Posts: 196 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Dear Fellows,

I have recently owned N9 along side with my monster N900 and am very happy

Everything is ok with the device except that I found that while the battery is almost empty and connect it to a charger to use the device, it is not charging it seems like draining the battery while charging the device so that i have to leave the phone alone in order to get full charged

so is there any solution for this cuz it's really odd that all mobile phones can be used while charging it only this device i cannot use it while charging and battery indicator not showing that its charging more than half

Please advice

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Finland - Home of Nokia & Linux
Do you charge it via USB or AC power?

The Following User Says Thank You to SaQ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 196 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Originally Posted by SaQ View Post
Do you charge it via USB or AC power?
Hello Friend I charge it via AC power not usb !!!

is there any answer ?????

Originally Posted by salahkhani View Post
is there any answer ?????
Shoot up a terminal on the phone, run top in it and see if you have something running steadily.
If so, see where it is from and / or kill it

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

The Following User Says Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tortoisedoc View Post
Shoot up a terminal on the phone, run top in it and see if you have something running steadily.
If so, see where it is from and / or kill it
thanks my friend but what do you mean by shoot up didn't get it am still new

for example watch youtube and charging it is draining the battery or using wazzapp and charging is the same so i have to let it charge fully in order to use again

very strange

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
It's simple maths. The CPU voltage is constant. I don't know how much it is for the N9 but let's assume 3.3V for the sake of illustration. Then let's assume that a CPU busy with something intensive like watching Youtube takes 500mA. Power = voltage * current, so in this case 3.3V * 500mA = 1.65W.

Now, a nearly full battery has about 4.2V. How much current does the device draw from it? The same formula applies, power = voltage * current, i.e. current = power / voltage. 1.65W / 4.2V = 393mA. That assumes a 100% efficiency, but let's ignore that for now to keep things simple.

How does the situation change with a nearly empty battery? To start with, the voltage can drop to as little as 2.7V. How much current does the phone drain from it? 1.65W / 2.7V = 611mA.

What does that tell us? Imagine your wall charger is capable of delivering 600mA. In the "battery full" case, it has 600mA - 393mA = 207mA to spare to charge the battery. In the "battery empty" case, it has 600mA - 611mA = 11mA missing! So, your phone continues draining the battery even when on a charger.

The solution is simple. Either stop using power-hungry applications (phone calls, big downloads, anything CPU-intensive...) or get a charger that can supply more current.

Please remember that my numbers are made up, just for illustration. Someone might have the correct numbers, but the general idea would remain the same.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
It's simple maths. The CPU voltage is constant. I don't know how much it is for the N9 but let's assume 3.3V for the sake of illustration. Then let's assume that a CPU busy with something intensive like watching Youtube takes 500mA. Power = voltage * current, so in this case 3.3V * 500mA = 1.65W.

Now, a nearly full battery has about 4.2V. How much current does the device draw from it? The same formula applies, power = voltage * current, i.e. current = power / voltage. 1.65W / 4.2V = 393mA. That assumes a 100% efficiency, but let's ignore that for now to keep things simple.

How does the situation change with a nearly empty battery? To start with, the voltage can drop to as little as 2.7V. How much current does the phone drain from it? 1.65W / 2.7V = 611mA.

What does that tell us? Imagine your wall charger is capable of delivering 600mA. In the "battery full" case, it has 600mA - 393mA = 207mA to spare to charge the battery. In the "battery empty" case, it has 600mA - 611mA = 11mA missing! So, your phone continues draining the battery even when on a charger.

The solution is simple. Either stop using power-hungry applications (phone calls, big downloads, anything CPU-intensive...) or get a charger that can supply more current.

Please remember that my numbers are made up, just for illustration. Someone might have the correct numbers, but the general idea would remain the same.
Thanks Fellow for your explanation but no wonder how it is draining the battery that fast.. I have not noticed that on N900 or previous nokia phones

thanks for the explanation

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by salahkhani View Post
Thanks Fellow for your explanation but no wonder how it is draining the battery that fast.. I have not noticed that on N900 or previous nokia phones

thanks for the explanation
Of course it does not do this normally.
You may have some process that's eating up all your CPU and hence it's drinking up the juice quickly.
That can happen on other platforms too

Just check your top for CPU hogs.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: