Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 246 | Thanked: 2,574 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Egypt, Cairo
First of all I would like to thank baraujo, X-Fade, lcuk, Ken-Young and nidO for helping me out on my first attempt to create and uplaod a package.

Retro Conversations can be used to import and read SMS from other phones. Options like forward, find, filter and sort. An interface that mimics original Nokia Conversation look and feel and another one similar to SMS interface on previous nokia phones.

Since importing SMS from old Nokia phones are not supported (yet), I wrote this as my first app. It's in Python and Qt.

These are the project phases that I hope to accomplish

Phase 1:
  • Import Inbox and Sent files
  • Old View (messages are represented by the their sender in inbox/ receiver in sent, ordered according to date of arrival, just like ordinary messaging before Nokia Conversations)
  • Options like forward, delete
  • Show contact card by tapping contact
Phase 2:
  • Mimicking the look and feel of Nokia Conversations
  • Favorites
Phase 3:
  • Find in messages
  • Filter by contact names
  • Sort
Phase 4:
  • Import directly from other phones

I'm still in phase one, in green is what I've finished, in red is what's remaining (I should have removed the delete button ). Currently the supported format is csv exported by Nokia PC Suite.

So in short, what do you get if you install now? You get to import and read your old messages from previous Nokia phones

Package's name is retroconv and is available at Extras Devel, so make sure you've read the usual warnings.
Attached Images

Last edited by tgalal; 2010-04-08 at 18:28.

The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to tgalal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 140 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Earth
Tgalal,

That sounds a fine application and will come in handy for many of us. Nice work and keep up the good work.

Will it be developed to import stored messages from the DRAFT sms folder ?? I've got many many quality joke ammunition stored there in my old N96 i'd like to transfer to the 900 when possible.

N900 - Use, Master, Appreciate.

Last edited by Astute; 2010-04-08 at 19:06.

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Thank you. btw your battery is low man =)

Originally Posted by Astute View Post
Will it be developed to import stored messages from the DRAFT sms folder ?? I've got many many quality joke ammunition stored there in my old N96 i'd like to transfer to the 900 when possible.
I can't remember if they're exportable or not. If so, I will add support for them I'm willing to make it support messages from all possible folders.

Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
Thank you. btw your battery is low man =)
Yes, but that was during the animation of charging

Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Good job. Unfortunately it's too late for me, as when I moved to the N900 I lost all my SMSs.

Posts: 601 | Thanked: 549 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Redditch, UK
Nice work fella, sold my N95-2 for £120 when I got my N900 but still have the remnants of all the texts on Lifeblog - but this is certainly an app that many people will find useful....

Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
Good job. Unfortunately it's too late for me, as when I moved to the N900 I lost all my SMSs.
I actually feel the app is too late. Some one should have implemented this as soon as N900 was out, so switching users could keep their history.
There is this script but it might be a headache for some people because it's a console app. It does a very good job importing messages to native conversations, but it had side effects when I tried it (like imported message not deletable).

Any one tried this application as it is pre-alfa

any problems??

Originally Posted by ahmoda View Post
Any one tried this application as it is pre-alfa

any problems??
Sorry I forgot to update garage page, it's alpha. I think it's safe and stable and it does exactly what's in green

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by tgalal View Post
I actually feel the app is too late. Some one should have implemented this as soon as N900 was out, so switching users could keep their history.
I don't think it's to late. Please. keep one going. Most users made a backup of their old device before they sold it. I've done this also with every device I had before. So, it isn't to late. I can import my old messages in the near future.

The Following User Says Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post: