Notices

hey i just wanted to say thanks. i really like the rapier app. it'd be great if the menus were more finger friendly, i love the suggestion earlier of the chapter/verse scrolls to be similar to the calendar.

the app is working great- but there is one image next to the left/right arrows that doesnt show properly. the button activates the search box on the left, but the image on the button is just white with a cross like there is an error.

thanks again - great app.

Originally Posted by joshn53 View Post
A status update for Katana:
* Packaging: I went ahead and created the debian/ files needed to create a proper .deb package. This is the first time I've done this, so it might not be done correctly, but it works for me. Nathan/pamadio, would you mind looking over the files to make sure they look right?
All i can say is the package can be build, but i never was involved with packaging qt application, so i do not know how things should be done 'the proper way' (i'm still learning qt, and can not even tell how to use qmake with some third party lib on top of that).

Now, when i run katana, it segfault, and if i try to gdb the core, gdb segfault too, so i m a bit stuck

Originally Posted by pamadio View Post
Now, when i run katana, it segfault, and if i try to gdb the core, gdb segfault too, so i m a bit stuck
Do you have other sword modules installed? If not, then that is the problem. You'll need to install them through rapier.

If you do have, it's probably because dependencies aren't set up correctly? What qt4-maemo5* packages are installed?

Do you have other sword modules installed? If not, then that is the problem. You'll need to install them through rapier.
I have ESV installed in /home/user/sword

I launched katana with :

SWORD_PATH=/home/user/sword run-standalone.sh /opt/katana/katana

If you do have, it's probably because dependencies aren't set up correctly? What qt4-maemo5* packages are installed?

[sbox-FREMANTLE_X86: ~/dev/katana/trunk] > dpkg -l |grep qt4
ii libqt4-maemo5-core 4.6.0~git20091218-0maemo1 Qt 4 core module
ii libqt4-maemo5-dbus 4.6.0~git20091218-0maemo1 Qt 4 D-Bus module
ii libqt4-maemo5-dev 4.6.0~git20091218-0maemo1 Qt 4 development files
ii libqt4-maemo5-gui 4.6.0~git20091218-0maemo1 Qt 4 GUI module
ii libqt4-maemo5-maemo5 4.6.0~git20091218-0maemo1 Qt 4 Maemo5 module
ii libqt4-maemo5-multimedia 4.6.0~git20091218-0maemo1 Qt 4 Multimedia Libraries
ii libqt4-maemo5-network 4.6.0~git20091218-0maemo1 Qt 4 network module
ii libqt4-maemo5-opengl 4.6.0~git20091218-0maemo1 Qt 4 OpenGL module
ii libqt4-maemo5-phonon 4.6.0~git20091218-0maemo1 Qt 4 Phonon Libraries
ii libqt4-maemo5-script 4.6.0~git20091218-0maemo1 Qt 4 script module
ii libqt4-maemo5-sql 4.6.0~git20091218-0maemo1 Qt 4 SQL module
ii libqt4-maemo5-svg 4.6.0~git20091218-0maemo1 Qt 4 SVG module
ii libqt4-maemo5-test 4.6.0~git20091218-0maemo1 Qt 4 test module
ii libqt4-maemo5-webkit 4.6.0~git20091218-0maemo1 Qt 4 WebKit module
ii libqt4-maemo5-xml 4.6.0~git20091218-0maemo1 Qt 4 XML module
ii libqt4-maemo5-xmlpatterns 4.6.0~git20091218-0maemo1 Qt 4 XML Patterns module

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
There's still a lot of stuff not done:
* Right now you swipe vertically to scroll; I'd also like to be able to swipe horizontally to page up/down. This is on hold because Qt's gesture support is broken on the N900 right now (they have screencasts with it working, but their gestures sample doesn't work on the device.)
* Better use of the keyboard: starting to type on the keyboard should either pull up the search dialog or verse selection - I'm not sure which.
* I haven't started on module download/installation.
* It would be nice to have configurable font size.
* Oh, I temporarily borrowed BibleTime's icon. Someone should come up with one. I really think that it should be a Bible, since there's nothing in the name to indicate that it's a Bible reader.
Very cool
- typing on keyboard should probably default to search (personally speaking, search and verse selection should be the same, probably with some type of word completion for those book/chapt/verse names since those are readily available from the books installed)

Originally Posted by hellomezzy
hey i just wanted to say thanks. i really like the rapier app. it'd be great if the menus were more finger friendly, i love the suggestion earlier of the chapter/verse scrolls to be similar to the calendar.
Rapier won't be updated beyond getting it working on Maemo 5 devices. Katana is the effort underway to make a Bible reader that better fits the general user interface guidelines of Maemo 5 and beyond. Stay tuned to this thread for updates on both apps.

i can't get this to run..it shows emptiness when i select any chapter.

The segfault i experienced only occur when using /home/user/sword as SWORD_PATH , i have no clue why, but things worked better if i use another directory to store my modules.

I have several question about katana:

1) How on earth do you use gdb on this thing ?

I compiled it with -g (after adding it in the Makefile manually), but i always end up with gdb segfaulting when it is supposed to stop at a break point.

[sbox-FREMANTLE_X86: ~/dev/katana/trunk] > SWORD_PATH=/home/user/sword2/ run-standalone.sh gdb ./katana
GNU gdb (GDB) 6.8.50.20090417
Copyright (C) 2009 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu".
For bug reporting instructions, please see:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>...
(gdb) b BibleInfo::getVerseText
Breakpoint 1 at 0x8055a8f: file bible_text_source.cpp, line 104.
(gdb) run
Starting program: /home/user/dev/katana/trunk/katana
free(): invalid pointer 0x9bf0033!
free(): invalid pointer 0x9bb0033!
Xlib: extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":2.0".
/usr/bin/run-standalone.sh: line 11: 7138 Segmentation fault (core dumped) "$@"

2) There is a problem when using french module encoded in utf-8 such as FreSegond

The following patch makes the display works correctly using QTextCodec::setCodecForCStrings(QTextCodec::codecF orName("UTF-8")) ; in InfiniteScrollViewer::insertParagraph

http://81.56.33.6/melmoth/katana-utf8.diff

However, i guess a cleaner way would be to first check the module is actually encoded in utf8 before doing so.

3) would it be possible to use some tool such as designer to generate the layout with a nice gui thingy ? :-)

4) what about a mailing list hosted on garage ?

The segfault i experienced only occur when using /home/user/sword as SWORD_PATH , i have no clue why, but things worked better if i use another directory to store my modules.
The problem was that Katana was requiring the KJV version to be installed. I'm guessing the path you specified didn't include it. I've fixed this.

I have several question about katana:

1) How on earth do you use gdb on this thing ?
I have no idea; I don't use GDB. See the comment about GDB in this post, though: http://labs.trolltech.com/blogs/2009...ext-iteration/

2) There is a problem when using french module encoded in utf-8 such as FreSegond
Thanks for the bug report. I'll try to look into this soon.

3) would it be possible to use some tool such as designer to generate the layout with a nice gui thingy ? :-)
It's probably possible, although it might not work well at this point, because of the immaturity of Qt 4.6. But, why? Would that gain something that we don't have already? I'm actually quite happy creating the UI's in code...

Yes, please! I really don't like forums, but I'm not an administrator on the garage project, so I can't do a lot.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Yes, please! I really don't like forums, but I'm not an administrator on the garage project, so I can't do a lot.
I really wish Google Wave were less a property of Google. Mailing lists are a bear to keep track of (and the same can be said of forum threads). But at least Wave solves the organization bit.

If there's a list, I'll keep an eye there and do my best to post back here the relevant pieces. If devs want to use that for the primary communication channel, that should be fine.

It's probably possible, although it might not work well at this point, because of the immaturity of Qt 4.6. But, why? Would that gain something that we don't have already? I'm actually quite happy creating the UI's in code
I posted earlier a new topic just because of this fact. I'd personally like to use something that was closer to the code to create UIs, but devs are happy with PPT/Visio wireframes with blocks and text - and there's a solid graphic designer or two that can put skin on it - then we might be fine in keeping it simple there.

Three things:

1. I now have a n900! It is a sweet machine!

2. I've changed you to an admin.
3. and also added a mailing list to the katana site (2-24 hrs for it to be created)

Nathan.

Tags
bible, maemo 5, rapier, reference browser, religious apps, scripture reader, sword