Notices

I downloaded the mephemeris package just to have a look at it (I'm on OS2007 so I didn't try to install it), and from what I could see the Depends: line in the control file already has python2.5-gpsbt there so it's not immediately clear what could cause the trouble here.

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Manitoba, Canada
Hello All:

I have made sufficient updates to warrant another release (version 0.46). The summary of changes in this version are:

2008/08/21 = version 0.46
- add sky plot hardware button controls/Fn keys
- add constellation data
- add temperature/pressure/elevation to 'mephemeris.ini' file and internal calculations
- add ability to toggle sky plot window controls on/off
- rearrange sky plot window controls
- set default graphics richness down to minimal levels to improve startup time
- fix bug in date/time resets
- fix full-screen mode toggles in sky plot windows

I continue to work on further improvements...but the program is now so large I am beginning to lose track of what I am doing!

I would be *very* pleased if others were to attempt their own programs -- and do a better job at it than me

The Following User Says Thank You to darethehair For This Useful Post:
Hello, again! Wow, the update is very nice, especially improved startup time and the new sky/UI options.

I am having trouble toggling on/off the sky options like constellations, etc. Perhaps the documentation needs to be improved since you have added so many options (just clicking the on/off toggles should implement the chosen option, yes?). Perhaps there is a bug here somewhere.

Yes, you are definitely right about the physical size of the tablet display. I have been wanting something about twice the size of the N800, iPod Touch, etc., for quite some time (I am 55 years old with eyes to match!). I confess I have started to use one of those plastic magnifier pages lately with my N800!

Thanks again for such a nice astronomy program!

kapresley:

Perhaps I could make the docs a bit clearer in my next changes...

Many of the on/off and -/+ options work in a *deferred* manner rather than *real time*. This is mostly to speed up the screen re-draws. For example, you can:

- click 'Messier On'
- click 'Polar Off'
- click 'Planets On'

(or whatever)

...and then when you click the plot screen image, the star plot is re-drawn with all your 'queued up' toggles. Know what I mean? Changing the date/time options -- on the other hand -- re-draws the screen immediately (no queuing).

The idea of 'queuing' makes it a lot faster, since you can change a bunch of options rather than waiting for each one to take effect individually. As another example, you could (for example) click the 'FOV +' repeatedly to queue up a large change in FOV, rather than doing each zoom out individually.

When you use the new hardware key options to do this stuff, no queuing takes place -- it redraws the screen for each action.

I hope this helps to clarify what the docs say

Hello, again! Aha! So that is how it works. Makes perfect sense after you explain it (I could not figure out why the plot would only update after I had used a function key, and with seemingly multiple things updating!).

Yeah, your docs need a bit of a spruce up. Many more people will explore the program much further when they can use all of the options.

Well anyway, it is just a fabulous piece of work for the N800 (especially now that I can use most of the options (I have already edited the .ini file to permanently set my location).

Thanks again and see ya...

Very cool app. You can really build on this foundation. I would start adding images of each of the planets, stars, etc... then slowly add more bodies and images. I also like the solar system view. It would be nice if you could click on items in solar system view and get more info. Very impressive work. Keep it up.

dan:

Thanks for the comments! Yes, I am slowly pondering other features that I can add (within my abilities!) and 'images' is something that I have thought about -- if I can find a net resource for them.

I also like the 'solar system' view -- but please realize that the image is being generated on the web -- not be my application! I have been amazed and pleased at the free resources out there (images/data) that can do a far better job than my own python program. I am currently working out adding even more!

For images I always go to the NASA sites, hubble, space.com, etc... I'm always downloading space images for my screensavers. I have an idea that would set yours apart from other astronomy apps. Add Flite so that it can read the text from the image files for you. The voice on it sounds like Stephan Hawkins. Keep up the great work!

Hello again!

I have made more bug fixes, changes, and additions, and have just uploaded my latest version of Mephemeris (0.61) to my N8xx web page (http://darethehair.googlepages.com/software.html). Changes for this new version include:

2008/09/02 = version 0.61
- add solar sunspot image download to 'web' window
- add yearly sunrise/sunset/transit/antitransit/daylength/analemma graph options to 'object detail' window
- add widgets to set temperature/pressure/elevation to 'set location' window
- add multiple weather info downloads to 'web' window
- add local elevation download to 'web' window
- add ability to reset temperature/pressure/elevation from weather downloads
- add distance calculation to selected weather station from local location
- add weather site names to 'mephemeris.ini'
- add equation-of-time calculation to 'time' window
- add option to turn on/off object names separately
- add option to turn off star display
- change OOP structure of 'show_object_info_basic' module (gulp! risky!)
- change 'reset_location' to also reset temp/pressure/elevation
- change 'web' window to classify links
- fix (?) calculation of daylight saving time
- fix some smaller bugs re: time-setting
- fix bug of planets not being displayed below horizon on equatorial plot

Take note of two things:

- Any customizations you make to the 'mephemeris.ini' file will always get overwritten when you re-install or upgrade, so be prepared to re-do your changes.

- The new 'rise/set' plot takes a *long* time on my N800 (at least compared to my desktop), so just be patient

Let me know what you think of the changes!

P.S. I spent some *major* effort updating the README file, to explain the functionality in a lot more detail than the initial version. Thanks for encouraging me to do that!

Last edited by darethehair; 2008-09-12 at 15:09. Reason: Note on README doc

Hello again! Well this new version is fantastic! This program certainly gets my vote for N800 scientific app of the year. You have done an amazing job and continue to add new and interesting features. I like the new UI features, the weather info addition, and especially the rise/set graphs for objects. (it took about one and a half minutes on my N800 to calculate and display the rise/set graph for Mars for instance, for those that are interested).

And since I was the one that complained (mildly) about the documentation, I must give you kudos for the new and much-improved documentation. It is very nice and explains the various options quite well (I also like the simple screen flow diagram).

Don't sell your programming talents short. You are smarter than you think and certainly dedicated in producing such a fine astronomy program.

Hmm, now let me think, what features do I want you to add (wink, wink, nudge, nudge)! I'll give that some thought and get back to you.

Thanks again for such a fine astronomy program. I'll continue to look for any and all updates!