Active Topics

Posts: 345 | Thanked: 467 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Germany
There are some things in fremantle i really don't like and which i think nokia should re-think. This thread is to voice these things and to see whether others see the same problems (in which case nokia might want to re-think things) or if they are fine with this (in which case i might want to re-think things).
  • It will not contain libosso-help anymore and thus won't have any central help system at all anymore. The idea is that every application now does its own help system however it wants. This is imho a very bad step backwards as it will just cause help systems to disappear
  • The finger scrollable text windows (HildonPannableArea with GtkTextView inside) don't support text selection. Thus most applications like modest and e.g. the web browser won't allow to select text for copy'n paste (this is still possible using the cursor keys but only if the text is actually editable and has a visible cursor)

For me both of these are really show-stoppers and i can't understand why they are happening. We just learned that even apple can't live without copy'n paste on the iphone ...

Feel free to add more ...

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Master of Gizmo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
The file chooser dialog is really limited on screen estate. What should happen if an user has a folder with 1000 of files? Break his fingers or gain arthritis?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
I have to agree on both points (though, I didn't know osso-help was disappearing ).

As for the second, there is a bug filed in the Bugzilla; please vote it up if you feel it's worthy!

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4619

Author of TouchSearch -- web searching software for Maemo 5.

Mobile Device lineage: Palm Z22 -> Palm TX -> Nokia N800 -> Nokia N900

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BrentDC For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Master of Gizmo View Post
Thus most applications like modest and e.g. the web browser won't allow to select text for copy'n paste
bummer.

i hadn't realized that.

i write almost as much as i read, using quotes from other websites as much as possible.

not being able to copy text from a browser window to, say, an email or another browser window where i write a new blog entry is just like not having a browser at all: i'd need to wait until i'm home.

they need to find a way around this that's generic and doesn't rely on the author of a specific software to implement a solution.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
This all sounds very strange. Yesterday I installed 3.0 on my iPod touch; the cut-and-paste is very slick and very fast. What is going on here? Nokia better get it together.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Guys. Might I suggest continue this thread once you see the actual release and software and see what is there and what is not there and how things are solved. Really.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
Guys. Might I suggest continue this thread once you see the actual release and software and see what is there and what is not there and how things are solved. Really.
So, what I should be taking away here is that text selection is confidential?

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
No, it's just that you're making rather strong jumps, say from a HildonPannableArea property and how it is set to being able or not being able to do something.

It's no more or less confidential than anything else there.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
...it's just that you're making rather strong jumps...
Agreed on:
Thus most applications like modest and e.g. the web browser won't allow to select text for copy'n paste
But the foundation,
  • The finger scrollable text windows (HildonPannableArea with GtkTextView inside) don't support text selection.
appears to be a legitimate developer concern. How should programmers using the SDK proceed in building fully functional Maemo 5 applications when this GTK control would traditionally be called into play?

I'm all for
...continue this thread once you see the actual release...
in regards to hardware details, Nokia apps, and fancy task switchers, but in this case developers have hit a what appears to be a seriously troublesome point in the SDK, its documentation, or both. Unlike "guess the directional control method and win a prize", this is actually hurting development, and therefore, working against the goals of the SDK. If there's a misunderstanding, a simple fix, or a work around, I think an explanation of it would be greatly appreciated.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Here's another one - https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4618

I remember getting pissed off at Nokia because they wouldn't include the rotation patch into the Diablo kernel and xserver. But it would be a supported mode in Fremantle and that was, er, the end of that bug. Now, the bug above points out something wrong with the way Nokia's doing this implementation and it's a WONTFIX. The WONTFIX issue never bothered me before (say, except for the diablo rotation bug) but if Nokia are already giving out the WONTFIXes - for legit bugs - in their new OS, then they can **** off.

Last edited by qwerty12; 2009-06-09 at 22:58.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post: