Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by @SR View Post
Boottmenu does not work for me. I've edited preinit to see what was the problem. It seems kernel modules for mmc card are not loaded at that time (even if i try to insmod them manually). I don't even see anything about them in dmesg (if I save it's output to file at that time). And if i try to copy lsmod output to file it results empty file at that time. And there are no mmcblk* in /dev.
What modules and in what sequence should be loaded for mmc support at boot time in preinit?
MMC modules are loaded in bootmenu.sh. The bootmenu support in preinit doesn't work as such through console and all that stuff, it just calls /bootmenu.sh if keyboard slider is open.

Also, I just noticed I was pointing at the wrong URL. Fixed now.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2009-12-03 at 18:05.

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Maryland, USA
Does VMware run on the N900?
Here you have Windows and Android running on the N800
http://www.slashgear.com/nokia-n800-...-demo-2635750/

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Russia
When I was editing preinit I disabled bootmenu (I was trying it on clean system after reflash).
When I was trying to boot using bootmenu I've added mmc in menu, copied the system to mmc (actual i unpacked rootfs.jffs2 from firmware), but when I selected mmc in menu system booted from internal memory.

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Russia
I finally managed to mount card at boot time. It is strange that mmcblk0 and mmcblk1 devises were switched places at that time. After card mount pivot_root goes ok (root file system is now on card, i even could write a file on it after that). But the problem is that phone is constantly rebooting with card (at first it shows Nokia logo for some time, then black blank screen and than it reboots). Can the switched mmcblk0 and mmcblk1 devises be the problem? Is it possible to get some boot log to find what is wrong?
Can the /sbin/init be replaced by the init provided by busybox (maybe with cone init.d scripts rewritten)?

Posts: 236 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ NE UK
Would it be possible in principle to use the bootmenu package to boot into an alternate kernel but keep the existing root fs?

I'm wondering whether this could be used in conjunction with the kernel mentioned in the wifi hotspot thread in order to achieve iptables/NAT without reflashing ("without reflashing" assumes that the bootmenu install goes ok )

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by kwotski View Post
Would it be possible in principle to use the bootmenu package to boot into an alternate kernel but keep the existing root fs?
Sadly my kexec experiments failed.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 236 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ NE UK
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Thanks for the reply.. I'm not sure kexec is what I'm after though. Isn't it for booting into a new kernel when one kernel is already running?

I'm afraid I don't know very much about Maemo, though I am reasonably ok with "normal" linux, so can I explain it like this? I would like something like a grub or lilo bootloader, so that I can choose a different kernel at boot time, but without reflashing the device, and boot into the existing filesystem.

"bootmenu" sounds like it might do this, but maybe bootmenu depends on kexec in some way I didn't understand?

Edit: Oh, hold on, I think I get it.. bootmenu is really for switching the mounts and init processes at boot-time, not for running a different kernel, right? I was thinking too much in terms of standard linux bootloaders. And hence, you would indeed need kexec to get a different kernel running...

Last edited by kwotski; 2009-12-10 at 22:38.

Posts: 280 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Switzerland
Running Android on N900

Posts: 62 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ France
Originally Posted by God View Post
Running Android on N900
Frankly that would be awesome.

Even running Android with VMWare would be enough for me..

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
I just posted some 2.6.32-rc1 patches to make kexec work,
maybe give them a try:

http://marc.info/?l=linux-omap&m=126119434601815&w=2

They still do not work for rebooting the Maemo kernel though.

Regards,

Tony

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tmlind For This Useful Post:

Tags
alternative os, android, bootloader, diversity on n900?, kexec, linux, more freedom?, n900, operating system