Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
wow the only nokia section they have is for Lumia 800,
Douche bags

Posts: 800 | Thanked: 957 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ India
i dont think having a section there devoted harmattan is going to help a lot. Afterall, u need people to post there and just having a section is IMO not going to help that.

Further, already the community is haphazardly divided between meego.com and maemo.org. its a mess that I'd like to be rid off. What you're suggesting will only further fracture the communtiy.

My apps for N9:
LockScreenQuotes
USbS

If you feel I have helped you, don't forget to press Thanks!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ejasmudar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
The difference between TMO and XDA is that on here, most if not all programs you'd use on your phone are free (and most of the time open source) while on XDA, many people charge for what they've made (and for those things that are free, they're closed)
Its the same situation between TMO and PreCentral / webOSnation.

voted - although I'm not massively confident on this one!

The Following User Says Thank You to skribzy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Hah - even some obsure chinese devices got more votes than the N9 (2x). I, personally, won't like to be in bed with teh Android people. We both have different mindsets...

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Jusr wondering...

If Nokia pulls the plug where do you go?

Regardless of what you think of android there are some very capable people in XDA.

By shear numbers of folks on XDA the N9 would get some attention.

More awareness of gnu/linux on phones is a plus.

When I first visited XDA I felt like a small town boy all of a sudden placed in a big city. Can be a cold place with interesting places to visit and many distractions. If you put on blinders and stay focused on what you want to get out of it, it is not so bad.

Anyways, I think jayst made a good suggestion and I gave a +1 vote.

Last edited by mscion; 2011-12-22 at 20:26.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
Yes, the old vanilla MeeGo. It's not even being updated anymore, so I just stick with ICS on my HD2.
The difference between TMO and XDA is that on here, most if not all programs you'd use on your phone are free (and most of the time open source) while on XDA, many people charge for what they've made (and for those things that are free, they're closed)
Thanks for the insights....
I've not had much to do with them at all, despite signing-up quite some time ago.
If you are correct in your summary of them, then they no longer appeal that much to me.

BTW, I believe that we're seen as a sort of niche in the mobile community.
Not sure why that attitude is coming from them, but you may be right.

Originally Posted by ejasmudar View Post
i dont think having a section there devoted harmattan is going to help a lot. Afterall, u need people to post there and just having a section is IMO not going to help that.

Further, already the community is haphazardly divided between meego.com and maemo.org. its a mess that I'd like to be rid off. What you're suggesting will only further fracture the communtiy.
You may well be right....
I was hoping to draw out more users from that community, towards maemo5/6 & cousins.
And in particular, "fan the flames of curiosity" for some of their most active devs...

But there may be more of a net negative impact that an positive one, it's quite hard to say.
And besides all that, I don't think the head honchos are interested, even if we had the no's

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
Its the same situation between TMO and PreCentral / webOSnation.
So you mean PreCentral/WebOSNation is more like XDA?

Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
Hah - even some obsure chinese devices got more votes than the N9 (2x).
But that could change if this thread keeps ticking over, & more people head over & vote.
Just not sure if we "want" some active sub-forums over there, could be a net +ve or net -ve.
My instinct tells me overall it's a positive, but hard to say....

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
So you mean PreCentral/WebOSNation is more like XDA?
My reply was in this regard:

"The difference between TMO and XDA is that on here, most if not all programs you'd use on your phone are free (and most of the time open source) while on XDA, many people charge for what they've made (and for those things that are free, they're closed)"

It's probably not as bad as XDA, but there are not that many useful free programs out there in PreWare, whileas most devs seem to push to promote their apps into the catalog, at least the pro versions. (PreWare basically contains mostly crap.) Also, there seems no noticeable interest to "fix" / extend the OS / platform as a whole, mostly self-contained apps but no projects like the stuff freemangordon / pali / and the CSSU contributors are all behind. Their webos-internals wiki is a pity; outdated and sparsely documentation available.

The Following User Says Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:

Tags
flog_dead_horse