Posts: 54 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Wrocław / Poland
What about video calls on N900. On N8x0 I can use Gizmo or GTalk to make a video chat. But now since N900 have GSM/3G stack and the small thing on the left that looks like a webcam can we use it to make video call on the GSM?

Another thing is that Skype on N900 fotos looks difrent that version from OS2008. Will this version support video chat?

Kris

The Following User Says Thank You to kdrozd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by kdrozd View Post
But now since N900 have GSM/3G stack and the small thing on the left that looks like a webcam can we use it to make video call on the GSM?
Very interesting question. I would have guessed that of course it has video calls, because that's what defined UMTS here in my country when it was introduced. UMTS=video calls.

Comparing the specs to those of the N97, though, it looks different: video calls are listed in the N97 specs, but not for the N900. Also voice dialling/voice commands are not listed for the N900.

Both is a pity. I use voice dialling a lot (when I'm alone, that is), and video calls are always fun. They're not needed, they don't really serve any useful purpose, but we do them occasionally just for a good laugh.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Video calls are always fun. They're not needed, they don't really serve any useful purpose, but we do them occasionally just for a good laugh.
For those of us who have been thousands of miles away from home, it is a truely wonderful experience to view family and friends on Skype. For now, I have to use my 10 inch laptop. Some day I can use a 4 inch tablet.

The Following User Says Thank You to Den in USA For This Useful Post:
True,True

I'm now in Lisboa and my wife in Wrocław Poland over 3000km. Without video calls it will be hard for us.

It will be great for us to have maemo to PC or maemo to UMTS video calls.

The Following User Says Thank You to kdrozd For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Both is a pity. I use voice dialling a lot (when I'm alone, that is), and video calls are always fun. They're not needed, they don't really serve any useful purpose, but we do them occasionally just for a good laugh.
How did you come up with the assumptionj - that video calls are not needed ? Boy you must be living in your own world to make such a assumption for users of N900 (or for users of any communication platform). For all those who are away from family and friends (and I mean really away for long), its the manna from heaven (if I may take to the other extreme )

And to have video calling on your mobile device would really rock - since then you dont have to be tied to the desktop.

Only hope that front-facing camera is of better quality the the N800/N810 variety. Any specs on the resolution of that front-facing camera ?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nilchak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
You got me wrong. I was saying that it is a pity that video calling (standard 3G video calls) isn't supported on the N900. (Or so it seems from the specs I see on nokia.at)

As I read tech specification of N900 I think Nokia can give us surprise in October or like Apple updates with "new" "unblocked" "finished" things and maybe one of those will be video caling over 3G

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
Only hope that front-facing camera is of better quality the the N800/N810 variety. Any specs on the resolution of that front-facing camera ?
Secondary Camera

* Resolution 640 x 480
* F-Stop/Aperture f/2.8
* Image Formats JPEG
* Video Recording Resolution 640 x 480
* Video Recording Format H.263

No idea how much better it will be in real life than the cam in the N8x0.

EDIT: Alternatively, you could, theoretically use the main cam for video calls and connect the N900 to TV for the incoming picture. That would potentially mean nice quality in both directions (if your bandwidth can take it, of course). If you have the cable plugged in in the TV, it's still simpler than fiddle with a full desktop app.

Last edited by attila77; 2009-08-31 at 21:34.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Secondary Camera

* Resolution 640 x 480
* F-Stop/Aperture f/2.8
* Image Formats JPEG
* Video Recording Resolution 640 x 480
* Video Recording Format H.263

No idea how much better it will be in real life than the cam in the N8x0.

EDIT: Alternatively, you could, theoretically use the main cam for video calls and connect the N900 to TV for the incoming picture. That would potentially mean nice quality in both directions (if your bandwidth can take it, of course). If you have the cable plugged in in the TV, it's still simpler than fiddle with a full desktop app.
That would make phone seahhhh, never mind.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ US Air Force
i found this in my twitter feed, its not for the N900 but Fring adds Skype video support on S60
Symbian users... maybe that gives hope to N900 end users?

Last edited by jalladin; 2009-11-26 at 00:14.

Tags
nokia n900, video call