Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
Looking at the webOS internals stuff I see I could get pretty much all the command line stuff I want

App development is a bit limited to either C or Javascript. It does have SDL so maybe pygame could work on it. Also I think I saw someone post that they are shipping qt so I wonder if that'll become a possibility.

The two main issues are (1) limited HW availability due to single vendor and (2) with large parts not being open and HP limited SW upgrades, will we run into a similar situation as we do with Nokia and some Android manufacturers that to upgrade SW you have to buy a new device.

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
Originally Posted by epage View Post
The two main issues are (1) limited HW availability due to single vendor and (2) with large parts not being open and HP limited SW upgrades, will we run into a similar situation as we do with Nokia and some Android manufacturers that to upgrade SW you have to buy a new device.
Agreed it's not perfect, but considering the events of the last week it's looking very attractive.

The single hardware source and possibility of a compelled hardware upgrade are no different then where we were with Maemo and Nokia.

Except HP seems to give a s^$T about their Linux platform....

Looking down WebOS Avenue myself for my next handset.
After the N900 I don't think I could go back to a closed or network branded O/S again.

Not liking the current range of Palm handsets at the mo, they look a little too "Old School Samsung(ish)" to me.

The Following User Says Thank You to stickymick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 193 | Thanked: 201 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Subotica, Serbia
Originally Posted by mbo View Post
Don't know what "qualified" means, but I'll see...
In this content I mean it means developers who have done apps for the Pre 2, will get free a Pre 3 so they can move their aps to Enyo.

to see how you can receive the latest device to test your apps.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mmlado For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
WebOS looks interesting. However, the hardware upon which it runs concerns me. The earlier Palm-built Pres made the news several times for widespread hardware design and build issues, and a decade or more has passed since I've had an HP printer or other peripheral remain functional long enough past the end of its short limited warranty period to not leave me feeling the device's engineering had focused on being just good enough.

I'm watching and hoping HP will prove my fears groundless. There was a time I trusted HP for high quality engineering. I want to again.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by maluka View Post
HP needs better hardware designers. Hopefully they can poach on of the Nokia guys.
I dont think the HW engineers inside Nokia will leave the company my guess is this people will get even more money too stay cause both Nokia and Microsoft needs them alot more than the SW engineers...

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Some of the core linux stuff seems similar :-D

http://opensource.palm.com/2.0.0/index.html

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I've had numerous build quality issues with my Palm Treos from years ago (600, 650, 680); but they were good with support. I just had to make an appointment with them to check their replacement unit stock, came by one of their support point and get an immediate hardware exchange.

Full backup and full restore of data took less than 15 minutes... and off I go, like nothing bad had happened.

But yeah, this issue is certainly not new to Palm. I've higher expectations now that they're under hp.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
WebOS looks interesting. However, the hardware upon which it runs concerns me. The earlier Palm-built Pres made the news several times for widespread hardware design and build issues, and a decade or more has passed since I've had an HP printer or other peripheral remain functional long enough past the end of its short limited warranty period to not leave me feeling the device's engineering had focused on being just good enough.

I'm watching and hoping HP will prove my fears groundless. There was a time I trusted HP for high quality engineering. I want to again.
It is highly probable I'll go with their tablet, I am a big multi-tasker and because I'm guessing that there will be less build quality issues with a mono-block design than with a slider one. From what I read on the web, the only manufacturer able to do good slider designs is Nokia...

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

Posts: 193 | Thanked: 201 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Subotica, Serbia
I tried to register on developer.palm.com as a developer.
If you're like me and live outside of these countries:
Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, China, Costa Rica, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Estonia, Finland, France, French Guiana, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Guadeloupe, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Korea, Republic of, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Martinique, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Reunion, Romania, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Somalia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Uruguay, Venezuela
though luck, you can't... unless... you know, you lie.
You can register for their board.
I started a thread there, asking around if there are others like me, but nothing yet. Join me : http://developer.palm.com/distributi...p?f=21&t=11260

They have a program now, Developer Device Program. http://developer.palm.com/index.php?...rticle&id=2129

We're excited to announce that developers will be able to purchase an unlocked UMTS Palm Pre 2 smartphone online in the United States at a $200 discount. Just send an email to pdc@palm.com This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it to request a coupon!
As I know any newly registered developer can ask for the coupon.
It will be in effect till June 30th 2011.
It's only available in US.

Hope HP will start broadening their borders, shortly... if not they will probably loose lot of developers, from here, who will instead go for Android.