Notices

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Manchester
Hi,

I've got the latest Squeezeplay source running on my n800. Squeezeplay is the software platform used in the Logitech Squeezebox Touch, and can be used to remote control all devices in the Squeezebox range as well as streaming audio playback. Its working ok as a controller but I've not got the audio playback working yet.

Unfortunately the Logitech Public Source License prevents me from posting any binaries (I think - am checking), compilation notes are here though if anyone wants to give it a go.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=68232

More info on squeezebox etc here:
http://www.logitechsqueezebox.com/

If anyone is interested in giving me a hand getting audio working give me a shout.

-Pat
Attached Images

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to pat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 46 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ MA, USA
So, I'm a big Slim/Squeeze user. I've got 4 SBs of various generations all about the house and a SB Controller as well. I often use SqueezePlayer on my desktop. I would love to get SP running on my n810. I thought it was written in Java, though. How is it running on your 800? And what skin is that? I can program in Java and in C, but I'm not sure I would have the first clue as to where to begin looking at the audio playback code. Are you a member on the developers' list?

EDIT: Ah, I just followed your link. Ignore my questions for now.
EDIT: And I see I was confusing Squeezeplay with SoftSqueeze.

Last edited by rjcooke; 2009-09-23 at 23:10.

yep - its c based with a lua scripted UI. It runs pretty smoothly, but it does need a few tweaks here and there, mainly for sdl to handle stuff like screen power saving and task switching and theres a few problems exiting the app sometimes.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...d_Instructions

has details on obtaining the source.

ok, I'm going to look into this. I've been programming for over 20 years with various 3GLs but almost exclusively in the DOS/Win16/Win32 realm. All of my Unix experience is with Java/JSP or scripting languages where the target environment doesn't make that big of a difference. So while I'm no stranger to C, the process of developing on Linux (installing Linux, for that matter) is all new to me so maybe you won't mind fielding noob questions? I had been putting off installing a Linux VM as I've got much other programming that needs my attention and the N900 is who-knows-how-far away but now I've got some motivation.

excellent, go for it. Get yourself setup with the sdk and make sure you can get a simple helloworld built for arm, then i'll walk you through the build process i've been through to get to this stage.

There's some prebuilt vms floating around that i've not tried, but i think they will be quickest to set up.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I really can't believe that a public source license would forbid posting binaries for different platforms! Can you please post the relevant portion of the license for us so we can perform IANAL analysis on it?

http://svn.slimdevices.com/jive/7.5/...SE?view=markup

2. Logitech's License Grant to You. Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement, Logitech hereby grants You, effective on the date You accept this Agreement and download the Original Code, a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license, to the extent of Logitech's Applicable Patent Rights and copyrights covering the Original Code, to use, reproduce, modify, and prepare derivative works based on the Original Code, solely for personal use only, whether commercial or non-commercial.

3. License Restrictions. You acknowledge that the Original Code constitutes and contains trade secrets of Logitech and its licensors and that You have no right to transfer, sublicense, or otherwise distribute the Original Code to any third party. Except as expressly authorized in this Agreement, You will not copy or modify the Original Code, in whole or in part, or otherwise make the functionality of the Original Code available to third parties. Except as expressly stated in Section 2, no other patent rights, express or implied, are granted by Logitech herein.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Well, after some flailing and fighting I remotely ran Hello World on the n810, launching it from ESbox. I'm using the SDK VMware image from tablets-dev hosted on Vista and VMWare Workstation 6.5. Followed the docs for setting up USB networking. Some things seemed to take a few attempts to "take" like setting a password for "user" on the n810 and having it accepted when I launched the app. Good progress for tonight, anyway.

With regards to the license, this is covered by the following bug:

https://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=14194

Hopefully this will be resolved at some point.

@rjcooke - good stuff. What you need to do now is to grab the svn source, extract it to your scratchbox home directory, make sure you have libreadline5-dev from maemo extras in your scratchbox environment, then do "make -f Makefile.linux" to build.

If you hit the problems I mentioned in the slimdevices forum just follow the workrounds i posted there.

If all goes well you will end up with a tar.gz file in a build directory. Copy this to /opt/squeezeplay on the device and extract, then run the squeezeplay.sh script.

The dependencies list that you will need to install within scratchbox is here:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...On_Ubuntu_7.10

You can install these using apt-get in scratchbox. You will also need to install libreadline5 from maemo extras on the tablet.

I've not tried any of this from within ESBox or any other IDE, just built from the terminal at this stage. I've also not tried with the x86 target, I just went straight to device - I'd recommend you do the same.

Hope all this makes sense, Let me know how you get on.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pat For This Useful Post:
Well, so far not so great. When I try to install libreadline5-dev I don't see it in the application manager even though I've got extras-devel configured as a catalog. If I try to use apt-get -f install libreadline5-def I get complaints about dependencies (libncurses5-dev, libncurses5, libc-dev). libc-dev can't be found and I get version warnings on libncurses5.

For the scratchbox side I've added extras-devel to sources.list. The output from the make file does make it seem like the readline packages were installed but then I get a warning about authenticating them and that there is a "temporary failure resolving 'repository.maemo.org'

Anyway, if you have the time then some more detailed setup instructions would be useful... remember I have no experience setting up these environments so no level of detail will offend me. Otherwise I'll keep muddling through it.

And it's ok to just call me "Rob"