Originally Posted by tso View Post
thats the funny thing, we have multiple calendars, todos, contact lists and whatsnot, but no working sync feature. whats up with that?
It's a non-trivial problem, anyone who has tried can tell you that. In fact it's an extremely difficult problem, especially when people want to sync with abominations like Outlook.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
maybe so, but a port of opensync and a ui of some kind would be a good start...

Last edited by tso; 2008-02-18 at 20:33.

if you want the garnwt vm, will give you 2 way palm sync over wifi with your pc. I use ermining with the gpe suite. it's one way but hasn't become a problem yet (google cal). as others are pointing out video time is dependent on video type. I have video that'll kill the battery in 10 min. On another note, reading your wish list, you'd probably do better with a iPod touch , especially if your going to find yourself re-encoding video anyway. That's heresy around these parts though.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
That's heresy around these parts though.
"Right! If that's the way you want it -- Cardinal! Poke him with the soft cushions!"

Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
On another note, reading your wish list, you'd probably do better with a iPod touch , especially if your going to find yourself re-encoding video anyway. That's heresy around these parts though.
Well i did some tests with the Internet Tablet Video Converter, and i'm pretty sure i won't be converting my library any time soon. Reencoding the Videos for one Weekend trip would probably take about 6 hours (Probably the night from Thursday to Friday). And since the recommended resolution is lower than most of the material i have, i would like to keep the source files. Converting everything would take month and lots of space. I'm probably going to have a "to watch list" pre converted and if i want to take something else, i just take it in whatever resolution it is in...

The touch isn't much of an option to me, among other things i don't want to advocate "closed by design" architecture. I like to tinker with devices, I have an iPod Nano and i put linux on it and wrote some small video player, mainly to prove it could be done...

Also i don't think the touch would offer me enough possibilities for PIM / E-Mail Managment.
The closest other competitors would either be an eee or an Archos 605 Wifi...

Thank you all for the information sofar, i've learned quite abit about the limitations of the N810, but i'm pretty sure i will still get one...

Bye,
NsN

Originally Posted by No Such Nick View Post
Well i did some tests with the Internet Tablet Video Converter, and i'm pretty sure i won't be converting my library any time soon. Reencoding the Videos for one Weekend trip would probably take about 6 hours (Probably the night from Thursday to Friday). And since the recommended resolution is lower than most of the material i have, i would like to keep the source files. Converting everything would take month and lots of space. I'm probably going to have a "to watch list" pre converted and if i want to take something else, i just take it in whatever resolution it is in...

The touch isn't much of an option to me, among other things i don't want to advocate "closed by design" architecture. I like to tinker with devices, I have an iPod Nano and i put linux on it and wrote some small video player, mainly to prove it could be done...

Also i don't think the touch would offer me enough possibilities for PIM / E-Mail Managment.
The closest other competitors would either be an eee or an Archos 605 Wifi...

Thank you all for the information sofar, i've learned quite abit about the limitations of the N810, but i'm pretty sure i will still get one...

Bye,
NsN

The Nokia Internet Converter is a POS. Its slow and sucks ***. I use either WinAVI Video Converter or Intervideo IVideotoGo. Both of those convert videos faster. The only thing is that is converts AVI files to 320X240 instead of 400X240...not really a big deal.

I'm looking for a PIM app as well for my N800 running OS2008. So far I haven't had any luck with Garnet working properly with Palm apps I use on a regular basis on my Sony Clie. It crashed my N800 so bad that I had to reformat it.

Basically my N800 is useless for me except for browsing the internet quickly, getting on Skype/Gizmo and chatting on Pidgin (IM app).

I STILL end up carrying my laptop, cell phone, Sony Clie and my N800 around because they do different things I need to do for my business. I could leave my N800 at home and just bring my laptop for surfing but what makes it nice is that its light and easy to whip out if I need to check something on the net quickly.

I'd rather have one or two devices that can do everything.

Since the N800 doesn't seem to be able to do what I want, I'm probably gonna end up getting a Treo when my cell contract is up for renewal in a few months.

The latest GPE apparently has the ability sync to Google Calendar easily. There are many resources available to sync your desktop calendar to Google Calendar as well.

I run ffmpeg for downscaling video (sometimes transcoding audio) to a lower resolution and it has generally been fast for me.

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Mountain View, CA
Originally Posted by Wzrd View Post
The Nokia Internet Converter is a POS. Its slow and sucks ***. I use either WinAVI Video Converter or Intervideo IVideotoGo.
Wow. Thanks for the kind words Seriously though, if you think it's a POS, please share in detail how it could be better, and what else in the marketplace does those things better. It's not like we set out to design a POS you know.

Check out the Nokia Internet Tablet Video Converter: http://www.nokia.com/betalabs/videoconverter

Originally Posted by vbrilon View Post
Wow. Thanks for the kind words Seriously though, if you think it's a POS, please share in detail how it could be better, and what else in the marketplace does those things better. It's not like we set out to design a POS you know.
The GUI is simple and aesthetically pleasing, by far the easiest to use along with the N800 Video Convert all the settings maximized for the N800 as a default, however, the only thing that deters me from using it is that it does not convert from ISO files. You might want to put a status bar when it does the conversion.

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Mountain View, CA
Originally Posted by superstar View Post
however, the only thing that deters me from using it is that it does not convert from ISO files.
There's not really been a strong (legal) use case for this frankly, but if there's one I am missing, please let me know. Please also remember that the ITVC includes a pretty powerful developer API so a 3rd party developer could build this feature in pretty easily.

You might want to put a status bar when it does the conversion.
Er...can you explain this? ITVC has a status bar showing the progress of your conversion.

Check out the Nokia Internet Tablet Video Converter: http://www.nokia.com/betalabs/videoconverter