Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Yes, keep using Google / Yahoo / Virtual Earth maps, rather than re-inventing the wheel.

The Google Street View van has been seen wandering my streets, and you're suggesting I recreate the maps for my city?
But OSM is open source.... And I KNOW that we all are open source fanboys... ;-)

Imagine following situation: You are on the way to work. Then you see, that they are building a new street (in my village very often, because many people try to escape from berlin, but they still want live near...). Google need to send their cool google-car to check everything out, and after a year or so, the new street is covered in google maps, too. But YOU can pull out your n810 (or the next device with built-in data-modem) and just drive on that new street once (upload it directly with the new device) and voilá, its on OSM.

The Following User Says Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
Yes, keep using Google / Yahoo / Virtual Earth maps, rather than re-inventing the wheel.

The Google Street View van has been seen wandering my streets, and you're suggesting I recreate the maps for my city?
<sarcastic>Since we already have Windows Mobile, why should we bother reinventing the wheel?</sarcastic> Also, just FYI, scraping google map tiles is against Google's terms of service for the google maps API, AFAICT:
http://code.google.com/apis/maps/faq.html#tos_tiles

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
And it would seem that I have spoken too soon, and too harshly, as well. I just checked openstreetmap.org and they have dramatically improved the maps for Vancouver in the last year. A year ago they had only a few major streets for my city and mostly empty space. Now they have all the small streets and even some features that Google Maps don't have.

I'm actually quite sorry and embarrassed about what I said above...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
And it would seem that I have spoken too soon, and too harshly, as well. I just checked openstreetmap.org and they have dramatically improved the maps for Vancouver in the last year. A year ago they had only a few major streets for my city and mostly empty space. Now they have all the small streets and even some features that Google Maps don't have.

I'm actually quite sorry and embarrassed about what I said above...
Many things change with time. No need to be embarrassed. We do our best to help each other with the knowledge we have. To me you are a very credible source of information.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

The Following User Says Thank You to fragos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Is Nokia's WRT now available for diablo and chinook?

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Belgium
Hi master of gizmo, I love the concept of having a common widget to have a consistent experience and to allow the developers to focus on something else than drawing a map.

Is osm-gps-map using a single repository to store the maps between the separate applications ?
So, if a user downloads a few tiles using OSM2Go, does he get those tiles available from every other application using the osm-gps-map widget ?

I haven't seen where I could downlaod the widget and try to play with it. I'd love to try and make a prototype for simple, finger friendly application for in-car use. I find maemo mapper to not be ideal to use while driving.

Does it have python bindings ?

Looking for beta testers for a price comparison engine:
http://www.shoptimate.com

Posts: 345 | Thanked: 467 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Yesterday I tried this widget for the first time and the first instinct was to use the right hand even if I was sustaining the device with the left. The buttons require certain precision. But you might be right, let's get ourselves more used to this interesting widget.
The OSD controls are fully configurable. They are a seperate layer above the map. Currently there's only the "classic" style OSD which resembles the google maps controls.

But you can do any kind of OSD with this. The next style planned is based upon ecoachs fremantle style with the two big zoomin and zoomout buttons at the border.

It really depends on the app which is better. Imho a fullscreen map as in gpxview needs those thumb buttons at the border. A map integrated into a complex dialog box like in osm2go should rather have these google like controls especially if - like in the osm2go area selection - it doesn't support dragging the map.

MoG

Originally Posted by inoshishi View Post
Is osm-gps-map using a single repository to store the maps between the separate applications ?
Yes it is. It's the app using the map that the specifies where the data goes (or of it isn't cached at all), but i strongly recommend to use the same defaults i use, so they all use the same cache.

I haven't seen where I could downlaod the widget and try to play with it.
Currently the development takes place inside gpxview and the code is copied into osm2go every now and then. I am planning to make this a complete stand-alone project, but that hasn't happened now. I'll also make a simple stand-alone app using it as an example. But currently gpxview probably is the best place to look.

Does it have python bindings ?
[/QUOTE]

The original osm-gps-map had them. My extensions (which are getting more and more) don't.

Originally Posted by sampppa View Post
Well osm-gps-map is capable of showing google maps, virtual earth, yahoo and osm... It just needs a features for placing POI's, buttons and other data on top of the map image. So it's a widget for various map sources, not just osm
Selecting the map source is something the widget still has to learn. Currently this can already be done by the application using the widget, but there should imho also be an OSD option for the map for this, so the developer also doesn't have to care about this.

But i stronly recommend osm since it's the only one that will sure always allow such widgets. Google and friends may just change/disable their apis at will (and they already did which is why osm-gps-map and maemo mapper can't use the google hybrid map anymore).

MoG

The Following User Says Thank You to Master of Gizmo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
I've tried the widget out in gpxView, its nice having all the geocaches shown on the map by default. I have a couple questions though.

Is there a way to download a large area of tiles (instead of dragging the map around and auto-downloading)?

Where do the map tiles get downloaded to, and is there a way to change this?