Active Topics

Posts: 414 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Silicon Valley
Originally Posted by Skry View Post

@ArchiMark
Error you get clearly states that kernel is not found, meaning it's not present in the location where you have set u-boot to look for it.
Yes, understand that.....

I checked and it's actually in /mnt/boot....but I tried changing u-boot line to that and still got same error message...

@ whoever
Again, this has been covered many times before now, in this thread and others. If u-boot is (configured, and otherwise) OK, kernel will boot, that has been proven already. If it boots but does not run, rootfs can't be found.

So, there is always the chance that there is some problem that has not been manifested before, and in such case you're very welcome to call me an ***hole and advertise this all as non-working sh*t, but if you guys cant make it work, it's most likely because the simple fact that you have not done your reading and/or don't understand what you are doing. I've already provided all information that is needed for installation, including the suggestion to read about it first, then understand what you're doing and finally performing the simple task of installation.

I don't actually enjoy going over and over the same, off-topic issue, endlessly while I'm on my very limited free time. Would you believe it?
Yes, I believe it and again apologize for my posts.....

After posting my first recent post and posted over in the u-boot thread to get help....so, some people there are trying to help...but so far nothing has worked....but will keep trying.....over there...

Thanks.

Nokia N900
Previous: Nokia N810 & N800

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Srky?? ****hole?? Nope its gloryhole
We users are ****hole who keep bugging without debugging
arch is purely diy(do it yourself) distro totally depends upon our abilites to use it that comes from reading understanding and investing some time which goes less day by day as u learn it.
So always double check to ensure what you are asking isint answerd .
On the course you will find your answer also get to learn about it and new things you didnt knew.
This isint for the lazy people.....

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by ArchiMark View Post
Installed u-boot-flasher via apt-get....as the versions listed on first page of this thread are not available now...Pali said it's OK to use the version he recently released.....

I created a new u-boot menu entry as follows:

Code:
ITEM_NAME="Arch Linux ARM (eMMC)"
ITEM_KERNEL="/boot/uImage"
ITEM_DEVICE="${INT_CARD}p5"
ITEM_FSTYPE="ext3"
ITEM_OMAPATAG="1"
ITEM_CMDLINE="root=/dev/mmcblk0p5 rootwait init=/bin/systemdomapfb.vram=0:3M,1:3M,2:3M quiet"
Then I did

Code:
# u-boot-update-bootmenu 

Adding entry for: 'Maemo 5 with attached kernel 2.6.28-omap1 (internal Nand)'

Configuration file: /etc/bootmenu/d/20-archlinux.item

Warning: Invalid file - missing kernel or script file - skipping...

Generating u-boot bootmenu script....

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
I have a suggestion for you. Try to remove "20-archlinux.item" from "/etc/bootmenu.d/", and then create a new, lets say "21-archlinux.item" file again. Also try to type the configuration manually, not just copy-paste, while paying attention there are no mistakes.

@Skry

Does u-boot really check for a kernel image?
I have Alarm on an Ext4 partition and I'm running stock kernel, so Maemo has no means whatsoever for accessing the partition to check for a kernel image, yet u-boot is able to update and happily creates an entry for Alarm.

The Following User Says Thank You to mlwane For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mlwane View Post
I have a suggestion for you. Try to remove "20-archlinux.item" from "/etc/bootmenu.d/", and then create a new, lets say "21-archlinux.item" file again. Also try to type the configuration manually, not just copy-paste, while paying attention there are no mistakes.
Thank you!

Did as you suggested and this time no error messages from u-boot-update-bootmenu!

btw, I did not copy-paste before, so, much have been a typo....

Well, just did reboot and I saw and selected Arch....Yeah!!!

Unfortunately, it does not boot up Arch though....get the following console error messages....

Code:
localhost login:   [   4.377685] omap_12c omap_12c.2: controller timed out
[    4.784729] bcm2048 3-0022:  BCM 12C error!
[    4.786285] bcm2048 3-0022:  Is Bluetooth up and running?
[    5.885070] tpa6130a2 2-0060: Write failed
[    5.885253] tpa6130a2 2-0060: Failed to initialize chip
[    5.932525] et8ek8 3-003e: read from offset 0x1263 error -121
[    5.933380] isp_register_subdev_group: Unable to register subdev et8e8
[    6.032714] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p4): unable to read superblock
[    6.034698] smia-sensor 2-0010: read from offset 0x0 error -121
[    6.102020] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p4): unable to read superblock
[    6.110565] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p4): unable to read superblock
[    6.390136] rx51-audio rx51-audio: asoc: failed to init TLV320AIC34: -19
[   6.390411]  asoc: failed to instantiate card RX-51: -19
[   6.405364] rx-51-audio rx51-audio: snd_soc_register_card failed (-19)
I can take care of the error regarding formatting of mmcblk0p4....forgot about that partition....just formatted mmcblk0p5 to ext3 for Arch install....

Any suggestions now?

Thanks!

Nokia N900

I have been running alarm from the emmc for a while now. Yesterday I took the uSD from the N900, and to my surprise arch does not boot without it. The kernel seems to load fine, but it never gets to load systemd, and I suspect rootfs never gets mounted.

If I just put in *any* uSD in the device, then arch boots fine.

I do not rule out some configuration problem in the device, but to the best of my knowledge the config is fine.

If you have arch installed to the emmc, can you try booting without a uSD and report back?

The Following User Says Thank You to caveman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 104 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by ArchiMark View Post
Thank you!

Did as you suggested and this time no error messages from u-boot-update-bootmenu!

btw, I did not copy-paste before, so, much have been a typo....

Well, just did reboot and I saw and selected Arch....Yeah!!!

Unfortunately, it does not boot up Arch though....get the following console error messages....

Code:
localhost login:   [   4.377685] omap_12c omap_12c.2: controller timed out
[    4.784729] bcm2048 3-0022:  BCM 12C error!
[    4.786285] bcm2048 3-0022:  Is Bluetooth up and running?
[    5.885070] tpa6130a2 2-0060: Write failed
[    5.885253] tpa6130a2 2-0060: Failed to initialize chip
[    5.932525] et8ek8 3-003e: read from offset 0x1263 error -121
[    5.933380] isp_register_subdev_group: Unable to register subdev et8e8
[    6.032714] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p4): unable to read superblock
[    6.034698] smia-sensor 2-0010: read from offset 0x0 error -121
[    6.102020] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p4): unable to read superblock
[    6.110565] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p4): unable to read superblock
[    6.390136] rx51-audio rx51-audio: asoc: failed to init TLV320AIC34: -19
[   6.390411]  asoc: failed to instantiate card RX-51: -19
[   6.405364] rx-51-audio rx51-audio: snd_soc_register_card failed (-19)
I can take care of the error regarding formatting of mmcblk0p4....forgot about that partition....just formatted mmcblk0p5 to ext3 for Arch install....

Any suggestions now?

Thanks!
I believe Arch has booted just fine. Just ignore the messages and type "root" and press return, it should then ask you to enter the password which I believe is "root" as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to mlwane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 204 | Thanked: 754 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by caveman View Post
I have been running alarm from the emmc for a while now. Yesterday I took the uSD from the N900, and to my surprise arch does not boot without it.
this is actually pretty easy to explain and a known fact. When you have uSD card inserted, it becomes mmcblk0 and eMMC becomes mmcblk1. However, if there is no uSD card, eMMC (naturally) as an only drive is mmcblk0.

Last edited by Skry; 2013-04-29 at 20:20.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 770 | Thanked: 558 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Abidjan
this is actually pretty easy to explain and a known fact. When you have uSD card inserted, it becomes mmcblk0 and eMMC becomes mmcblk1. However, if there is no uSD card, eMMC (naturally) as an only drive is mmcblk0.
I followed your advice and here is what i have this time:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boemien For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mlwane View Post
I believe Arch has booted just fine. Just ignore the messages and type "root" and press return, it should then ask you to enter the password which I believe is "root" as well.
Great.....so close....but....

Wish I had read your post first....

Thing is that I decided to reformat /dev/mmcblk0p4, due to console error message....

That didn't work and n900 would not boot up to maemo...so reflashed....

Started install process all over and now having issues with rebooting after partitioning /dev/mmcblk0 like before....very odd, now, when I reboot, I see the Nokia text and then after a bit, see it again, and again...obviously, something about writing partition table is not working right.....

Oh well....will keep at it....at least now I know what the install steps are...

Nokia N900

Now that you said, it looks pretty obvious :-) AFAIK, UUIDs and LABELs are only supported with initrd, so this requires kernel+initrd. Here is how to do it.

First find your UUID (in my case rootfs is in 5th partition):
Code:
[root@alarm-emmc ~]# blkid|grep p5
/dev/mmcblk1p5: UUID="35bc43d3-a4a9-435e-b19c-759be310aa6c" TYPE="ext4"
Generate an initrd image:
Code:
mkinitcpio -g /boot/initramfs.img
Convert to u-boot format:
Code:
mkimage -A arm -O linux -T ramdisk -C none -a 0        -e 0        -n initramfs -d /boot/initramfs.img /boot/uInitrd
Edit item file to insert UUID and INITRD:
Code:
[root@alarm-emmc ~]# cat /etc/bootmenu.d/arch-initrd.item 
ITEM_NAME="Arch Linux ARM + initrd"
ITEM_KERNEL="/boot/uImage"
ITEM_INITRD="/boot/uInitrd"
ITEM_DEVICE="${INT_CARD}p5"
ITEM_FSTYPE="ext4"
ITEM_OMAPATAG="1"
ITEM_CMDLINE="root=UUID=35bc43d3-a4a9-435e-b19c-759be310aa6c rootwait init=/bin/systemd omapfb.vram=0:3M,1:3M,2:3M verbose"

Last edited by caveman; 2013-04-30 at 14:38. Reason: procedure to boot with initrd

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to caveman For This Useful Post: