Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by guyr View Post
Can i use mobilehotspot with usbnetwork (dummy network) ?
You mean having USB network connection via desktop and than sharing that connection over WiFi ?

Not with mobilehotspot per se (you can only select GPRS connections in the frontend) but you can make your own script for sharing the USB connection, it's actually really simple when you don't need to take any general cases into account. Check the thread linked in first post for some examples of early scripts.

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by rambo View Post
You probably mean the message where it says the saved (overclocking etc) settings were not loaded, no need to reboot you can load the settings from terminal http://wiki.maemo.org/Kernel_Power#C...ltage_settings

Are you running the kernel overclocked and if so how much ?

This crash too sounds like a heating issue, running both radios at full throttle (Ad-Hoc does not support the various WiFi powersaving extensions anyway and cellular will be loaded with traffick) will take plenty of power which equals plenty of waste heat.

There also might be a "crash log" in /dev/mtd2 ("cat /dev/mtd2" in terminal), if the kernel had time to write it before hitting the ground.
I seem to have the exact same problem here. Devices connect fine to the hotspot, and everything just works. However, every time I'm using it, the connection just mysteriously dies at some point. And by 'dies' I mean that nothing goes through, even though devices still claim to be connected and have their IP addresses. The time interval is completely random. Sometimes the connection survives only some minutes, sometimes several hours. Doesn't even seem to depend on the number of clients connected, nor the 3G signal strength. It's not like the device gets hot, either. At this point, stopping the hotspot will reboot the device. Unlike the parent, though, I haven't over clocked even though I have Titan's kernel, so it loads fine after the reboot. Go figure...

Originally Posted by Suurorca View Post
The time interval is completely random. Sometimes the connection survives only some minutes, sometimes several hours. Doesn't even seem to depend on the number of clients connected, nor the 3G signal strength. It's not like the device gets hot, either. At this point, stopping the hotspot will reboot the device. Unlike the parent, though, I haven't over clocked even though I have Titan's kernel, so it loads fine after the reboot. Go figure...
Interesting... there was a crash problem related to the IPHB module that some smart guy worked around (need to check the earlier thread) and a bug in the wireless adapter module too (ditto: people smarter [or at least more experienced in kernel debugging] than me worked around those). So it might be that you're somehow unlucky enough to trigger something similar.

In those cases /dev/mtd2 was showing something that helped debugging (AFAIRecall).

I cant get it working, same as joiku, the connection is there, i am able to connect with the ipad, but then im not alloed to surf... Why ?

(i do have the titan Kernel) Thx in Advance

Last edited by boxkillor; 2010-08-31 at 17:26.

Originally Posted by boxkillor View Post
I cant get it working, same as joiku, the connection is there, i am able to connect with the ipad, but then im not alloed to surf... Why ?
Can you ping the N900 from the iPad (I have no idea if it has or if it's possible to even install the required tools to debug this, much less give step-by-step instructions).

It's also possible that your cellular provider not only forbids "tethering"/"connection sharing" in the contracts but also does packet-inspection on traffic to enforce this (it's possible to detect NAT by examining TCP sequence numbers etc).

Originally Posted by rambo View Post
Can you ping the N900 from the iPad (I have no idea if it has or if it's possible to even install the required tools to debug this, much less give step-by-step instructions).

It's also possible that your cellular provider not only forbids "tethering"/"connection sharing" in the contracts but also does packet-inspection on traffic to enforce this (it's possible to detect NAT by examining TCP sequence numbers etc).
Hi, thanks for ur help , okay i can connect to my n900 from the ipad. But when i want to surf/or use the appstore, the ipad says "no connection" (but i am connected at all). I reflashed my n900 to factory settings and tried Joikuspot, i wondered cause it worked straight away. then i installed MobileHotspot, which worked after all either.After that i started with my own installprocedure...and guess? ^^ nothing of them both worked anymore, so i guess it depends on a/or more certain programm/s which block/s it. One i found out was the Ip-Widget. ah and from the laptop side, i were able to connect too before installing the other apps, even with encryption (only tested WEP)

My Provider didnt locked my connection, i have extra chosen a contract where my ports arent closed, but thanks for the reminder

Last edited by boxkillor; 2010-09-01 at 10:54.

it is a joke? i mean is it for real that in order to have an working application i have to do something with the kernel, and write a script than i have to build up a whole operation system than hack it twice?

i am a regular user. i never even typed in a command or else. i just want my n900 to share the hot spot.

I thought it is enough to buy the phone than follow the installation window. Thats what i did and it does not work.

wonder why should it be so complicated...

Originally Posted by gomika View Post
i am a regular user. i never even typed in a command or else.

I thought it is enough to buy the phone than follow the installation window.

Well, then the n900 is the completely wrong phone for you

Looks like a troll but I'll bite.

i am a regular user. i never even typed in a command or else. i just want my n900 to share the hot spot.
Joiku will be happy to have your business then (not that they have a perfect track-record either but that's never been my problem).

it is a joke? i mean is it for real that in order to have an working application i have to do something with the kernel, and write a script than i have to build up a whole operation system than hack it twice?

I thought it is enough to buy the phone than follow the installation window. Thats what i did and it does not work.

wonder why should it be so complicated...
You don't need to write any scripts unless you want to change something the UI does not yet handle or do something the mobilehotspot backend script does not support at all.

Custom kernel is a requirement since the stock one lacks support for something called netfilter (Joiku works around this in "interesting" way).

Frankly the big WARNING about custom kernel is supposed to scare away people who refuse to do a little bit of debugging themselves in the case the things don't go according to the instructions.

The Following User Says Thank You to rambo For This Useful Post:
was piss easy to install, and works waaaaaaaaay better than joikuspot!

The big start button made me laugh too

If you don't want to risk installing the cutom kernel then do as Rambo says and get joikuspot.