Active Topics

Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
Do you really think salaries are going to grow fast enough in China that this deal will become affordable to a significant percentage of China Mobile's subscribers within the time frame of the 920 being a relevant device?

You say NOKIA are 'cutting in'? China Mobile (who are by far the biggest carrier) were part of the MeeGo working group! So how do you think NOKIA cut out in the first place?
Yes. 10% of monthly salary is already close enough (Cue's post for data). With lowend offerings (Nokia developing for half ram as was defined in WinPhone7 product description) they opened new markets. Nokia and MSFT are going to reshape that market. Nokia by brand and quality, MS by $. 920 is not the whole NOK offering. Even asha phones for 1/3 price offer quality. The market there is not ripe for iPhone-type offerings (without subsidies 1000$ is hard to spend even outside China). Growing a user base is hard with too high price, Samsung/ZTE are more likely competitors in that market.
No idea what you mean by Meego working group, did china mobile release a meego phone?

Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
Do you really think salaries are going to grow fast enough in China that this deal will become affordable to a significant percentage of China Mobile's subscribers within the time frame of the 920 being a relevant device?
Yes. Define significant percentage in China. There are 1,350,000,000 people there.

Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Yes. 10% of monthly salary is already close enough (Cue's post for data).
That's 10% of GROSS monthly salary. You really think that's close enough? Really? Do you still live at home with your parents by any chance?

Cue's figures further support my argument. If only 11% of China Mobile's subscribers even have 3G in the first place, how many of that 11% will have a top end phone? How many of that little percentage will opt for a 920 in preference to a Galaxy or iPhone? The number just keeps getting smaller and smaller doesn't it?

Nokia and MSFT are going to reshape that market. Nokia by brand and quality, MS by $.
On what do you base that assertion? So far nothing has happened that would suggest that's feasible.

920 is not the whole NOK offering. Even asha phones for 1/3 price offer quality.
Ashas aren't bad, however you can get an Android device of better spec for the same money and from Chinese manufacturers too. It seems patriotism is becoming a real factor in the Chinese smartphone market with Huawei, ZTE, Lenovo and CoolPad all enjoying growing support from the Chinese consumer. I understand Android's market share in China last quarter was over 90% as a result.

No idea what you mean by Meego working group, did china mobile release a meego phone?
"Working Groups

The day-to-day operations of the MeeGo programs are steered by a number of working groups, which are delegates of the Technical Steering Group. The working groups are devoted to strategic discussions in specific areas and are accountable to provide input and guidance about requirements, direction, policies, and conflict resolution, within their area of responsibility. These working groups are open to maintainers and other individuals and organizations that specialize in the domain of the specific group."

MeeGo Handset Working Group

China Mobile had publicly announced their intention to offer MeeGo handsets to their subscribers before Elop pulled the plug on the project.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I wouldn't be surprised if Nokia abandons mobile phones in the near future . It's become too competitive

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Graveyard

It's only "too competitive" if you base your product strategy around something that doesn't put customers first.

"Once bitten twice shy" exists as a saying for a reason.

Microsoft have bitten their customers far to often in every area of technology to be relevant any longer and only the blind sheeples remain behind.

This much is obvious.

rgds

Originally Posted by ranbaxy View Post
Nokia Lumia 920 Sold Out In 20 Minutes
Déjà vu from less than a year ago?
http://www.businessinsider.com/nokia...-at-att-2012-4

I'm beginning to think all those factory layoffs/closures had a devastating effect on output. They seem to be spreading them thin.

Last edited by Cue; 2013-01-01 at 10:48.

Is that just the Lumia 920 or the 920T? Ubergizmo appears to have omitted a lot of info from their article...

Another factor as to why there appears to be such demand for the 920 is that China mobile are offering the new Nokia flagship phone for just 1Yuan, yes they are practically giving them away.

Of course it could be that they only had one in stock and it took their best sales assistant twenty minutes to sucker some mug into buying it.

This smells like of one of WinKia's marketing stories to me (like the 900 outselling the iPhone in China, remember that?), let's wait and see what the numbers really are.

I read a comment on another site suggesting the 800s were all price dumped in just a few countries (UK and Italy being amongst them) in order to give the impression there's been a sudden jump in demand for Windows Phone in certain markets. Another desperate attempt at creating a 'positive buzz' around Windows Phone? I'll titter if Elop does make that boast in NOKIA's financial statements at the end of the quarter.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
We got to wait for financial statements. I suspect, like most of you, that the units sold are miniscule. Its a good phone, I would say excellent phone, given that I used it over my vacation and didnt miss iphone once. However, its not as ergonomic as iphone, apps are not as polished, and overall not as photogenic in terms of UI, as is iphone. Androids I dont do, cheap plastic Samsung garbage is not my cup of tea. I think that WP8 attempt shows that its not enough to be excellent, you have to really come up with something revolutionary to jump over apple or android. MS is trying to do it by having WP8 on desktop computers and phones, so hope is to convert the masses to a new UI. It remains to be seen if the strategy works.

Overall, Elop did the right choice at the time, but the choice is still not good enough. He did the right thing in getting rid of Symbian and other Taleban UIs, such as Harmattan, but it was too late. pre-Elop leadership missed the boat, the hemorrhage was heavy, and not even a good band aid could save this bleeding company. OH well, I hope I am wrong, but I like my stocks in financials better. So far 30% up from my last year

Tags
bring me beer, downward spiral, elop is nero, let's talk bs, lumiadickweed, lumiatard, nero fiddling, nokia bears, nokiastockrock, thanks for asha