Notices

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by ketil View Post
Because if a woman's menstrual cycle is determining whether you are ""ok" to make a trip, go to sea, climb a mountain, etc..." then there are some issues.

Why must there be issues? Making blind assumptions about things you know nothing about is just dumb.

Around these parts the bear population is coming out of hibernation and it's really not a good idea for a woman to go camping when she's menstruating. Of course one can go, but it's best avoided if possible -- especially at this time of year.

Having a calendar dedicated to such a thing is a useful thing for a couple. I personally dislike the 'multiple girls heh-heh' aspect of how it's presented, but that's easy enough to ignore and I'm certainly not about to assume I know why someone else wants to use it like that. Or at all, for that matter.

IN ANY CASE, has anyone else out there noticed that the 'current day' displayed seems to be about 12-hours ahead? Am I missing something about why that's happening, or is it a bug?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Bingley Joe View Post

Why must there be issues? Making blind assumptions about things you know nothing about is just dumb.

Around these parts the bear population is coming out of hibernation and it's really not a good idea for a woman to go camping when she's menstruating. Of course one can go, but it's best avoided if possible -- especially at this time of year.
You didn't see my last post where I apologized, did you?
The bear issue is interesting (really). My first Google result was this: http://www.yellowstone-bearman.com/m...tion_data.html which would indicate that this is a myth, except maybe if you're talking about polar bears.
Maybe the "blind assumptions" does apply to others as well?

-K

PS. Other than that, I also think that the app is good for another reason, and have said so: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...4&postcount=22

Last edited by ketil; 2010-05-23 at 14:51.

Originally Posted by ketil View Post
You didn't see my last post where I apologized, did you?
The bear issue is interesting (really). My first Google result was this: http://www.yellowstone-bearman.com/m...tion_data.html which would indicate that this is a myth, except maybe if you're talking about polar bears.
Maybe the "blind assumptions" does apply to others as well?

-K

PS. Other than that, I also think that the app is good for another reason, and have said so: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...4&postcount=22

So I'm guessing that's a 'no' on the 12-hours ahead thing then?

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Well, bears aside, I had an App for S60 that did the same, except for a little trick I'd like to see. I don't hold much hope, since it seems like it needs a rewrite.

Still, throwing it out there: The old app allowed me to "correct" each cycle as it happened. It kept a list of "events" and tried to guess the next event by the average of each cycle. It also had the added advantage of listing a bar graph of days per cycle.

Basically, I set it on 1st, then it predicted 28th. I correct it to 29th, so the next month instead of 26th (assuming 30 days/ month), it guessed 27, effectively guessing 29 days instead of 28. And so on, averaging the last few months for a better prediction.

Again, as a coder, it seems like it's a completely different approach. It would instead keep a database of events, and linear time, and tried to guess the next event by average. Best thing was that if you skipped an event or two, correcting the third also corrected the ones before it. E.g., after a missed update, if the next event was after 56 days, it auto-set the previous missed event to 28, as half of the said interval.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 376 | Thanked: 511 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Greece
Originally Posted by Bingley Joe View Post
IN ANY CASE, has anyone else out there noticed that the 'current day' displayed seems to be about 12-hours ahead? Am I missing something about why that's happening, or is it a bug?
This is a bug. I believe it is based on timezone offset. Are you in a timezone with GMT-12 ?

Originally Posted by v13 View Post
This is a bug. I believe it is based on timezone offset. Are you in a timezone with GMT-12 ?
Ah, I thought it might be something like that -- good to know.

I'm in GMT -5

Version 1.1.1-1 of maegirls is available in extras-testing.
This version:
  • Adds portrait mode / autorotation
  • Fixes the time-difference bug (timezone offset was calculated twice)
  • Has a bugzilla bugtracker link

All changes were trivial.

I did my part, so it is time to do yours Go on... test it and vote for it...

Vesion 1.2-1 of maegirls in available in extras-testing.

Changes are:
  • Display the day of the week along with the date
  • Fix minor typo
  • Fix a (harmless) packaging mistake
  • Use palette's color (read: theme's color) for drawing text to make text visible even when using a light theme.

Changes were very trivial. If you're using this app and it seems to work OK, go ahead and vote for it to make it also available in extras.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to v13 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 370 | Thanked: 443 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Italy
Hi v13,

small feature request: it will be interesting to be able to change duration of 'red' period, since not all women stops for 5 days

anyway, vote casted

The Following User Says Thank You to jurop88 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jurop88 View Post
Hi v13,

small feature request: it will be interesting to be able to change duration of 'red' period, since not all women stops for 5 days

anyway, vote casted
Noted.

Perhaps in a future version.