Posts: 946 | Thanked: 1,650 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
FYI: I've uploaded my qemu-kvm build to extras-devel.
I guess the most promising approach would be install a Maemo i386 rootstrap in a chroot (it uses the same binary versions as armel) and install a Wine compiled for the Maemo i386 SDK.

you guys absolutely rule. i came across this post: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=14879

and someone posting there was nice enough to answer a question but when i mentioned wine, he might have clammed up haha. oh well.

i'm glad to see that you guys are excited about trying wine in qemu. i don't expect anything amazing, but i'm itching to see what it can do.

keep up the great work guys!

Posts: 173 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London, UK
I had a couple of hours spare this evening. Previously I've had issues running an x86 chroot. I've tried several known working directory hierarchies which chroot should work with. I've even tried an x86 chroot binary. So continuing down the LD_LIBRARY_PATH and ./ld-linux.so execution route I decided to try the exact instructions that worked in 2004 on PPC, old RedHat RPMs and wine version to guarentee old non NTPL stuff.

Unfortunately I think I've hit a blocker:

~/winefiles $ ../qemu-i386 -L /home/user/winefiles/l lib/ld-2.3.2.so usr/bin/wineserver
~/winefiles $ ../qemu-i386 -L /home/user/winefiles/l lib/ld-2.3.2.so usr/bin/wine-pthread notepad
Could not stat /mnt/floppy (No such file or directory), ignoring drive A:
err:dosmem:setup_dos_mem Cannot use first megabyte for DOS address space, please report
err:heap:HEAP_CreateSystemHeap system heap base address 0x65430000 not available
Segmentation fault

~/winefiles $ ../qemu-i386 -L /home/user/winefiles/l lib/ld-2.3.2.so usr/bin/wineserver
~/winefiles $ ../qemu-i386 -L /home/user/winefiles/l lib/ld-2.3.2.so usr/bin/wine-pthread pscp.exe
Could not stat /mnt/floppy (No such file or directory), ignoring drive A:
err:virtual:map_image Standard load address for a Win32 program (0x00400000) not available - security-patched kernel ?
wine: could not load L"C:\\windows\\pscp.exe" as Win32 binary
~/winefiles $

I need help from a qemu/wine/armlinux/kernel expert to continue.

The Following User Says Thank You to damion For This Useful Post:
This might be solved by a custom kernel (annoyingly), I don't have a /proc/sys/kernel/exec-shield-randomize or /proc/sys/kernel/exec-shield
but apparently echoing 0 in to those can help. There is a page covering the issue here: http://www.codeweavers.com/site/supp...icket_id=34072
I also found the following from 2006 http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine...ly/049937.html which covers the setup_dos_mem as maybe needing a differently compiled wine, which will be a pain.

Anyone else interesting in getting this going? I think it's looking possible now. Native x86 binaries seem to run reasonably quickly so this is definitely worth it, and quite a big win for the N900

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to damion For This Useful Post:
I've done it! I used a newer base x86 chroot and wine. Then bind mounted /tmp/.X11-unix and ran notepad and several other utils. It's not bad at all but is a tad more graphically sluggish than I was hoping for. winmine and sol.exe would be indistinguishable from native speeds as notepad is. But I've yet to try out a highly graphical game.

videos to be posted shortly.

Last edited by damion; 2010-05-15 at 15:17.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to damion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
The "right way" would be to use native wine with patched x86 loader, much like the older PPC wine used to do. In fact last time I looked at it (months ago) someone was submitting patches to winelib for this. This way rendering code is not emulated (= fast).

Last edited by javispedro; 2010-05-15 at 14:29.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Ooh, sounds good. Although I didn't find this as the way the PPC version worked, last I saw was it was qemu-ing wine like I am.

As for the videos, here is the first:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3v4YC9RT-g

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to damion For This Useful Post:
For non windows stuff, just native linux X11 binaries are pretty fast. I have a video of XV starting up to show this as an example, xterm, cfdisk and other things work, but I was mainly working on wine, seeing as all of these can be compiled natively.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMzTFMpAQVM

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to damion For This Useful Post:
Nice! That looks sweetly promising

does anyone know any good windows free games wine compatible and fast on a p90-p300 sort of range of machine?