Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Sorry, but I just don't see it the same way at all...
In 6mth you'll be looking at a commercial/FOSS ecosystem that's more successful than the N900 was at the same point.
Despite having much of it's oxygen stolen by the WP strategy, & a lingering Symbian.
Based on everything we know, common sense favours that IMO.
Of course nothing like it could've/should've been, but better than we were with the N900.
Anyway this is getting too off-topic for this thread...
We have the water-cooler thread for such debates:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=74181&page=977

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-10-17 at 04:42.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 226 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Malaysia
Originally Posted by ziller View Post
Probably my most frequently used app is the mafw-lastfm (last.fm scrobbler), I'd love to have it (or any other scrobbler) on N9 as well.
+1 for an N9/N950 scrobbler here as well...

Posts: 43 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Odense S, Denmark
We seriously need ScummVM on the N9 !!!

The Following User Says Thank You to fettouhi For This Useful Post:
I was really hoping for SomePlayer on the N9, but it seems it wont be done for a while. If anyone has the knowhow and motivation to do this, it would be greatly appreciated

I'd love to test or help in any way I can.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
jalyst, I understand there's not going to be a huge repository of apps, commercial or not but the trend now is discouraging. I've been following Ovi store since N9 started shipping and I don't see useful apps coming every day. It may have been the case for the past 2 months but not now. There are lots of useless RSS feed apps but useful utilities seem to be frozen.

I'm talking about apps like wi-fi analyzer, wi-fi file transfer, bar code reader, QR code reader, gps parking, lyric search, Shazam, ebook readers (yes, I know there is a beta one), MS Office editor, etc which are staples in any platform.

I don't make a distinction between commercial or non-commercial apps. If the developers here want to go commercial it's up to them. Have you noticed that most of the games in My-Meego.com which were once free have gone commercial?

There's really no need to scour around the net looking for sources of N9 apps. Any new apps will be reported in My-Meego.com. Any other source you can find are just repeats. Well, My-Meego.com reports a 1 or 2 new apps every few days. Pretty discouraging. You can say N9 has only started shipping but this is wishful justification. Nokia has already given developers a head start months ago. So why are the apps still coming at a trickle?

I'm not ranting against Meego developers here, I'm only expressing my disappointment. Yes, Elop has done all he could to contain N9's mass market appeal but I didn't expect the Meego/Maemo community to just cave in and surrender. Look at N900, there are far more useful apps than N9 now and they were developed by enthusiasts and given free because there was no commercial potential anyway. But now we have the N9 with some commercial potential but the Meego/Maemo community have given Elop an easy victory.
I think there will be lots more things in the store by the end of the year. Nokia has some stuff going on right now that isn't allowed to be discussed publicly, so just trust me when I say that anyone that got the email is busy with their devkits.
If you're wondering what is taking so long, please consider that stuff like this is required reading in my spare time, QML is a new language we all have to learn, and just because it has a simple syntax doesn't mean it's easy to port an app to run on the n9.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
Posts: 658 | Thanked: 777 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Norway
I love you.

The Following User Says Thank You to slai For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
this is probably posted already but you can see some of the apps that are supposedly in progress on this list:
http://wiki.meego.com/Community_Offi..._program/Nokia
for example, mBarcode is being ported already by lardman, and I'll be doing Conky asap. I didn't start yet because I'm working on Proximus still.
If you guys want to see some faster progress, you can always ask people if they need help. Even if you can't code, you might get a beta version to test and it doesn't hurt to make a developer think his work is in demand

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
Posts: 151 | Thanked: 178 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ SF Bay Area
Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
...and it doesn't hurt to make a developer think his work is in demand
As soon as I can get my hands on an N9, preferably mine - but, y'know..., I'm happy to take mBarcode for a beta spin

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kjmackey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
I seemed to have lost the description to this thread, thanks MartenS for reminding me of it.

Anyway, the list you should look at/contribute to is this one: http://wiki.meego.com/Porting_list_from_maemo created by ossipena. Anyone can edit it so that makes it more practical than the one in the first post.

Please check and add your requests, and feel free to patch it with links etc if you are a developer or know about the status of an app.
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mece For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,023 | Thanked: 4,421 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Argentina
Originally Posted by fettouhi View Post
We seriously need ScummVM on the N9 !!!
I've already compiled it
But you can't play most of the games without the keyboard

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CepiPerez For This Useful Post:

Tags