I had been a Sprint customer for 12 years. Last summer I had a problem using my Treo 700P to tether to my laptop. I traveled a lot for business, and this was absolutely essential. I spent hours w/ their tech support, went to the store (at their suggestion) twice, and finally spent EIGHT hours STRAIGHT on the phone w/ tech support (which finally got me a solution), but EIGHT HOURS (12PM to 8PM on a Saturday). I felt that that was absolutely absurd.

I started shopping for a phone. I had decided that Palm had just about run it's course (I guess I was right) and that I was going to "bite the bullet" and change platforms. After much soul searching, I decided on a Nokia N95 and AT&T. Since AT&T does not offer the N95, I purchased one on the Internet. I went to the local office and asked for a "SIM-only, no contract" option. Within 20 minutes, I was out the door with a SIM card and no commitment. It's going to be hard for me to commit ever again.

After 2 months, I can tell you that I'm very happy w/ the phone, reasonably satisfied w/ the AT&T service, and excited about the SIM card. A friend of mine had an old Cingular phone which he gave to me. It's not much of a phone, but if I am going where I don't want to risk the N95, I pop the SIM card in the old Cingular phone and go. When I get home, I pop it back in the phone. It's a shame that all carriers don't use a compatible SIM card so that we could change carriers and phones easily. (Maybe that's exactly why they DON'T!)

Gary Walborn

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by testerj View Post
Here in Toronto they have "OneZone" which covers an approx 5 mile radius for wifi internet access in the metro area. This unlimited access costs around $30 CDN ($25USD) per month, except it is not limited to a particular device.
As a fellow Torontonian, I was pleasantly surprised to find that Boingo mobile seems to include access to OneZone (and a whole lot more) for a much lower rate of 7.95 USD per month. Strange, I know. The catch? I have read, though that the 'unlimited' is actually 50 hours per month (I haven't verified this).

It's worth looking into, as its inexpensive, and they have most major cities covered. Not quite WiFi-on-the-train, but better than being limited to one's apartment!

YARR!
}:^)~

SSID: CaptnCorrupt

Last edited by Capt'n Corrupt; 2009-03-16 at 23:12.

Ya know, the way people are relying on their cell phones and mobile internet these days, and the way the cell companies are blatantly screwing everyone, I think it won't be long before you see a big backlash and prices drop considerably. In fact, I think MetroPCS will likely lead the charge in that direction. When other carriers start seeing their people vanishing left and right to companies that offer unlimited everything for $50, the days of over priced cellular will be gone.

Old thread here, but I just found out about Sprint Relay (sprintrelay.com), which offers unlimited data for $30/month, with pricey per minute voice cost. It's supposedly 3G. Is it feasible to tether a NIT to a phone on this plan and use DialCentral with Google Voice? I'm not much of a voice user, but I wouldn't want to be stuck with _no_ voice whatsoever, and if DialCentral is actually usable on this setup it's totally worth it to be connected everywhere.

The Following User Says Thank You to ctennenh For This Useful Post:
does n900 have the right bands for Sprint 3G? Also, it looks like you would need to buy a phone through them and be committed to a 2 year contract. I'm also searching for a good data plan which will allow me to use Google voice and Gizmo/Skype for voice/sms, etc. There just don't seem to be many good options for that at the moment. I've currently got the prepaid voice plan for the n900 with no data, but have with wifi at home and at the office.

Verhagke,
I have an n810. You're right that it would be a 2 year contract, and you'd need to buy a phone through them, but they have subsidized phones in the $30 range for new customers.

Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
Originally Posted by verhagke View Post
does n900 have the right bands for Sprint 3G? Also, it looks like you would need to buy a phone through them and be committed to a 2 year contract. I'm also searching for a good data plan which will allow me to use Google voice and Gizmo/Skype for voice/sms, etc. There just don't seem to be many good options for that at the moment. I've currently got the prepaid voice plan for the n900 with no data, but have with wifi at home and at the office.
No. Sprint does not use GSM phones... the N900 is a GSM phone.

30 a month for 5gb /mo, like it says, could tempt even me (n810) into a 2 year commitment. if you find out anymore please post it here.

Originally Posted by wesgreen View Post
30 a month for 5gb /mo, like it says, could tempt even me (n810) into a 2 year commitment. if you find out anymore please post it here.
I'd love to but I don't know anything about it beyond the website. Has anyone tried out Skype or Gizmo on the tablet while on the Sprint network?

I'm honestly thinking of getting this 2 year plan with a cheap subsidized phone and keeping my Virgin Mobile plan at $.18/min for voice. This looks like an awesome deal. I just need to convince my wife