Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
I'm seeing a lot of posts lately from new members with a Symbian background. First of all, welcome aboard!

I then realized that if Maemo devices are being positioned in Nokia's upgrade path ahead of Symbian devices, we may soon be seeing even more new members with a Symbian background. Again, welcome.

I also realized that if in fact Nokia is positioning future devices this way, Maemo5 must perform tasks as well, if not better than any Symbian device...

The N800 and then the N810 are the first Nokia devices that I've owned so I have no first hand knowledge living day to day with S60 . This now leads to the purpose of this thread, a question for first hand users of Symbian devices. (all other healthy and productive posts are also alway welcome )

What is it that you can do (specific tasks) with an S60 device that you don't see how, or were not able to do with a current Maemo device?

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-08-22 at 23:18. Reason: to make easier to read.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
sync my sms, email and schedule.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
N-Gage (games)
Ovi Maps
Quick Office

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Architengi For This Useful Post:
i have e71 and n810.

Symbian is better at real world scenario although i love maemo and also n810 screen.

Symbian has quickoffice, even with free upgrade to new version now, i get emailed lots of excel sheets and need to check the numbers for sanity at least and quickoffice makes it possible

Integrated syncml client

Way bettter camera.

Printing support.

Sms, mms

Universal search app(emails, calendar' docs' sms' etc)Also, the pim suite on s60 is way better than the non-existant suite for maemo, although th

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 664 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
What is it that you can do (specific tasks) with an S60 device that you don't see how, or were not able to do with a current Maemo device?
Syncing contacts, calendar and notes easily via SyncML.

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Gijon
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Things like:
  • Easy phone calls
  • Easy contacts and dates management (no syncml)
  • OVI integration
  • Games
  • Easy photo or media sharing

For me, the main problem nowadays, is that the phone is always with me (the three things I always carry with me: keys, wallet and phone), so the question, is what can I do with my current Maemo device that can't be done with my phone? Since the answer keeps being nothing, I use more my phone than my N810...

But, the Maemo platform keeps being one of the most promising platforms for mobile development, so I hope that my phone gets replaced for a Maemo device soon.

Like quipper8, I have a N810 and an E71 which I tether it to for mobile Internet access.

What the phone has over the tablet (both software- and hardware-wise) :
  • it connects much, much faster to Wifi networks (both open and WPA-protected)
  • the predictive text entry function is way ahead and above maemo's (and the keyboard is better too :-)
  • useful apps actually take advantage of the camera ! (barcode scanner, magnifying glass, OCR...)
  • GPS actually works...
  • has proper applets for things like Google Mail, Maps, Youtube...
  • SyncML and a decent, syncable PIM suite !
  • no-fuss, natural SIP calls
  • Calcium (the best, quickest phone calculator in the world :-)

What the tablet has over the phone :
  • 4" 800*480 touch screen...
  • Web browsing experience (with Tear :-)
  • community apps (Maemo Mapper, Canola, Tear...)
  • games
  • maemo repositories for apps distribution (S60 = total mess)
  • open platform for hacking, existing skills (Linux, Python) reusable, community projects like Mer etc.

I'll update this post if more comes to mind either way :-)

Last edited by fpp; 2009-08-23 at 15:45.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Syncing is easier
Finding applications that aren't beta-(still) is easier
Web browsing on the N97 is better, not so much so on my N95 or Surge, than my N800/N810 (including Tear).

...oh, and I can run my website off my S60 device, no-can-do with the same ease on Maemo (really hope to see that change though).

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Gijon
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
...oh, and I can run my website off my S60 device, no-can-do with the same ease on Maemo (really hope to see that change though).
Why can't you install a webserver in your maemo device? I think there are some options available...

The Following User Says Thank You to jsmanrique For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Hey, texr4t! Still remember ya from the Symbian Meetup. Good guy, he is. I'm indoctrinating myself to Maemo from a blind perspective. From the looks of things, I'll be hanging around. I'm an avid Symbian lover, and look forward to how that experience relates to Maemo.