Active Topics

* I have two N800's -one for me, the other for my family. Use them around the house, and for checking in when mobile via a tethered phone.
* I'm interested in bug fixes for existing functionality, especially basics like Modest fixes on Diablo. I mainly use email, browser, RSS, Maemo Mapper, Gpodder. Get rid of nagging problems with them, and I will use this hardware until it dies.
* I usually contribute by helping new users with questions. (Now that my hardware is dated, my utility in this function is low.) I can program, but due to other committments, can't invest the time.
* Longer term, if Mer is usable on an N800, and supports getting newer versions of apps like the above, I will use it. I suspect that I will likely be in the market for new hardware by then though - the N800 is fantastic, the best hardware design to me, but if someone has a newer machine with a similar screen size, similar tablet functionality but with an updated processor, I'd be investing in it. (Especially if it ran Meego or Mer.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to canoehead For This Useful Post:
Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Even though I have an N900, I still use my N800 regularly. It's a solid piece of hardware that feels like it will still be usable for a number of years to come. We can't let the community around it die out.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 291 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Trier, Germany
* I have a N800 (and I love it!)

* I'm interested to see and use mer on my device

* I'm willing to contribute with programming and testing

* If this 3d driver thing would happen, I would then be able to use mer

The Following User Says Thank You to bongo For This Useful Post:
+1 from me,

* N810 (and N800)

* I'd like to have Mer running on them

* Programming and testing, some DSP/other driver work if needed, though am currently very short of time

The Following User Says Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
I've still got my n810, but it's on its last legs. I used to have 3 at one time, but ended up not using the other two enough to warrant keeping them around, so I sold them. Now I wish I hadn't. But, even if it dies, I'll still hang around in support of the community, and maybe pick up another device in the near future.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Raiden For This Useful Post:
* I have a N810 in daily use
* I'm interested to see and use regular updates, both security fixes and applications, and updates to the development toolkits
* I will continue to maintain some "exotic" packages like R, emacs, unison (see www.ws.chemie.tu-muenchen.de/hydrogeo/tools)

The Following User Says Thank You to scg For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
A post-mortem over some parts of Mer, but also relevant information about future of Mer for N8x0:

http://mer-project.blogspot.com/2010...redshirts.html
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
A post-mortem over some parts of Mer, but also relevant information about future of Mer for N8x0:

http://mer-project.blogspot.com/2010...redshirts.html
Makes sense. Thanks for being quick to provide this head-ups on the roadmap.

I've been wondering if we should also rethink Diablo in light of MeeGo. Particularly, with the availability of GTK+, is it feasible to dare dream of doing Hildon extensions and porting existing GTK+ Diablo apps to work on top of Meego? I defer to those with technical expertise (particularly those devs that wrote apps and were hesitating to try to do a harmattan revision) on the practicality of it, and I am just floating the idea.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 308 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Turkiye
i have an n810
i have some app. ideas for diablo
i may start making these apps. this holiday cause im at the last grade at high school so this term is so busy i need to study a lot to enroll an university for computer engineering

The Following User Says Thank You to McLightning For This Useful Post:
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
I use my N810 every day. The current OS works for me. I would like to see continued development of apps. Some are great, many could use a bit of polish, and a few are missing entirely.

I wouldn't mind a better list app (like my old Palm's Handyshopper) and a robust task/todo app, ideally with cloud integration.

Tags
maemo4, nokia n800, nokia n810