Active Topics

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Home since friday 1-21

Last edited by debernardis; 2011-02-05 at 06:15.

Is this from the first batch? I'm stunned at the delay, but glad you've (nearly! ) got one finally.

Yes, first batch. Two years later. Not that techs are so much further in the field of umpc, as far as I know.

It's home.
And, err.... it's not your ordinary, mainstream device!

First impression: it's bulkier than expected from photos. XFCE that's onboard is quick enough. Both midori and arora crash in the first few minutes of use on quite simple sites.
Can't see how to press left and right mouse buttons - resorting to screen tapping.
No tv cable in the box. And that's all for now.
Attached Images

Last edited by debernardis; 2011-01-21 at 15:39.

wow the n900 looks tiny next to it haha. So how is it? planning on doing a lilttle review? btw, can maemo be installed on it?

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
Originally Posted by IsaacDFP View Post
wow the n900 looks tiny next to it haha...
The N900 IS tiny (esp. the screen).

How much did the Pandora cost you?

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Melbourne, Australia
If you don't know how to right-click or where you TV out cable is you should probably go have a look at the official forums @ boards.openpandora.org.

Chromium and Firefox seem to be recognised as the best browsers despite neither being pre-installed. Flash even works in Firefox with a little help from Nokia.

Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
Good to see you got it.
I had mine on pre-order for well over a year and canceled it December last year. Bought myself a new trail bike helmet and some weights! Big heavy plates! A much better deal I thought! N900 is far superior!

Originally Posted by IsaacDFP View Post
wow the n900 looks tiny next to it haha. So how is it? planning on doing a lilttle review? btw, can maemo be installed on it?
In terms of usability and completeness, and in comparison to the N900, it's a toy.
But if you forget your experience with the N900, you see that the Pandora is quite a complete and very portable UMPC and has enormous potential, due to the openness of the software & hardware, and the good performances.
Plus, on the forums there's the same relaxed and constructive mood that once one coud get here.
I am not the one who can install maemo on it, I lack the know-how, but since they are similar, hardware-wise, it's very likely it would be easy for one of the fine coders here. Maybe throwing in on a sdcard is enough?

Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
The N900 IS tiny (esp. the screen).
How much did the Pandora cost you?
1 Pandora + 1 spare 4000 mAh battery + 1 TV cable + shipping was 239 GBP.

Originally Posted by PhillipJ View Post
If you don't know how to right-click or where you TV out cable is you should probably go have a look at the official forums @ boards.openpandora.org. Chromium and Firefox seem to be recognised as the best browsers despite neither being pre-installed. Flash even works in Firefox with a little help from Nokia.
Thanks, now I got updated info. Presently running Firefox 3.6.12 from pnd. Got Flash working with a little help of ajack

I've flashed the latest beta firmware, and I'm bootingfrom an SD card (experience on N900 convinced me to never boot from SoC NAND ).
Everything works beautifully.

It will take you 2 months(TM) to get bored of that device