Posts: 101 | Thanked: 129 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Los Angeles, CA
I blamed the law department ...

Originally Posted by sharper View Post
It's pretty obvious Nokia hasn't thought this through much beyond "Hey let's take the same hardware as that iPhone 3Gs thingy and put Maemo on there".
Yeah exactly. All this talk about how open Maemo and itsdevelopment is. And how awful the iPhone Appstore for developers is. But in the end their Ovi Store for the N900 is just like Apples, look at this:

Unfortunately, only the approved premium publisher can publish for N900 at this moment and the approval

The Following User Says Thank You to Holyshit For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
so how did the developer of gravity ever get his app published in the beginning then as he is a one man team, looks like Nokia pick and choose and bend rules when they see something they think will make them money

The Following User Says Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ewan View Post
There is always the option of publishing the stuff as open source via maemo-extras....
Yes. Ovi store will just destroy open source spirit. I have a Nokia 5800 and I downloaded something like 60 applications and they were all free, and for free you don’t need ovi.

Also, given that the N900 doesn't support any sort of DRM, why don't you just open up your own web storefront and sell people the binaries yourself? If you want to be fancy, you create your own repository, and perhaps even open them up to other developers!

Yes, you do lose some visability, and that sucks. But you also don't have to pay any fees to Nokia to develope. Also, if Ovi starts to get a big competitor because they have unreasonable barriers to entry, you can bet that those barriers will come down, and then we all win.

Best of luck with your company. I hope you make millions developing for the N900.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bocaJ For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bocaJ View Post
Also, given that the N900 doesn't support any sort of DRM
But it will for Maemo 6: http://maemonews.com/2009/10/13/maem...ecurity-model/

Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
I found 1 Million Sterling insurance was quite cheap and covers other things if you are a software development company. I can recommend a UK broker but not sure if they would write business for a US incorporated body.
Yes, 1 million sterling seems like a normal sort of amount for basic public liability insurance, anyway.

Just like your car insurance probably covers you for at least 1 million sterling/dollars of something or other.

The numbers sound large, but they are typical for small company policies.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
I found 1 Million Sterling insurance was quite cheap and covers other things if you are a software development company.
Define 'Cheap' please That's a relative term..

I'm not a software development company. I'm just one guy who wanted to get my app on the Ovi store in hopes that I could make some cash for my time. Incorporating a company was a leap of faith (and money). Being told AFTERWARDS that I now have to get a million dollars of insurance, and then i MIGHT be approved is just a kick in the face.

Originally Posted by range
Ummm. The US-$ 1 Mio. seems to apply for media content (music, movies, etc.) only, not for applications afaics. Same goes for the regional stuff: This also seems to apply for media content.
ALL N900 app submissions require Premium Accounts. You cannot submit an N900 app without a Premium account. Premium accounts are Media Geo accounts. Media Geo accounts require 1 Mil in liability insurance.

I'm sorry, but as much as I understand nokia's position, this is insane.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by jjx View Post
Just like your car insurance probably covers you for at least 1 million sterling/dollars of something or other.
It's just that my car insurance is like $240 a month... any sum like this is prohibitively expensive for any normal developer to add to their monthly bills.

Posts: 486 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York City
$1MM gen liability insurance will cost you around ballpark $500/year.

The Following User Says Thank You to hypnotik For This Useful Post:

Tags
one billion dollars!