Poll: Should Nokia drop the r&d mode and let anyone gainroot always?
Poll Options
Should Nokia drop the r&d mode and let anyone gainroot always?

You don't need a 2nd PC or even to dual-boot to run linux. Simply burn a live-CD like Phlak or Knoppix.

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Originally Posted by KreAture
Those who have downloaded might comment on their experience?
Well, this comment is a little premature, because I have downloaded the patch, applied it and then installed the patched version on my 770.

But I did that just 15 minutes ago, and I haven't used things yet.

I wanted to add a little more information for any Windows users who would do this.

The program you need to download, as KreAture noted is at sites.inka.de/tesla/f_others.html#bsdiff

What I should have done, but didn't initially, was go to the real home page of the program, at www.daemonology.net/bsdiff/ where a brief description of the utilities can be found. When you unpack/install it, you have two utilities, not one.

bsdiff is the program that KreAture used to create his patch. bspatch is the program we users use. I thought I was supposed to use bsdiff (because the patch file has that as an extension), until I read the description.

And the first time around, I wasn't paying attention and what I did was run the patch on the zip file of the image that I had downloaded. That doesn't work. So, be sure to unzip the binary image and use bspatch to apply the patch to the file with the .bin extension. And of course you run bspatch from a command prompt window.

Typing simply "bspatch" on the command line gives you the usage the program expects, btw. And if the patched file isn't created within a short period of time -- 20 seconds? 30? In my case, well under a minute -- something isn't right.

Roger

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Just a follow-up:

Works perfectly.

I think I made small errors at each stage of this, typing the wrong name or picking the wrong file, and of course getting nothing or a bad file as a result. So I kept at it until I got it right.

First thing, of course, was to make sure bspatch was installed in a directory in the path, so that I could execute it from the directory where the patch and image files were located.

Because I knew I had messed up earlier, I redownloaded the patch file, just in case.

I unzipped the Nokia firmware image.

Then I opened a command window and navigated to the directory with the firmware and patch files.

I entered the command (I won't use the full file names since they're so long):

bspatch Nokia-image-51-13.bin a-new-name-for-the-result.bin the-patch-file-51-13.bin.bsdiff

Note that there are 4 parts:
- bspatch
- the firmware image name ending in bin
- a name for the resulting patched image
- the patch file ending in bsdiff

If you're doing all that and don't get a result in under a minute, I don't know what's going wrong.

Good luck!

Roger

Originally Posted by Robette
You don't need a 2nd PC or even to dual-boot to run linux. Simply burn a live-CD like Phlak or Knoppix.
And it's even better you don't even need a CD-burner...
Just download the VMWare player, and any linux image (e.g. ubuntu) and off you go....

;-)

When I try to use the Windows .bin patcher, it keeps telling me "Wrong directory selected". I'ved tried numerous directories, moving the .bin file (only file in the directory) around, renaming directories, etc...

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
ce

the patch worked for me though i havent flashed it in yet.

download the patch
download nokia firmware
unzip the nokia firmware

execute the patch
point the dialog box asking for the nokia firmware

thanks again kreature, your patch helps illiterate linux users like me to start upgrading our nokia 770

Claudio

What's the difference in patching the image and flashing the 770 in Linux to enabled R&D mode? Is it just to be made easier for end users or is there an advantage?

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Nope, both result in exactly the same effect. The patching is most useful for users without a Linux or Mac box available.

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Niles IL...Chicago born and raised.
Will there be a patch for the new version? or can I just use the same one?