If you buy a block of data for a Go Phone account, can you check the data balance by calling 611?

Originally Posted by j.s View Post
If you buy a block of data for a Go Phone account, can you check the data balance by calling 611?
Or, for the low, low price of just $1000...

Is this thing on?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
...what is the typical connection speed...
I hadn't run any actual speed tests, believe it or not, and my only previous cellular data experience has been with my N800 & N810 tethered to a Boost iDEN phone. I'm probably easily impressed, but EDGE is a wonderful improvement.

I'm at home right now, in a rural area with weak signal on every network. My N900 shows 2.5G and two bars, the fewest I get anywhere. In this same spot, my iDEN phone is lucky just to escape "No Service"-land for a few seconds. MobileSpeedTest tells me AT&T EDGE is only turning out 28 kbps here, but even that is two to three times better than the best I ever achieved anywhere with iDEN*, and I know I get better on EDGE elsewhere.

...and how long does 100 MB last you in your estimate.
Heh. In a little more than a month, I've used less than 10 MB. I've WiFi at home, WiFi at work, and only a six minute drive in between. As much as I like Internet radio, it's not worth the setting up the FM transmitter.

I don't think I make for a good example of how much data anyone else might burn through in a month.

Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Uh oh, I can already see the headline: "Pennsylvania man surfs web for $10000 in December.
Yes, something along those lines has been a concern for me after the unlimited Internet of Boost. Worst case though, AT&T can only take what remains of the $110 credit in my account and then turn my service off. They don't even have a credit card number to "accidentally" charge.

Trust me, I do not trust AT&T. I've had nothing but horrible experiences with both their cellular and long distance divisions in the past, so I'm not thrilled to be giving them money now. T-Mobile somehow managed to develop a PAYG system that makes them an even less attractive though. I keep waiting for them to explain it has been a little joke they've been playing on the U.S.

Also found cheating on wife with Tiger Woods"
Shh! Not so loud! Those tabloid reporters are everywhere.

* Darn you, Sprint, for killing WiDEN. My phone could have been a great modem. It could have been a contender!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Or, for the low, low price of just $1000...

Is this thing on?
Sorry, I have no idea what you mean by that.

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
@sjgadsby

Thanks for the info. very helpful. I've got internet at home/work/parents/inlaws. I figure maybe every 4th month, grab 100mb, so < $9 a month for data, $5 for 200 txt, and maybe $5 for calls, should be around $20/month or less.

I eect to use Google Voice / wifi for most calling. Should work out pretty well I think.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
I hadn't run any actual speed tests, believe it or not, and my only previous cellular data experience has been with my N800 & N810 tethered to a Boost iDEN phone. I'm probably easily impressed, but EDGE is a wonderful improvement.

I'm at home right now, in a rural area with weak signal on every network. My N900 shows 2.5G and two bars, the fewest I get anywhere. In this same spot, my iDEN phone is lucky just to escape "No Service"-land for a few seconds. MobileSpeedTest tells me AT&T EDGE is only turning out 28 kbps here, but even that is two to three times better than the best I ever achieved anywhere with iDEN*, and I know I get better on EDGE elsewhere.

Heh. In a little more than a month, I've used less than 10 MB. I've WiFi at home, WiFi at work, and only a six minute drive in between. As much as I like Internet radio, it's not worth the setting up the FM transmitter.

I don't think I make for a good example of how much data anyone else might burn through in a month.

Yes, something along those lines has been a concern for me after the unlimited Internet of Boost. Worst case though, AT&T can only take what remains of the $110 credit in my account and then turn my service off. They don't even have a credit card number to "accidentally" charge.

Trust me, I do not trust AT&T. I've had nothing but horrible experiences with both their cellular and long distance divisions in the past, so I'm not thrilled to be giving them money now. T-Mobile somehow managed to develop a PAYG system that makes them an even less attractive though. I keep waiting for them to explain it has been a little joke they've been playing on the U.S.

Shh! Not so loud! Those tabloid reporters are everywhere.

* Darn you, Sprint, for killing WiDEN. My phone could have been a great modem. It could have been a contender!
Excellent...

... N800 & N810 tethered to a .... iDEN phone. Check!

... 28 kbps that is two to three times better. Check!

... WiFi at home. Check!

... Semi rural Pennsylvania. Check!

... and even if I manage to use 10 times what you use in a month, after initial set up charges, it would still only be $23.98

... ding, ding, ding. I think we have a winner!

If the cheapest from T-mo is the $39.99 plan I pointed to earlier, the cost of 3G would be at least $16.01 a month more.

At close to $200 more per year for 3G, and only if the plan I pointed to works (if not, much higher), I think I can live with 2G.

SLN member # 009

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-12-05 at 03:05.

Ok, so let me ask, how well would this work - data only unlimited plan, google voice account. Would that work as well as a cell account? Would people be able to call in?