Active Topics

Please...a quick review, first impressions, screen shots...anything!!!

I am on vacation, and won't get the chance to try it for a week

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Florida, USA
I'm not sure how I can get screenshots other than taking pictures with my phone. I heard no software works. It feels a lot quicker. Paired with my Motorola V330 first try and it now has built in connection settings for tethering for many common providers. I'm "Creating virtual memory" at the moment allocating 64mb from my 1gb rsmmc card. Browsing a few flash sites while the chat/voice program was running in the back. I don't have anyone to chat with since no one I know uses Google Talk or Jabber.

The Applicaiton manager looks very nice. There is an option to "install new applications." My guess is that it will pull from a repository soon. A huge improvement from the 2005 version.

Should make a thread in the 2006 forum.

Edit:
Included media: 2 5mb mp3s and a discovery video that didn't look so hot. This would explain the size difference in the download I think.

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Niles IL...Chicago born and raised.
I just finished downloading it and I'm flashing as I type...........annnnndddd.......it's still going.......%56.........%72......%84...%DONE!....g imme a sec and I'll let you know what it's like.

Boot up is substantially faster, although it boots up the same in terms of screen, logo, and sound.

Setup was almost the same.

The UI, you've got to see. It obviously looks different and it has Beta on the top bar as well as the bottom of the left bar. Control panel has new icons...Accounts, Phone, Presence, and Task navigator.

I restored a backup from previous software version. Application manager is totally different. Icons and stuff like that are different as well.

I think I'll leave the rest up to you guys, check it out, it's something totally different. However, backup your old stuff so you can reflash back to the 05 version if need be.

If I flash to the 06 version can I downgrade back to the 05 version without backing up my stuff? Say I put 06 on it tonight tried it out and then I just downloaded 05 from the official nokia site would that downgrade?

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Niles IL...Chicago born and raised.
No, all apps, and personal data would be gone. When you create a backup it saves contacts (email), bookmarks, commonly used words, etc. But programs need to be reinstalled.

Before doing any kind of OS change on the Nokia 770, you MUST back up all of your data to the RS-MMC card. Failure to do so will wipe out your data on the OS change.

Yes, you can reflash with the old 2005 OS any time, just remember to back up your data on the RS-MMC card!

okay, sorry for this but what do I do with the .bin file?

When you say data do you mean bookmarks and connection settings etc? I'm not too bothered about backing that up as I can easily set that up again.

If I made a backup from a 2005OS, could I restore it in 2006 ? I'm specially interested in restoring saved AP/Wep networks.

How usable is the finger / thumb keyboard?