Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Well it was good timing, that's for sure. I would've never figured out restricting hosts thing otherwise.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
You should definitely block the VNC ports (580x & 590x) from the Internet with your router. Otherwise, it is nice to be able to use VNC without SSH within your home LAN. If you haven't restricted access from other local computers, you can even use a Java capable browser and just point your browser at http://server.ip.address:5800 and log in from the browser. At least this works with RealVNC.

Last edited by qole; 2009-08-27 at 06:39.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
You should definitely block the VNC ports from the Internet with your router. Otherwise, it is nice to be able to use VNC without SSH within your home LAN. If you haven't restricted access from other local computers, you can even use a Java capable browser and just point your browser at http://server.ip.address:5800 and log in from the browser. At least this works with RealVNC.
Oh, I'm not taking any chances!

I've got UltraVNC to only accept incoming requests from 127.0.0.1.

Actually tho, I'm running at pretty high speed over here, so the internet interface speed is about the same as the LAN (at least thru VNC).

||EDIT

I don't even have the port 5800 option enabled. I'm all about the VNC client. I would only use this stuff with my tablet anyway, since my laptop died some time ago (ironically enough which is what led me to discover the N810.)

You can't browse no interwebs on a psp!

Last edited by JayOnThaBeat; 2009-08-27 at 06:49.

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Many thanks for creating this thread!

I got it fully functional yesterday.

Your lower resolution display setting isn't supported on my computer so I have to go all the way down to 640x480. Oh well. Is there any other Windows program that might feature an 800x480 for a display option?

Anyway, I was wondering what some of you guys are using this for? I have no imagination on what to do with this besides running my UptoDate program.

Originally Posted by Addison View Post
Many thanks for creating this thread!

I got it fully functional yesterday.

Your lower resolution display setting isn't supported on my computer so I have to go all the way down to 640x480. Oh well. Is there any other Windows program that might feature an 800x480 for a display option?

Anyway, I was wondering what some of you guys are using this for? I have no imagination on what to do with this besides running my UptoDate program.
The closest resolution I can get is 720x480... I'm sure it varies by graphics card.

I was out and about last week when I noticed <movie that is totally public domain> was now out on dvd. I had totally forgotten about this movie, so I wanted to make sure that it didn't slip my mind before I got home.

So, I busted out my N810, which has a constant data stream (slow-as-sh*t as it may be) from my Boost Mobile phone, and proceded to establish an ssh tunnel with my pc (with compression enabled, b/c it was over DUN) and log in with VNC viewer.

I then ran firefox, opened <torrent site>, and proceded to download <movie that is surely public domain> with <torrent downloading program>.

And, sure enough, by the time I got home, I had my copy of <public domain movie> waiting for me on my HDD.

I did all that with my N810 inside of a Target.

[Granted, it takes a lot of patience operating over a 19.9kbps connection... but it's better than nothing!]

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JayOnThaBeat For This Useful Post:
That's a great idea!

Though your <public domain> reference is suspect. *lol*

Thanks for the great suggestion!

That's a great idea!

Though your <public domain> reference is suspect. *lol*

Thanks for the great suggestion!
To clarify, the movie was Santa Claus Conquers The Martians

Last edited by JayOnThaBeat; 2009-08-31 at 19:03. Reason: wiki link

To clarify, the movie was Santa Claus Conquers The Martians
Okay. Now you're just compensating! *lol*

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Anyway, I was wondering what some of you guys are using this for?
When my wife calls me at work and tells me one of the computers or apps isn't working right, I can remotely see her screen on my tablet and help her figure it out.

I have a PC running an open-source media center hooked up to my TV. At a party on the weekend, when I needed to play Barrett's Privateers for the traditional drunken singalong portion of the party, I used my tablet's VNC viewer to start the song playing while I was standing on the front porch with the rest of the Midnight Choir

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Didn't see this mentioned before in the thread unless I missed it.

TightVNC plus Mirage Driver for TightVNC is instant win!
Recommended Add-ons

* To achieve best performance under Windows 2000, Windows XP and above, download and install DFMirage mirror display driver (free download). TightVNC Server can use this driver to detect screen updates and grab pixel data in a very efficient way.

Without it, playing Solitaire on the computer the cards would streak and stain the screen so I basically was looking at desktop, graphic mush during a game.

Running Nester (NES Emulator) wouldn't even display on the Tablet's screen.

With http://www.demoforge.com/dfmirage.htm installed, zero streaking in Solitaire, faster screen updates, and running a Nintendo game in Nester looks practically perfect.

Only downside is that when you first log in, it tends to not display the entire screen for some reason. So I just open and close a full screen web browser or text file and that does the trick.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:

Tags
ssh tunnel, vnc, windows