Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Can't say that I am surprised. The lack of product announcements and deliverables seems to have building to a massive release or an announcement that things were going to slow down even further.

Let's see what the final outcome will be...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
MeeGo is a solution without a need. So long as hobbyists/developers cannot find hardware with open specs/drivers to write and maintain drivers themselves, and the hardware manufacturers lack interest to provide such support and updates to said operating system, it will never find a compelling platform to exist upon. It will languish thanks to that very same lack of openness and paranoia that Nokia continued to cling onto by not using open-source friendly components and by making VERY sure you couldn't remove their own proprietary code to which the open-source was welded and twisted tightly into the fabric with incredible dependency. Money and efforts wasted on MAKING SURE you couldn't open it up entirely. That was the Nokia way and this is the result. Nice job leading the way, Nokia. Adding insult to injury was getting Intel to join them in on MeeGo and then bailing on them. I'm sure that didn't help the platform either.

Yeah, the software architects earned their money for sure. They did a really good job in denying ability to run independent distributions.

The Following User Says Thank You to momcilo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 343 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris, France
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
News like this is something that gets leaked but not announced.
To be more precise Intel at IDF will probably mention MEEGO so let's see what they say before concluding with a rumor

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Scary part is the "we're committed" part. HP said that and then later dumped WebOS.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by P@t View Post
To be more precise Intel at IDF will probably mention MEEGO so let's see what they say before concluding with a rumor
Hehe my point was that the marketing department will always put a spin on bad news.

ie: instead of announcing putting MeeGo development on cryo, they'll announce a new strategic alliance with Nokia AND Microsoft. (which puts MeeGo dev on hold indefinitely).
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
At this point, I could not care less what is "inside intel" I we want to have something, we need to do it on our own.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
It's game over for MeeGo.

My website

GitHub

I hate to have to say this but perhaps this latest announcement proves Elop was right to go WP7, although the way Android is gaining market share at present suggests even WP7 may of been the wrong horse to back.

RIP Meego

PS Can Nokia risk actually releasing any N9 handsets to the public on yet another dying OS?

Last edited by droitwichgas; 2011-09-02 at 11:09.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
use your brains for once! its a world economy problem and ofcourse intel also has problems.

but what they actually is saying is: now the community has better chances to improve Meego in better directions. for example some stuff has gone slow progress cause thecommunity had not got a chance to implement x and y libs. or newer versions of core libs.

hopefully community can make it move faster forward now.

Would be nice to see kde plasma integrated more in meego. as an example.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-09-02 at 11:11.

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by droitwichgas View Post
I hate to have to say this but perhaps this latest announcement proves Elop was right to go WP7
I don't think that's true. Had Nokia stepped up their efforts regarding MeeGo instead of bailing out in February, Intel would probably not be doing this and MeeGo would have had a decent chance of success.

My website

GitHub

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:

Tags
dying?, meego, meego no-go, orphaned, rumors, unconfirmed