Active Topics

Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Original Link.

TMO forum started being part of maemo.org more than 3 years ago with funding from Nokia. Previously it was part of the web site Internet Tablet Talk, privately founded by Reggie Suplido and dedicated to the initial Nokia Maemo devices.

The Internet Tablet Talk first and TMO later, have been the glue for this amazing community that we have, providing an efficient way of communication between developers and end users, not just a place for discussion and comments.

Reggie has been the administrator and owner of forums since the very beginning, and thanks to him a lot has been accomplished. However, now that Nokia is stopping activities around Maemo and Meego, continuation of forums was at risk.

The cost of maintenance for current host solution was too expensive ($468/month) to be funded by the Hildon Foundation. Continuing in the same way was clearly difficult so migration to a cheaper solution was somehow mandatory.

Finally, Reggie has decided to donate the forum to the Hildon Foundation:

"I will be stepping down as the TMO administrator effective January 1, 2013. I have decided that I will be donating the database to the foundation."

"I saw my name mentioned in one of the board meetings about the possibility of becoming the admin of maemo.org. I appreciate the offer but I have to decline as of this time."

From the Hildon Foundation we want to thank Reggie for this contribution and for all the time and efforts he has shared with us.

Now we have different constraints that affect the migration of the server:
  • Lack of funds to pay a new hosting service and a vBulletin license. Please donate!
  • Man power to migrate and administrate the forums. Board and Council are conducting a survey to address it.
  • Concerns about data privacy laws if we move the service from the U.S. to Europe.

Migrating to an OSS might be doable in the near future but at this point it could be very difficult to accomplish, as we lack resources and time. However, if anyone with the required knowledge is interested in starting such a project for migration, please contact with Council.

Last edited by ivgalvez; 2012-12-12 at 19:42.

The Following 31 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
thanks for all the hard work, everyone. how do we donate?

The Following User Says Thank You to droll For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by droll View Post
how do we donate?
Scan Me (I now work)
Link striaght to PayPal

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

Last edited by sixwheeledbeast; 2012-12-13 at 17:20.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Added donation link in first post.

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
FYI fixed the QR Code in post 3 to go straight to PayPal if you wish to use it elsewhere.
Like on HFO for example.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following User Says Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
It's been some time since I've posted but I do read through posts still. I'd hate to see this resource go away. Already donated and wanted to wish luck in achieving the funding goal.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xopher For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
  • Concerns about data privacy laws if we move the service from the U.S. to Europe.
I wonder what those might be. A genuine question. I know there is for example a Data Protection Act in place in the UK which, if I understand it correctly (IANAL), states that an organization cannot keep your personal data for longer than 6 moths (which is why my Blockbusters card expired and some headhunters keep calling me every 6 months just to keep my account alive). Is this the kind of thing you have in mind?

[*] Lack of funds to pay a new hosting service and a vBulletin license. Please donate!
i'd like to donate, but i won't touch PayPal with a ten foot pole. is there a more acceptable way?

[*] Concerns about data privacy laws if we move the service from the U.S. to Europe.[/LIST]
i, too, like to know what that refers to.
common opinion in this part of the world is, that privacy laws in the US are not much to write home about

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by arne.anka View Post
common opinion in this part of the world is, that privacy laws in the US are not much to write home about
I believe that's the issue. Transferring user information to/from parties (eg from Reggie to Board) can be a royal nightmare because of the privacy laws in the EU.

In some cases/countries the laws have special requirements when moving from one service provider to another, even if the data in question is overseen by the same legal entity. So changing from one host service to another could trigger this all over again if we need to hop severs 6, 12, or 18 months down the road. The fact that the US lacks such rigid laws in this case would be a plus, because it allows for easier transfer from one host/operator to another in the event it needs to happen again.

The worry isn't that the laws will allow the spread of user information; the general morality and make-up of the Board, Council, and community volunteers should prevent that. The issue is when countries have such strict laws "for the user's safety", it can become a challenge to move or continue a service without making it a huge hassle for everyone involved (as the "Block Buster" example above shows).

As it stands, after the move right now there's a good chance that lots of personal information will be purged from the database because of current laws. We'll likely have account names, and their current hashed passwords. That means people will need to go back in and re-enter their e-mail address, avatar/icons, and the like after logging in on the new server. Forgot your password and want to use e-mail to validate? To bad, that's gone... Forgot to reset that after the change & need it 2 months later? Oops... We need to move the server again in 6 months because of budget concerns? Let's do all that over again!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
So, you need a US host. Is this a problem? US hosts are often quite cheap, and with paypal, you should be able to pay for it from outside the US. If they need a real US address, I'm sure there's a T.MO member who'd be willing to support us that way.

Edit:
also, in a few months when I get my home fiber connection, I'd like to offer up server space & bandwidth towards hosting whatever's needed - be a mirror for the Tablet images or something.

I've also donated $10 in the near term, because I have a job and /can/.
OC freqs: 0:22,90 125:22,90 250:28,180 500:30,360 550:32,400 600:34,430 700:39,430 750:41,430 805:45,430 850:47,500 900:50,500 950:54,500 1000:58,500 1100:67,520 1150:71,520

Last edited by RobbieThe1st; 2012-12-14 at 04:09.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to RobbieThe1st For This Useful Post: