Active Topics

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
The N950 is a highly desirable device.
Yes it is.

Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
To say the N950s are prizes for the big boys only is like saying the gold medals at the Olympics are for the big boys only.
As for this part, I'm asking you not to get my words wrong. What I was referring to, saying about "big boys", was just about two different ways to distribute devices among categories, which were discussed in that thread. And it was a figure of speech, don't hang on this.

Also, I am not whining princess, as you probably thought. Read the first sentence in this post. Taking devices from other competitions absolutely was not what I've asked for.

But as long as kojacker propounded to see if it's possible, I don't see any harm in asking.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
You can have the extra N950 from the activities I'm handling and you can have more if you wish, since a big majority there is preferring the N9 fkr various reasons.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
You can have the extra N950 from the activities I'm handling and you can have more if you wish, since a big majority there is preferring the N9 fkr various reasons.
Awesome!! We'll grab that extra one for a start, that will give us a great mix of both devices I know it will be appreciated, many thanks!

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
This N9 or N950 choice has introduced more than a bit of complexity. We could have simply said you'll get one or the other instead of taking preferences. I'd rather not complicate it further by trying to alter the ratio now. Also, I don't want to change things after the activities have started.
Still thinking about this. I understand it is more uncomfortable for us organizers. But then again, if some users prefer an N9 and some others prefer an N950 and we have the numerical flexibility to satisfy both... why not trying?

For instance: would it be an alternative to have 25 N950s for the Code Competition by borrowing 5 from each of the other 3 activities, where more people are clearly interested in the N9?

If the Community Awards organizers don't feel like swapping numbers at this point I would still happily do the change for Qt 5 and Nokia Store activities, since a big majority of developers prefer N9 there.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Still thinking about this. I understand it is more uncomfortable for us organizers. But then again, if some users prefer an N9 and some others prefer an N950 and we have the numerical flexibility to satisfy both... why not trying?

For instance: would it be an alternative to have 25 N950s for the Code Competition by borrowing 5 from each of the other 3 activities, where more people are clearly interested in the N9?
At the coding competition we're expecting to have a mix of new and experienced developers, some of them may already have a N950 and some of them would just prefer the N9, so it suits us to have a mixture of both devices to be honest. It sounds like the N9 is being a big draw elsewhere though, and as you say we should try to satisfy everyone's choice if we can Im really happy with the 11 N950/14 N9 mix that is currently penciled in for us but I think we'd be equally happy to swap it around (e.g.14 N950/11 N9) and free up a few more N9s for projects elsewhere if that's helpful?

14/11 works for me. Deal?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
14/11 works for me. Deal?
Deal!

(10 chars)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
The number of N9 / N950 devices for each activity is now reflected at http://wiki.maemo.org/2012_Device_Program

Thanks!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
qgil, you mentioned at the start of this program in the Coding Competition thread:
Another possible prize could be an invitation to Nokia World or Qt Dev Days, but I would need to ask. Not for all winners, maybe as an extra fior the top 1-3?
Is there any possibility of this happening?

The timeframe of the competition looks to be finalized now, with the closing date for submissions 10 September. Add on a couple of weeks for the voting process, and you have a minimum date for any event you can provide invitations for.

Sorry, too soon to promise anything but the intention is there.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post: