The icons look like android. Anybody else thinks that?

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
The video on Jolla website is astounding. Its start and finish, especially, show the unique, innovative, beautiful approach. However, I will have to watch it again and again to understand just how the demonstrated interface works.
Jolla has moved them to the lockscreen, allowing you to maximise what is shown on your display.
Yes, this solution is most definitely welcome.
Jolla has also integrated a new “Pulley Menu,” (shown above) providing mobile owners with easy ways to interact with their Jolla device. While a pull down mechanism might be present in Android or iOS, Sailfish offers a completely new method of operation. Instead of using the pull down to refresh content or show notifications, Jolla’s OS allows users to display menu items that help share photos or videos to social networks with the push of a button.
Grateful. Android menu has been annoying me, when I looked at it; notifications interface within Maemo is much better [than anything else I have ever seen in reality], intuitively obvious (I am speaking about hildon banner, notification led and, when a call is missed, twinkling left top corner).
The OS will feature “effortless multitasking,” allowing users to switch between running applications directly on the homescreen, “ending a call, pausing a song or without needing to enter the application.”
How do you make the list of running applications visible on the homescreen? Is it brought onto the homescreen by a swipe? Is an application switched to by a swipe? And the application never uses the full screen - the background is always visible at the left and right - ah, it's because of different form factors, on real phone it doesn't have these ledges? In the end, the background changes from orange-with-tree to blue-with-city - how does it happen (look at 51.778: the brief moment when neither background is seen), is it because there are several homescreens with different backgrounds, and direction of swipe affects to which of them you return from task manager?
I hope they will soon have a promotional video with hardware and software showcased, like the beautiful video about N900. They could show a close-up of sailfish eye, or sail, then...
Best wishes.

Originally Posted by tissot View Post
one more hands-on video i had not seen before.
http://nokiagadgets.com/2012/11/21/j...nning-on-n950/

TMO is going to get a lot of spam requests for this to be ported to the n9 now.

That UI is very lovely IMO. Have they showed off the ACL yet?

Last edited by MINKIN2; 2012-11-21 at 12:12.

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ France
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Running on N950: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHn3qp_E3_A
The UI seems nice on the video, but I think you need to use it yourself to have a good opinion. I wouldn't be surprised if you often go back to the running application screen while scolling up the application grid. Also, they kept some swipe gestures, but not the animations that made you understand it right away what you're doing. Here, when he swipes, there isn't any card following your finger out of the screen, like on the N9. It may be due to a Nokia patent, but I hope they will come up with a more intuite way.

I also think they lack a proper identity. When you see a squircle, immediately you think Harmattan/Symbian/Nokia. There, their icons have different shapes and styles, there is no coherence, and it could be any Android frontend. And it seems to me that many of the new concepts found in Sailfish are also in the new Blackberry OS, so I hope they won't fight each other with some patents.

I am also a bit worried that there is no status bar. I like seeing all the time my battery state, my network and having a notification icon for messages or updates whatever the application I am using at the moment. It's good that they want to do something different, but they should be careful not to loose in usability.

I have a lot of hopes for Jolla, that's why I point out the negative aspects. But there are also a good number of positive ones. Android compatibility is a huuuge advantage over Harmattan. I also like a lot the idea of the UI adapting to the main colours of the wallpaper. The interactive tiles seems like a good idea to me, even if I'd like to use it myself to have a better idea.

They just presented the current state of their new OS, I am sure it will be improved over time. And I'm looking forward to being able to install that on my N9 for testing.

Originally Posted by tissot View Post
one more hands-on video i had not seen before.
http://nokiagadgets.com/2012/11/21/j...nning-on-n950/
With a proper hardware (ST-Ericsson) and software truly optimized that UI could be stunning and properly smooth. With that kind of UI the response needs to be as smooth and fast as possible. I really mean smooth here, iOS, Android and WP8 kind of smooth.

Again, they will need to get this out in time. It will be a hard task for company like Jolla, but i got my fingers crossed for it.

Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by AGui View Post
The UI seems nice on the video, but I think you need to use it yourself to have a good opinion. I wouldn't be surprised if you often go back to the running application screen while scolling up the application grid. Also, they kept some swipe gestures, but not the animations that made you understand it right away what you're doing. Here, when he swipes, there isn't any card following your finger out of the screen, like on the N9. It may be due to a Nokia patent, but I hope they will come up with a more intuite way.

I also think they lack a proper identity. When you see a squircle, immediately you think Harmattan/Symbian/Nokia. There, their icons have different shapes and styles, there is no coherence, and it could be any Android frontend. And it seems to me that many of the new concepts found in Sailfish are also in the new Blackberry OS, so I hope they won't fight each other with some patents.

I am also a bit worried that there is no status bar. I like seeing all the time my battery state, my network and having a notification icon for messages or updates whatever the application I am using at the moment. It's good that they want to do something different, but they should be careful not to loose in usability.

I have a lot of hopes for Jolla, that's why I point out the negative aspects. But there are also a good number of positive ones. Android compatibility is a huuuge advantage over Harmattan. I also like a lot the idea of the UI adapting to the main colours of the wallpaper. The interactive tiles seems like a good idea to me, even if I'd like to use it myself to have a better idea.

They just presented the current state of their new OS, I am sure it will be improved over time. And I'm looking forward to being able to install that on my N9 for testing.
I think it has no identity because you give it one! The phone becomes personal to you, you apply your ambience change your background and what not. That's my assumption

Posts: 380 | Thanked: 459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Slovenia
I just wonder what happens if you have more than 4 apps in multitasking?

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Mhm... What if, say, 10 or 20 applications are open? Will they just fill the homescreen so that the grid of icons moves further down? Or do we swipe left and right?

The eyes in the Jolla video, I reckon it's the motion sensor

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm but i need keyboard

Tags
dave ate sail, fishing jolla, n9 sailfish, nokia n950, sailfish, sailfish os, sailfish video, where?