error message if I try to install it. I should note that the update has the same version number as the map application preinstalled on the n800/n810 with latest firmware.
Yup, so I'm wondering if it is just "repo madness" that our machines suffer from
Attached Images

Same error message here.

I get that error too, weirdness..

I don't get how the repositories can be overrun. Ok, a lot of people are accessing them now, but that's a totally common situation on the internet - and - here we're talking about kilobytes for the update catalogs and a handful of megs for downloads per user. Are they running their servers on N800s?

I received that message at first, but after I entered Red Pill mode it only gave me a security prompt and I was able to download after accepting. I didn't notice any differences after the update, could've just been bug fixes or perhaps they found a loophole in their activation mechanism.

Originally Posted by Durango View Post
I received that message at first, but after I entered Red Pill mode it only gave me a security prompt and I was able to download after accepting. I didn't notice any differences after the update, could've just been bug fixes or perhaps they found a loophole in their activation mechanism.
That's pro'ly exactly what it is...

BTW, I wouldn't recommend your method to anybody just yet. If they want me to update, then they are going to have to play by the rules like everyone else and clean up the error their own dang selves.

I don't know about you, but I paid hard earned cash for this app almost a year ago and have seen no usability improvements at all.

Last edited by YoDude; 2007-12-21 at 16:27.

well here it is about 10 days later and still a problem. this appl was a POS from the get go so i am not holding my breath. i use maemo mapper which is not even in the same class with the built in map program. unfortunately because the driver for the internal gps is also a POS, i still have to use an external gps with maemo mapper. now on to figuring out how to remove the nokia mapper to regain so badly needed memory space.

nokia should trash the wayfinder program and crew and just hire John Costigan ;-)

Originally Posted by mooler View Post
I maybe posting this thread in the wrong forum but I just want to know what this update to the Map application is all about. To be specific, when I tap Update in the Application Manager I get an update for the Map application with a version of 2.2.6.377.1 weighing in at 4.3mb. It's updateable according to the Summary Tab but when I tap Update I get the message:

Unable to install.
Software contains updates to packages installed from a different source and is likely to harm the system.
Contact software author
This is my first post here. I had the same error before while trying to install the Nokia Maps update on my N800. After a few attempts with no success, I just went into the application manager and removed the previous version of Nokia Maps that was preinstalled on the OS2008 update and then I went back and installed the Nokia Maps update just fine. None of my downloaded maps were touched and I didn't see any problems.

Nokia should have noted on the installation details to just remove your old version of the maps program before installing the update.