Because I bought a PSP instead. It allows me to :
  • Do a little browsing
  • Play some games
  • Listen to AAC tunes I've ripped in iTunes
  • Watch videos on a far better screen
It cost £100 less than I paid for a 770 and probably half of the price of an 800.

Nokia blew it for me with N70 and the crap software. Dropping support for the 770 with things like the crap email client not fixed was just the final nail in their coffin.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by lucky-luke View Post
It's possible, but this is not what I had understood when I first saw the N770 and the maemo platform.

I'm sorry, but if I buy another tabletpc, I think it would be x86 compatible and/or a UMPC.
I don't want to be a laboratory rat for Nokia.
I think there were common misconceptions what the 770's scope was when it was introduced, and assumptions on the other side that purchasers understood this was a "test the waters" device. Of course, those are all assumptions on my part as well.

And not to excuse anything on anyone's part, but it should IMO be readily understood by purchasers that a first-generation device with significant deviations from the status quo (as the 770 was) is anything BUT a polished product, and will very likely be replaced by something very different.

Just another toy...

As long as my 770 can access my email, online banking, and bill payment, then I don't really need the 800.

The new features are nice, but are they worth another $400.00?

Not for me.

Would I choose the 800 over the 770 if I had not bought the 770 first?

Absolutely!

I can think of a lot of different things to do with $400....for example, saving up for an engagement ring

I agree with sonoros, I'm happy with my 770. SD-slots of N800 are tempting for movie storage and easy viewing of pictures taken with ixus but it's still not worth 400€. Well 770 still sells for 200€ in local eBay, so the upgrade is only half of the price.

Unlike the apocalypse prophets, I expect 770 to get N800 (bora) compatibility soon. Compatibility is just matter of having matching shared libraries as they did not change the toolchain. And almost every shared library on 770 is Open Source.

Posts: 242 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ USA & BharatVarsh ( INDIA - Kerala ).
Honestly all you great guys provided a lot of valuable information here as pros and cons with regards to your reason to root for N800 or Nokia 770.

As far gud’ ol me is concerned, I will not be buying a N800. This is simply because the Nokia 770 totally serves my purpose. All I wished before Nokia 770 was to have some sort of always-available-procurable Internet Access. And the Nokia 770 does this wonderfully. I know many people have said that they don’t have a stable Wi-fi Connection, others had multiple WSOD, still others could not get GAIM to work, many others had a hard time pairing the Nokia 770 to their GPRS\EDGE\EVDO etc phones.

So far I have been lucky not to have too much of any of these happen to me. Buying a Nokia N800 does not justify spending another $400 when some of the general things it does is like load a bit faster (due to faster processor), has more memory for applications, has two Memory Card Slots. Unfortunately none of these float my boat.

The Wi-Fi connection speed remains the same. The GPRS \ EDGE \ EVDO connections depend on your carrier and the functionality of the phone. I don’t need ultra fast connection to check my emails. I don’t need more memory to surf the web when the speed of the CPU is not ultra fast. I don’t need a faster processor to watch movie files or listen to music on the involved Nokias, I prefer Video / Stereo Devices etc for that.

I did not think of the Nokia 770 as a PDA in anyway whatsoever initially and don’t even do so now. I don’t care for I-phone either simply because I do think that the amount of money required for that device along with the contract involved is ridiculous. I just felt the need of a ‘ Device’ that will allow me to surf the Web at my whims and fancy. The Nokia 770 along with my Nokia 6682 Phone does that very well. What more do I need?

For me, the Nokia 770 has always been better than Dell Axioms, Palm Life Drive and the likes. So buying the N800 immediately within a year’s time simply is not justifiable to me, when there are no truly great changes to the hardware involved.

Last edited by Arjun; 2007-01-29 at 17:44.