Poll: Which phone makes more sense to buy?
Poll Options
Which phone makes more sense to buy?

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by nokiaboy97 View Post
I am familiar with the specs of the device. Technically speaking, the pentaband radio is indeed compatible with AT&T's HSPA+ network, but I'm asking for feedback from people who have used the device on the network, in case they've experienced anything different. I wouldn't want to make such a hefty investment just to return the product.
It's not capable of HSPA+ (neither is 800), only HSDPA CAT10.
This isn't the thread to be asking (see OP for focus of this thread), there are AT&T specific threads.
In real world terms, no HSPA+ is more minor than it seems, there's been in-depth discussions why.
One I vaguely recall, was in the the "N9: it's finally here" thread.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-03-18 at 20:19. Reason: typo

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
It is not capable of HSPA+ (neither is 800), only HSDPA CAT10.
This isn't the thread to be asking (see OP for focus of this thread), there are AT&T specific threads.
Thank you very much. I must have confused the data speeds and figured they were one in the same. So plain old 1.5 gbps down? Ughkk, deal breaker for me. Thanks again.

Thank you very much. I must have confused the data speeds and figured they were one in the same. So plain old 1.5 gbps down? Ughkk, deal breaker for me. Thanks again.
Certainly not 1.5gbps, have a look at post #79 (since updated).
It's perfectly respectable as far as "3.5G" speeds go.
There's plenty of "augmented 3.5G" & "faux 4G" out there, that in RWT's isn't notably better.
LTE's unquestionably better, but it's only becoming truly efficient on phones arriving now/soon.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-03-18 at 20:40. Reason: typo

Well of course not GBPS, I'm just silly--1.5 mbps down. Thanks for the answers, advice and guidance. I'm just dreading true data plan prices but I think I'll have to succumb =/

Well of course not GBPS, I'm just silly--1.5 mbps down. Thanks for the answers, advice and guidance. I'm just dreading true data plan prices but I think I'll have to succumb =/
Well it's capable of much more than 1.5mbps (see post #79), whether or not you'll get that on avg. is another question.
Same for HSPA+, in fact in my experience it's less reliable at higher speeds than HSDPA, even though it does climb markedly higher.*
Some N9 users claim signal strength/stability is really poor, hasn't been my experience at all, WiFi has been pretty ordinary though.
Anyway, any further AT&T specific questions, just post in one of the threads here...

*but you're probably more likely to get higher stable speeds on avg. with it (so long as your carrier supports it well).

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-03-18 at 20:36. Reason: typo

Wow! the poll results are surprising. the n900 which is a 2 or maybe 3 years old phone got around a 42 % while the new (beter characteristics) n9 got around 52 %.

It is amazing how loved is the n900.

Thanks all.

I haven't looked at this thread for a few weeks, but based on my experience and what you all have said I have decided to get a new n900.

Originally Posted by Virtuality View Post
Wow! the poll results are surprising. the n900 which is a 2 or maybe 3 years old phone got around a 42 % while the new (beter characteristics) n9 got around 52 %.

It is amazing how loved is the n900.
Imho not that surprising. This is a forum of tinkerers. And unlike all Maemo devices up to the N900, the N9 was designed to be less hackable/extendable, the major culprits being:
  • Aegis (fortunately there are some promising community efforts)
  • lack of SD card slot (very useful e.g. when tinkering with different OSes)
  • no built-in h/w keyboard
  • not many hardware buttons
  • no IR or FM transmitter

The seemingly rather small bump in CPU speed, the lack of hardware HD video decoding and only rudimentary use of NFC doesn't help much either.

If they had taken the N900's design, just used a higher res screen (e.g. like the one on the Galaxy Note: 1280x800, multi-touch AND pressure sensitive stylus) and bumped the CPU to dual core (Harmattan is a true multi-threading multi-tasking OS after all) with corresponding GPU I'm quite sure it would have received near 100% in this poll.

The Following User Says Thank You to nephridium For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
N9 does have FP10.1 now. It's available for Fennec (Firefox) at the Store, as is Fennec.
You're better-off using one of the newer builds of Fennec from Romxa's site though, they're a bit snappier.
Also you can select/copy text in the native browser now (mem might be failing me here don't have phone w/me atm).
On N9 you can default to desktop UA or whatever other UA you want to use w/Fennec + Phony (add-on).
It's also possible to replace grob (N9's native browser) with a grob that has a modified UA of your choice.
Sounds like a bit of fine tunning for the out of the box device. I am not convinced my N9 browser and lack of the easy selection and copy/paste beats N900. I still however replaced N900 with N9.