Originally Posted by tz1 View Post
1. What is the EXACT tar command line you are using?
2. Have you tried rsync (at least once)
3. What does diff -rq <jffs> <ext2> show?
I am doing it under x86 linux so what i use is

tar cf - -C /1 .| tar xvf - -C /2

/1 is where rootfs.jffs2 is mounted
/2 is where /dev/sdc2 (/dev/mmcblk0p2 on the tablet) is mounted

I will do the diff later on today and see the differences. I will perhaps try rsync ....

the diff shows only changes relating to symlinks (no such file or directory - although they do both exists in both places) the rest checks ok.

The partitions copied correctly, so it is something in initrd - you may need to redo things using Fanoush's tools (recently updated?) to get the bootmenu and other things right. It may just be a device name in the script.

There is another forum post about making the USB persist (add KEY_MENU to KEY_ESC to get back to the boot menu in bootmenu.sh, I think) so you might be able to watch the console messages.

Also, did you see

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=22809

I have been down the persistent usb route, not much help as the connection is severed and the unit reboots when you select the mmc boot option (works for flash though). I have given up for now as I hope that perhaps a faulty sd card might be a culprit. Hard to say for now, I have ordered a new one and will test it when I receive it. OS cloned using penguinbait's tools boots ok but not to the desktop. I mean the n800 is stuck on nokia screen with the progress bar more or less 8/9 full. I can hear the screen click when I touch it and I can ssh to the device (it picks wifi network). Trying to start various services mostly succeds but the maemo-launcher segfaults each time... no other clues so far... This keeps on bugging me as it (mmc boot) used to work fine for months and all the problems started after the diablo upgrade.

Last edited by spirytsick; 2008-08-13 at 22:04.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
So there is nothing interesting in kernel log on both sides whe copying data? Still if you are using the device as card reader, I'd try to remove card an use card reader or clone over ssh without using tablet's usb storage.

A for the usb disconnect - if you don't have MENU_X_USBMODE set for that item in bootmenu.conf I don't know how it can be different from internal flash. You may also try to enable framebuffer console and watch the screen. For that you need additional modules in initfs. Search this forum for bitblit fbcon softcursor or see http://wiki.maemo.org/Advanced_booting

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Last edited by fanoush; 2008-08-14 at 05:21.

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
There is nothing particulary interesting in dmesg output on both flash and mmc boot's. All those problems are happening only on diablo. Chinook works without a hitch and flies on my tablets. Nowadays, the even a fresh flash of diablo will hang during boot for a few times before it loads correctly. strangely no problems with chinook or OS2007 releases either. I am slowly having enough. I have probably flashed my tabled >100 times now. I think it is time to get back to chinook and wait for N900 for an OS upgrade

Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
So there is nothing interesting in kernel log on both sides whe copying data? Still if you are using the device as card reader, I'd try to remove card an use card reader or clone over ssh without using tablet's usb storage.

A for the usb disconnect - if you don't have MENU_X_USBMODE set for that item in bootmenu.conf I don't know how it can be different from internal flash. You may also try to enable framebuffer console and watch the screen. For that you need additional modules in initfs. Search this forum for bitblit fbcon softcursor or see http://wiki.maemo.org/Advanced_booting
When I have a moment I will give it a try with the fbconsole and syslog. Atm, I just want a running tablet But thank you very much Fanoush, as always you are most helpfull.

Been running chinook for the second day now. Works like a charm. I do not know what diablo has that messes up with my tablet.