Notices

Posts: 306 | Thanked: 603 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Belgium
Originally Posted by wokawoka View Post
Thank you for your reply Davy.
The guitar app I've uploaded is just one of the many music apps I was trying to run on the N900. I believe that all of them relies on midi though.

As you were speaking about external players, I remember playing midi files on the N900 default mediaplayer after having installed the midi decoding package a couple of years ago.
They are talking about it in this thread:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=50301
Would that be useful for the aim of adding midi support in phoneme?

Even if maybe it could sound childish or simplistic to you, my programming knowledge is very limited and I can't help you as mach as I would.

Thank you so much again,
Luca
Well, the jar file itself does not contain any midi files. This basically means if it does assume midi, it generates midi streams on the fly (in memory), which will then be a mess to play with an external midi player.

The link you provided indeed refers to some software synthesisers and midi sound patches. I have used similar players on Linux, and they indeed a nice sound, but they are hard to control from another application.

To explain what I mean, have a look at the mplayer music player. It provides a slave mode which allows you to control it from a different application:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/tech/slave.txt

If the maemo port of mplayer also supports this slave mode, that would be the easiest way to implement audio playback support. Unfortunately, it does not do midi :-(

Another way of adding midi support is using a lib like: fluidsynth
http://maemo.org/packages/view/fluidsynth/

Cheers,
Davy

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavyP For This Useful Post:
Posts: 39 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Germany
Everything is more clear now, thanks.
Too bad mplayer doesnt support midi files.

Now I can just really hope that one day you'll be able to implement midi support trough an external library like fluidsynth.

Thank you once again,
Luca

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Finland
Phoneme is great! some digital chocolate's and gameloft's touchscreen java games work. i have tried crazy penguin party, adventure of tintin and motocross trial extreme, they 100% work!
doodle jump works also, on fullscreen but is not very great on landscape mode. why all apps are so slow in portrait mode? is there thread for java apps compatibility?

thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to MJ m For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
@DavyP - did you look at cvm code I pushed on gitorious and my build scripts?
I have uploaded new builds to the main download website:
http://davy.preuveneers.be/phoneme/?q=node/10#maemo

You can download the latest and older builds as well from:
http://davy.preuveneers.be/phoneme/public/maemo/deb/

This build integrates most of the changes from freemangordon (thanks again for that). However, it contains further fixes to support rotation (which freemangordon disabled), and I further optimized the rendering speed.

With the JBenchmark midlet, I had a score of 3800 after freemangordon's changes, and with some additional tweaks, I was able to bump up the score to 4300 (yet another 10% improvement).

Some additional remarks: for the fastest rendering speed, enable the option "Start in full screen" in the MIDlet Settings application.
Also, do not enable to "Rotate midlet 90 degrees option". Especially the latter will significantly slow down the rendering.

Feedback is much appreciated.

Regards,
Davy

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DavyP For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MJ m View Post
Phoneme is great! some digital chocolate's and gameloft's touchscreen java games work. i have tried crazy penguin party, adventure of tintin and motocross trial extreme, they 100% work!
doodle jump works also, on fullscreen but is not very great on landscape mode. why all apps are so slow in portrait mode? is there thread for java apps compatibility?

thanks!
I am not sure which device you are using, but on the N900 rotation works out of the box (at least on my device) and I don't have to tweak the way midlets are rendered. On the N9, midlets are always started in landscape, so if you want to run the midlet in portrait mode, you have to enable the "Rotate midlet 90 degrees" option in the MIDlet Settings application. Unfortunately, it rotates every frame 90 degrees before it is rendered, which will definitely slow down the rendering speed in portrait mode.

Unfortunately, I cannot tell how bad it is as I do not have an N9.

Best regards,
Davy

Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by MJ m View Post
is there thread for java apps compatibility?
A wiki page would be very useful.

Originally Posted by DavyP View Post
These classes are provided by JSR 120 or JSR 205 and they
require a tight integration with the underlying platform. There is
currently no support for that.

Davy
I found something here, can it be a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural (e.g. partially implementation of jsr 120 or 205)?
Many apps rely on jsr 120 or 205 deal with mobile communications, massaging, which would be nice if they work well on phones.

Last edited by wwweagle; 2012-04-18 at 13:45. Reason: typo

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
@DavyP - mind to request your changes merged on gitorious?

The Following User Says Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
@DavyP - mind to request your changes merged on gitorious?
Sure, go ahead. You can find the latest source updates over here:

http://davy.preuveneers.be/phoneme/public/maemo/src/

I basically added the rotation feature again, and increased the delay
in the usleep function from 1 to 1000.

Davy

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavyP For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wwweagle View Post
I found something here, can it be a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural (e.g. partially implementation of jsr 120 or 205)?
Many apps rely on jsr 120 or 205 deal with mobile communications, massaging, which would be nice if they work well on phones.
I am aware that the QtMobility framework provides some messaging services (QMessage and QMessageService), and I am sure you can make at least a partial JSR 120/205 implementation based on that. If I would only have the spare time to implement all these feature requests ...

Davy

The Following User Says Thank You to DavyP For This Useful Post: