Posts: 98 | Thanked: 189 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Antonio, TX
Some of my best memories from the Maemo events were with Gary. Stumbling around Berlin with him and Jott after too many beers, with him laughing and catching me as I repeatedly tried to fall on my face... Sitting around in a pub having fun debating new directions for our various projects... He was one of my favorite people to talk with (and it seemed like he *always* had time to talk) since he was always positive and always had new and innovative ideas. Gary knew how to look at things from every angle, or else he knew enough to go find people who could!

I don't know what it will be like to not have him around IRC, but I know the world has lost a great man today. Happy hacking, lcuk. I will always remember you, your enthusiasm, and your wide cheerful grin.

I also hope there is some way we can help Tracy and their children, and that there will be some way we can let them know how much the community loved and will miss him... Is anyone organizing anything yet?

Last edited by rm_you; 2011-09-14 at 20:37.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to rm_you For This Useful Post:
Death comes to us all. Memento mori! He is but the first (if so) to brave the mists beyond. Remember that we all shall follow him, and that we should take this moment to remember that we're here but for a short time.

Let us make the best of that time, such as it's alloted to us.

(...)

I didn't know him. May an afterlife greet him with gentleness, or otherwise, may the peace of oblivion be conforting to him.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to number41 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
I just spent the day with him on Sunday. He picked me up from the Manchester airport and had made a liqbase application with my name on it and was running it on his ideapad in the arrival hall. We walked around the city with mja ja lcuk, talked about liqbase and whatever. Was truly a great day.

I tried to write here something about what I'm feeling now but I can't put it to words.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
This comes as quite a shock. I often disagreed with Gary about things but he was definitely an energetic developer who enjoyed taking his ideas as far as they could go and that enthusiasm was really contagious.

He was a huge presence here and I feel bad for all the people who haven't had the pleasure of interacting with him, be it here through TMO or at the various Maemo functions he attended.

Much love and sympathy to his family and for those of you here who have gotten to know him quite well. I think that its to his credit that so many people here are sharing their stories and thoughts about him. He will be deeply missed, both as a developer and as a human being.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
My condolences to everyone who knew him, specially to his family. We worked briefly together back in the Fremantle times and he was a great guy.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to csaavedra For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Holy... I saw the tweet from MeeGoExperts, thought it a hoax.

Gary was... wow. Charismatic, energetic, talented... one of the few people that made me want to have a N900 so it would make me see what he saw as a possibility in that platform.

Always a gentleman, the epitome of what this community could offer in all forms. And always thinking of cool things and ways to do it.

His presence will be missed. My condolences to his family.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Wow. I never met him but from interacting with him from e-mail and the forums he sounded like an awesome guy. Always had interesting projects too that I enjoyed using. May he rest in peace.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
R.I.P mate!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kishanW For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
RIP Gary......

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
This is the saddest news I have read on maemo.org. Even with the thread title I wasn't prepared for what I read. It brought a tear to my eye and I'm still a little shocked. He was a valued community member but above that I cannot imagine what he meant to his family. My words are not worth much but my heartfelt condolences to family and friends.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Tags
gary birkett, memoriam, respect