Poll: Would you buy an N10 with the above spec?
Poll Options
Would you buy an N10 with the above spec?

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
HTML5 is going to be most multiplatform (WORA) application language most likely anyway.
And the slowest, most user unfriendly, most compatibility-encumbered, most limited, ... Really, using HTML for applications is pure insanity. Do not fall for the "but it's easy to learn"-trap. Making great, new stuff is never easy. You'd better have quality tools to begin with. And quality tools tend to have a learning curve, which you will only understand and appreciate after you've conquered that curve and look down on that little shabby hill called HTML5.

I didn't like QML either, but they just want to separate UI from code and make it bloated, so be it, I'll adapt.
Separating those two is a good idea. And in fact, HTML5 is not so different there.

QML at least makes it easy to call deeper into the system using Qt, which allows much better system access, much more fine grained, way faster, and without jumping through hoops.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by specc View Post
He he, I have to admit the creepy factor is way up there. Still I think WP and Nokia will do well - eventually. There has never been sold as many WP phones as now, and it's all thanks to Nokia. Microsoft has this strange ability to evolve over time, absorb what is good about the competitors, and eventually end up with a product that is not necessarily the best product, but a product that is most versatile for most people and a product that have all the killer applications. I have seen this with Windows, the Office packages, MS Explorer.

But I have also seen Google evolving. They have succeeded with some things, and failed with other things (Google docs and Chrome OS for instance).

WP is fluent and easy and being improved all the time, Lumia phones are good looking and high quality and apps are added every minute now. I don't honestly see how this will fail, but I may of course be wrong. They may never be larger than Android, at least not in many years, but they will outgrow Apple rather soon on international basis. Besides, the goal is not to be biggest and badest, the goal is to make a self sustainable ecosystem.

Christ, now I feel the urge to get a Lumia phone, if for no other reason than to see how this ecosystem evolves

But I also got to have the 808 and the first OK Meltemi, hmmmm
Wait... so Microsoft is able to "strangely" evolve over time and eventually succeeds... but Google is the one that has only some success? Soooo... explain Microsoft Zune? Oh hell.. nevermind that, just explain the last 10 years of Microsoft Mobile's failure (from Windows CE all the way to Windows Phone 7), and the lack of that 'evolution' you mentioned, until someone ELSE innovates first? Hell, they couldn't even unseat Palm as the smartphone leader for all the resources they threw into trying. It took Apple, Google and RIM to do that--Microsoft was barely registering on the radar. I can't see Nokia turning that into an improvement for either of them and I certainly cannot see Microsoft nor Nokia unseating Apple anymore. We'll be lucky if Nokia is still around as a device manufacturer in five years at this rate. They might just have to go back to making boots and sportswear.

Microsoft may be selling more now than ever before--but everyone ELSE is selling MAGNITUDES more and some of them weren't even in the game for as long as Microsoft has been.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
Why do old TMO users keep coming back with new usernames?

specc == ericsson

Lumiaman == BigBadGuber
Well, I can at least understand "ericsson". Why you wouldn't want to be named after a brand that was bought up and shut down for being useless.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Three years? I was already told to wait ONE year to see Elop prove himself out.
If he fails this year then the curtains close pretty much. He has only once chance really, he better hope lumia 900 strikes platinum lol.

Anyway I care not for Nokia or any other company, as long as my money gives me something that works for me I'm good. All companies I have patronized in the past have shafted me one way or the other

I do care about the technologies and advancement in all platforms though so I'm looking forward to all mobile OS including Tizen and Boot 2 Gecko. Too bad we can't add Meego and WebOS to the mix too

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hotnikkelz For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
After the one Lumia 900 delay... I doubt folks even care now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by hotnikkelz View Post
If he fails this year then the curtains close pretty much. He has only once chance really, he better hope lumia 900 strikes platinum lol.

Anyway I care not for Nokia or any other company, as long as my money gives me something that works for me I'm good. All companies I have patronized in the past have shafted me one way or the other

I do care about the technologies and advancement in all platforms though so I'm looking forward to all mobile OS including Tizen and Boot 2 Gecko. Too bad we can't add Meego and WebOS to the mix too
This is PRECISELY the right attitude, as far as I'm concerned. Why WOULDN'T you have your best interest involved? Why dedicate yourself to a corporation, especially one that isn't dedicated to serving you? I can agree that I'd like to see BETTER... but Nokia has dashed enough hopes and broken enough promises that it now needs to EARN BACK its way into my loyalty, especially while their competitors are doing a far better job of earning my respect (as I've already explained).

Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image saying "Connecting People"... it should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and say "Potential Unrealized."

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Danramos, it doesn't matter. WP/Nokia already have the killer aps and so on. The ecosystem is operational, and people like it. It can only grow from here. Tablets en mass are coming this summer. Maybe it will grow too slow and people will just give up, maybe not.

I like Android as well. But you have to admit, there is not much going on except Android evolving slooooowly.

Nokia and Samsung deliver some coolness from time to time, something out of the ordinary. That is good enough for me.

Last edited by specc; 2012-03-21 at 06:52.

Originally Posted by specc View Post
Danramos, it doesn't matter. WP/Nokia already have the killer aps and so on. The ecosystem is operational, and people like it. It can only grow from here. Tablets en mass are coming this summer. Maybe it will grow too slow and people will just give up, maybe not.

I like Android as well. But you have to admit, there is not much going on except Android evolving slooooowly.
Slowly? Anything like Microsoft's 10+ years efforts at a tablet? It's pretty clear that Apple, Samsung, Asus... well, pretty much EVERBODY else can make a tablet running either iOS or Android and can do it fast, cheap and better than anything Microsoft has ever mustered even with the help of partners. The Microsoft app store is anemic at best and developers aren't particularly interested in putting effort into it. You cannot logistically claim that it CAN ONLY grow from here--it CAN shrink (and I'll point out Palm and RIM as examples, here). You would HOPE that it will grow from here, but that's not the same as claiming that it can only grow from here. Anybody care to recall the adventures of ANGRY MAN? Yeah. Microsoft hasn't had a positive track record so far and fares worse than most right now and it's trending badly, not better.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Danramos, personally I dont care what happens with WP. What I see is that people like what they get. WP/Nokia seems to be a good product that pelple simply like.

As for myself, 1st priority is the 808, and that is running Symbian...

The Following User Says Thank You to specc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
meeeh, WP is ********, simply enough,

The Following User Says Thank You to ibrakalifa For This Useful Post:

Tags
buysomethinelse, free oss, goodbyenokia, idiot thread, idiotibrakalifa, schizophrenia, tizen doa, tizen lives, tizen schmizen, troll fest!