Hi guys, My N9 is totally ruined and the only thing I had was a backup file from a week ago... but I can't get any use to it...

it's a .lbu file and I can't convert it or use it in any phone.
I just want my contacts back.

Anybody there?

Thx!

Last edited by pvngr; 2013-03-14 at 20:52.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pvngr View Post
Hi guys, My N9 is totally ruined and the only thing I had was a backup file from a week ago... but I can't get any use to it...

it's a .lbu file and I can't convert it or use it in any phone.
I just want my contacts back.

Anybody there?

Thx!
Just out of intrest, how did you take the backup?
.lbu type file does not sound familiar to me... The N9 own backup method produces zipfiles.
Did you use some external application, nokia suite or something? And if so, can you use the same application to decode the files?

You say your N9 is totally ruined, how's that? Unless you dropped it in water or smashed it really bad it could still be recoverable.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
IIRC .lbu is Nokia Link or Nokia Suite backup file's format...

Getting things out of there though is something I'm not too sure about...

Smashed and water... no comments

I did the backup with Nokia Link and got a .lbu file.
I would really appreciate any method to recover my contacts.

Btw, what about those zip files, what would i do with them and if I have them, in what folder should I look?

Thx again

it might open up with nbuexplorer. If not, try renaming it from .lbu to .nbu and give it a go. Should let you see your contacts and export them as vcards. You might even be able to export out your messages but I cant remember about them.

Originally Posted by Nad View Post
it might open up with nbuexplorer. If not, try renaming it from .lbu to .nbu and give it a go. Should let you see your contacts and export them as vcards. You might even be able to export out your messages but I cant remember about them.
Already tried both and nothing...
thx

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
IIRC it simply is a zip format. Open it with 7zip or rename it to .zip and let your OS handle it. Contacts are in there as easy vcf's.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pvngr View Post
Smashed and water... no comments

I did the backup with Nokia Link and got a .lbu file.
I would really appreciate any method to recover my contacts.

Btw, what about those zip files, what would i do with them and if I have them, in what folder should I look?

Thx again
When you take a backup via the Harmattan setup menu, the created files are stored on your MyDocs folder (the folder that is exported to PC when you connect N9 in USB memory mode) under ".backups" directory.
The format for the contacts is a sqlite database dump.

OK guys, i found a folder with. vcf files with my contacts of about a year ago. The only problem is that i have to load them one by one to Kies in order to get them on my S3.
Also I found the zip files but i can't manage to find any compatible file in the contacts folder that samsung reads.

thx