Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
However, our restrictions HAVE been a huge problem for my international team. I wanted to host some conferences here but was told the US government makes it way too difficult.

Only real trouble I've had abroad has been in Paris and Zurich. In the former they just like to hassle Americans. In the latter, I think my collection of Nokia gadgetry set off 15 red alerts.

I travel lighter now.
America is bigger than the US. You can always host one outside the US. For example, the OpenBSD team regularly comes together in Canada for their hackathons.

Will there be press coverage about the summit?

I can think of 2 kinds of press coverage: community and regular. Community, maybe throughout the day or at the end of the day some folks from maemo.org or internettablettalk could (alone or collaborating) post on forum or frontpage about their experience / feelings, or something more in depth.

Regular journalists need to know about the summit. I've done my 2 ct in this regard contacting IT journalists I know and that was it regarding my inspiration however given this is in Germany I certainly wish a respected news outlet like derspiegel.de or heise.de writes an article about the summit.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
America is bigger than the US. You can always host one outside the US.
I'm well aware of both points.

My remark was in a US-location context though.

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bath, UK
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Will there be press coverage about the summit?
http://linuxuk.org/node/53
http://wiki.maemo.org/Talk:Maemo_Summit_2008_recordings

HTH

The Following User Says Thank You to Baloo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Jaffa spotted this one.

Something interesting's a-cookin'. . . .

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 276 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bath, UK
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Jaffa spotted this one.

Yes, looks like its going to be very interesting if its going to generate that much hype.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Oh. Wow. He's dropping some kind of A-Bomb. I get the impression that it isn't so much a product announcement as it is a policy change? A corporate decision that will change how Nokia does things (in regards to Maemo and open source), and will shake up the industry? Hm. On the other hand, it might just be a product announcement.

EDIT: I guess it could be a product announcement and a policy change. A new product (or product line) that signals a change in the way Nokia does things? Maybe they're replacing Symbian with Maemo?

Last edited by qole; 2008-09-10 at 16:01.

I dunno, I think a N900 announcement with a load of fremantle-related policy discussion would do it.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Maybe they're replacing Symbian with Maemo?
Buying & open sourcing Symbian for nothing? Yeah right maybe the other way around. Qt on Symbian?

..and I remember Qt2 on the Zaurus..would never have imagined Nokia picking the whole idea up into reality..

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Hee hee HEE.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
I dunno, I think a N900 announcement with a load of fremantle-related policy discussion would do it.
Hm, I might almost be disappointed by that. But I'm terrible when it comes to getting my expectations up. I always expect too much. I guess I'm terrified that the N900 will be one step forward, one step back, like the N810. Sure, it will have features X and Y, but they had to sacrifice features W and Z to make it happen... Everyone will be going "ooh" and "ahh" over the new faster processor and big pretty screen, and I'll be sadly shaking my head that they didn't bring back the two full size SD card slots of the N800, and the still-awkward placement of the USB connector. But that's me. Mr. Eeyore.

Last edited by qole; 2008-09-10 at 17:53.

Tags
maemo.org