Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

reflash doesn't touch MyDocs - just don't flash vanilla-emmc. home !=MyDocs, the latter it's just different partition mounted as /home/MyDocs.

But, what does it have to do with broken USB thread?

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2014-05-05 at 17:22.

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Sorry for offtopic... I misread the topic (thought it was about broken n900 phone - not the usb port) ... so I understand it's enough to just do typical rootfs reflash and it's enough - no addditional steps to do? Thanks for your answer.

The Following User Says Thank You to majaczek For This Useful Post:
In fact, when you flash FIASCO image, your /home (/dev/mmcblk0p2) get's recreated on first boot. So, you will have everything fresh except MyDocs, which will remain as it is.

And, no problem
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
In fact, when you flash FIASCO image, your /home (/dev/mmcblk0p2) get's recreated on first boot.
No, it does not. Source: I've just checked.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hxka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by hxka View Post
No, it does not. Source: I've just checked.
That is true.
At least partly. Once in early Maemo days I needed to flash combined image too. And was surprised that my contacts (residing on /home/user) were still alive. But I do not know aboit other parts. For sure some apps will not work anymore (but cannot remember).

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Sounds completely OT in this thread but what the heck...

This is my understanding:
  • The "combined" image flashes the NAND, It is called "combined" because it "combines" some (all?) of the NAND partitions into a single image. It flashes the kernel and the rootfs. (Anything else?)
  • Un-optified apps are installed in rootfs. Therefore, flashing the "combined" image will wipe them. Moreover, some apps store their data in rootfs as well. Notably Hildon Desktop (/usr/share/applications/hildon). Flashing rootfs will wipe that too.
  • Optified apps that store their data in rootfs (a few naughty ones) will survive but the data will not. Sometimes just running the affected app will recreate default settings. That means that e.g. a Foo game will work but your saved levels and top score table will be reset.
  • Optified apps that store their data in /home (most of them) will survive. So the Foo game will remember the saved levels and scores.
  • Here's a twist though. Optified app themselves may have survived but, since both /usr/share/applications/hildon and /var/lib/dpkg are on rootfs and have been reset in the flashing process, their menu entries, as well as any record of them ever being installed in the first place, will have gone! In other words, you get crippled apps. The only way to get them back is to reinstall them.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Solved my problem.

what I did:

mkfs.ext3 on /dev/mmcblk0p2 (from backupmenu root console)
then
flashed combined image to device

problems seem solved the way I wanted

now going to install some software :P

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to majaczek For This Useful Post:
Posts: 68 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ Melbourne, Australia
Hi guys... sorry back to being On Topic...

Ok.. I have a problem. My USB port fell off. I've had this phone since new and well it's done a good dash, but I still want to keep her alive.

This is what the mboard now looks like...

What are those things as per the pic please?

Here is the USB connector itself...

As you may see, I've tried to re-solder the corners back, but no joy.

I have ordered some micro-USB connectors from eBay (yes Type 2 5 pin, etc), and I really want to fix this phone.

I am hoping all I have to do is align the new USB port with the 5 connectors on the motherboard and with a >>tiniest<< amount of glue or something to hold it in place. Or do I have to solder it?

Thanks for any tips and advice.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
You'll certainly have to solder it at a minimum: there's no guarantee you'll get good contact as needed otherwise. A small drop of epoxy under the body is highly recommended.

The reason the connectors come off is due to poor tinning and/or unclean surfaces, so make sure neither of those is an issue before you solder. Otherwise, solder will just bead off.

You'll need a VERY fine tip on your soldering iron, and I recommend a magnifying glass and a way to secure the board during work.

(disclaimer: I'm the former Nokia engineer who originally discovered the issue and I haven't logged in here in years...)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 68 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ Melbourne, Australia
Thanks TexRat. Any comments on the pictures I posted in my original post above? Where should I solder and where should I.place a drop of epoxy? Thanks again.

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty