Posts: 362 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy, Lombardia
Originally Posted by droitwichgas View Post
Surely that's incorrect as why would Meego CE for the N900 have apps packaged in RPM for a deb's based device?
The device is not linked to deb or rpm.
It is the OS distribution that is deb's or rpm's based.

MeeGo is rpm's based
Maemo is deb's based

Harmattan is Maemo 6.0 partially modified to be compatible with MeeGo and so it is deb's based yet.

MeeGo CE is a port of real MeeGo and not a Maemo 6.0 port so it is rpm's based.

Last edited by Fabry; 2011-08-14 at 19:24.

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Canada
hey friends i m in tention please help me my n900 is not booting it stucks at nokia logo for few seconds and then off i have tried every thing i also tried starting it in R&D mode a icon also appears below nokia but still its not starting up same prblem also white sensor lite came at start but nothing... i dont want to reflash my phone because of my data and applications please is there another way to boot it help and thankss

Originally Posted by Fabry View Post

MeeGo CE is a port of real MeeGo and not a Maemo 6.0 port so it is rpm's based.
What is your source for this information as I cannot understand how my N900 can run a RPM based OS?

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
What is your source for this information as I cannot understand how my N900 can run a RPM based OS?
ofcourse it can.

its similar to linux on desktop:

fedora RPM based
ubuntu DEB.based

Maemo5 DEB based
N900 Meego community edition RPM

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
N900 can run a RPM based OS in the same manner it can run an Android OS (Nitdroid) which not uses deb or rpm (it uses apk).

Where is the problem ?
Even if N900 is born with an linux deb based os, if you totally replace the original OS with some different OS you can do want you want

Originally Posted by Fabry View Post
N900 can run a RPM based OS in the same manner it can run an Android OS (Nitdroid) which not uses deb or rpm (it uses apk).

Where is the problem ?
Even if N900 is born with an linux deb based os, if you totally replace the original OS with some different OS you can do want you want
OK but where's your link to suggest Meego CE is RPM based? As i thought it was just the same as the N9's i.e. DEB based?

MeeGo CE is an optimized version of N900's MeeGo and N900's MeeGo is simple MeeGo's source code (arm version) compiled and packaged for N900.

MeeGo has been always (since its birth more than one year ago) rpm based

N9 not uses the public meego (for now) but it uses a Nokia's specific OS (Maemo 6.0) made API compatible with MeeGo and rebranded MeeGo Harmattan

Last edited by Fabry; 2011-08-14 at 21:29.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fabry For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jedi View Post
OK, I'll kill myself if you learn to Google.

http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900/GettingStarted
where can we send the flowers? :|

i'll even teach the other guy to read & write

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Ok, was going to try installing Meego this evening, and strumbled across what is probably a probem with an obvious fix, but I cannot find it.

I have a 32gb microsd card, and I would like to chuck Meego on there, and keep the rest of the space as FAT, which would be accessible to both Maemo and Meego . The issue I have is that Maemo just reports the MicroSD as corrupted and not usable.

come on then guys, what's the fix please.

Thanks

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
OK but where's your link to suggest Meego CE is RPM based? As i thought it was just the same as the N9's i.e. DEB based?
zypper

Originally Posted by gazza_d View Post
Ok, was going to try installing Meego this evening, and strumbled across what is probably a probem with an obvious fix, but I cannot find it.

I have a 32gb microsd card, and I would like to chuck Meego on there, and keep the rest of the space as FAT, which would be accessible to both Maemo and Meego . The issue I have is that Maemo just reports the MicroSD as corrupted and not usable.

come on then guys, what's the fix please.

Thanks
Use parted to find the offsets for the partitions (why isn't MeeGo team offering partition images instead of raw images?) mount with -o offset=offset-in-bytes, copy files, make sure p3 is vfat and has boot files, and p4 being a large vfat partition, which you add to Maemo using rcS-late. then flasher -F -f -k -R the kernel.

Last edited by Hurrian; 2011-08-20 at 03:00.