Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
just that HiFo isn't exactly about steering. Any "direction" been already taken by those who inventend/developed mer and meego and nitdroid and cordia and... you name it. HiFo doesn't have anything it could steer anywhere to, it's about keeping maemo alive as it is. Making friends with those who spawned all those projects based on maemo doesn't hurt but still is not exactly a new perspective for maemo. Everything of maemo that HiFo is allowed to offer (and that actually makes sense to use) got already migrated to those successor projects. You maybe think HiFo will inherit the sourcecode of the closed blobs - no, Nokia will not hand out those sources, neither to HiFo nor to anybody else. And HiFo doesn't have any developer manpower at hand they could allocate to any project.

So: nothing to steer.

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-03-13 at 12:48.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
That's your perspective, personally I don't think it's correct to rule-out completely, things that may or may not happen longer-term.
No doubt there's things to consider, or ways it could evolve, (longer-term) to maintain relevance/vibrancy...

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-03-13 at 12:42. Reason: typo

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
I honestly would like to know which are those things that may or may not happen. Anyway I don't think I ruled out anything except the absolutely unlikely case that Nokia would hand out sourcecode for the blobs in a year or two. So HiFo simply doesn't own nor even possess anything they could "steer". And founders of HiFo been aware of this and designed HiFo accordingly - it's not even meant to steer anything since there is nothing to steer (except those in community (usually not developers themselves) who think there should be an emperor instructing everybody (particularly developers) what to do, something that will never work in a FOSS community) And that's what my post is all about.

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-03-13 at 13:01.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
If you think of things purely from a Maemo 4x-6x code perspective then sure, of course there's little to steer.

(except those in community (usually not developers themselves) who think there should be an emperor instructing everybody (particularly developers) what to do, something that will never work in a FOSS community)
W.T.F?

thedead1440/joerg_rw, no thanks for me, where's the love guys? jk

EDIT: thanks thedead1440

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-03-13 at 13:46.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
So HiFo simply doesn't own nor even possess anything they could "steer". And founders of HiFo been aware of this and designed HiFo accordingly - it's not even meant to steer anything since there is nothing to steer (except those in community (usually not developers themselves) who think there should be an emperor instructing everybody (particularly developers) what to do, something that will never work in a FOSS community) And that's what my post is all about.
Absolute rubbish.

We now have $7000 of server hardware. We will soon have maemo.org, the maemo trademarks, the maemo website, the maemo infrastructure, and as much of the maemo software as possible.

This is possible only because HiFo exists. If HiFo didn't exist, we wouldn't even be able to read this message now.

The people who founded and began to run HiFo Board are friends, and on the same side as the community - but you can't see that, you go around repeatedly insulting and calling names like "emperor" instead. Negative politics suck. The people who founded Hildon Foundation and worked to save maemo when other people did not (including the name callers) deserve to be treated better.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Oh dear... what did I do...
Please can we go back to singing Kumbayah, why are those warm/fuzzy times always so fleeting

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-03-13 at 13:52.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Oh dear... what did I do...
Please can we go back to singing Kumbayah, why are those warm/fuzzy times always so fleeting
We shall overcome

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Absolute rubbish.

We now have $7000 of server hardware. We will soon have maemo.org, the maemo trademarks, the maemo website, the maemo infrastructure, and as much of the maemo software as possible.

This is possible only because HiFo exists. If HiFo didn't exist, we wouldn't even be able to read this message now.

The people who founded and began to run HiFo Board are friends, and on the same side as the community - but you can't see that, you go around repeatedly insulting and calling names like "emperor" instead. Negative politics suck. The people who founded Hildon Foundation and worked to save maemo when other people did not (including the name callers) deserve to be treated better.
exactly this make a sticky thread link on talk homepage abot infastructure aim possibilites etc etc so that newcomers third partys etc can know abot hifo what is it why they need it .this will have a general overview of maemo as all info is scatterd and is a absolute mess hifo isint just another 4m its something apart

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
I get comments from time to time expressing the mistaken notion that Hildon Foundation was founded just to save maemo.org, and it is not limited in that way. So this post should clear that up as well.
Thanks for clarifying this. Now WTF is then the role of the Hildon Foundation, besides declaring itself as not attached to Maemo(.org).

Why have TMO members donated money to a "foundation" whose only director now declares the foundation as unrelated to Maemo?

I don't like the tone of this. AFAIK the only reason for a "foundation" with some sort of a pseudo-legal status was so that Nokia would transfer the ownership of the fvcking maemo.org domain name. No more, no less.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Ok, I'm running for Office. Where do I sign?

You can see me as a Arnold Schwarzenegger type of politician.
Ah please. Could you just shut up if you have nothing to say?
Thank you.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
board