Posts: 426 | Thanked: 374 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Middle East
Originally Posted by Vesuri View Post
Nah, that wouldn't solve the problem for all apps. One way to do this was suggested in post 28 but let's see what the best solution turns out to be That solution actually looks promising but the buttons need to be made darker to match Harmattan's black window style.
Yeah, it's a good solution, BUT.. you gotta agree that larger icon size would look waaay better.

How about this: when you do make a settings page for managing the apps, if the app is a frequently used native Nokia app, there can be a big icon. If it's a third party app, it can have such a grey/black bg to make it big.

Let's say Drive, Music, Camera, Notes, Call, Maps, Backlighter and maybe one or two more can have larger icons. I'm assuming 95% of the people would use these apps mostly while driving.

Just an idea.. what do you think?

Portfolio: AKstudios : : graphics with attitude.
Flickr: AKstudios
Twitter: @flopjoke

Made some darker variations of it for you. Feel free to use them (attached file).

Mockup:
Attached Files
File Type: zip N9_Launcher_Icon.zip (26.2 KB, 74 views)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post:
Thanks!

To be honest, I don't think the upscaled icons are a significant issue because of the use case of the application. Most likely users won't be spending too many seconds looking at the In Car Home Screen itself since its main purpose is to provide access to other applications. Also, when the phone is in a car phone holder, it's usually viewed from an arms-length distance, so scaled icons really shouldn't be much of an issue. It may be my eyesight, but I honestly can't see the upscaled pixels from the normal use case distance so that it would bother me (even though bad quality graphics usually do bother me). Now, thinking about it, I'd rather have the upscaled icons than the small icons with a bigger button around them because the most important thing is to immediately recognize which button is which and for that the upscaled icons suit their purpose just fine.

The Following User Says Thank You to Vesuri For This Useful Post:
Posts: 426 | Thanked: 374 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Middle East
^ haha yeah, actually.. makes sense. Yup, for the use case of this app, it's perfect the way it is =)

Portfolio: AKstudios : : graphics with attitude.
Flickr: AKstudios
Twitter: @flopjoke

The Following User Says Thank You to flopjoke For This Useful Post:

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vesuri For This Useful Post:
Posts: 144 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New Zealand
Originally Posted by Vesuri View Post
Version 0.1.3 is now available.
YES! That looks great now - missing icons now resolve perfectly... Thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to PhatApteryx For This Useful Post:
are there any plans to make the selection of the apps that appear on the screen easily user editable? It would be a nice enhancement before no more enhancements are allowed