Active Topics

Notices

This won't happen, no more stay here, get something possible.

Posts: 298 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Norway
What are you talking about, archl? We're pretty close with both Minetest and Minecraft itself. The only problem is that Irrlicht crashes and that LWJGL won't compile the .jars and the .sos.
It has stopped because we're missing someone with experience within Java when it comes to LWJGL.
If someone however found compiled libraries for GLES, we'd be running Minecraft on our N900's.
Unfortunately, it seems as if no one are releasing any of it publicly.

Last edited by Nokia 5700; 2011-07-25 at 12:26.

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ England
Originally Posted by Nokia 5700 View Post
What are you talking about, archl? We're pretty close with both Minetest and Minecraft itself. The only problem is that Irrlicht crashes and that LWJGL won't compile the .jars and the .sos.
It has stopped because we're missing someone with experience within Java when it comes to LWJGL.
If someone however found compiled libraries for GLES, we'd be running Minecraft on our N900's.
Unfortunately, it seems as if no one are releasing any of it publicly.
http://java-game-lib.svn.sourceforge...ches/opengles/

Is that what you're looking for? I found this a while ago but the libs didn't work... (more likely I don't know how to use them :P)

I also built minetest successfully in scratchbox (for armel) but it doesn't run on the N900 because "No OpenGL support compiled in".

I used the Irrlicht ogl-es branch found here

Those precompiled libraries for LWJGL are for x86, not armel. (Check them with "file", and you'll know.)
That's the main problem about it. There is GLES 2.0, but no armel around. If we do find them, we simply replace the libraries for Minecraft.
But furthermore, as I see it, there might be some differences between using GLES and GL. I'm not sure if it will work directly, but I think we'll manage if we get those libs in.

Are you sure you compiled Irrlicht correctly? Have you checked the documentation and such for compiling for GLES 2?
Also, I didn't think of compiling Irrlicht itself... Maybe I should have a shot at it, as well?

Originally Posted by Nokia 5700 View Post
Those precompiled libraries for LWJGL are for x86, not armel. (Check them with "file", and you'll know.)
That's the main problem about it. There is GLES 2.0, but no armel around. If we do find them, we simply replace the libraries for Minecraft.
But furthermore, as I see it, there might be some differences between using GLES and GL. I'm not sure if it will work directly, but I think we'll manage if we get those libs in.

Are you sure you compiled Irrlicht correctly? Have you checked the documentation and such for compiling for GLES 2?
Also, I didn't think of compiling Irrlicht itself... Maybe I should have a shot at it, as well?
Hmm I see what you mean about LWJGL. Regarding Irrlicht I believe I compiled it correctly as it did create Irrlicht.a. However I think there are files in minetest which require editing so that it can fully utilise the library. I'll try making my own test application to see if it runs on the N900 with that lib.

Any progress guys?

Doesn't seem like it... It's sad when we're a single depency away.

N900 hardware won't be able to run the original version anyway. Maybe when the Android port comes, we'd be able to, but not now.

I made a small breakthrough in how to build LWJGL for ARM.

I'm going to try it soon then post results. My initial attempt in scratchbox failed so I'm going to try and compile it with a different cross compilation environment.

Update:

It seems that Java can't run in the scratchbox (which is why I get errors. QEMU errors if anyone's interested) so I've decided to compile it directly on the device.

I'm getting a lot of errors thrown at me but I'm working my way through them. Luckily so far it's only missing dependencies such as X11 stuff, GCC etc.

I think I'm narrowing it down now so it's possible that there will be an ARM LWJGL library soon!

Update 2:

Success! I have compiled lwjgl.so for ARM Linux successfully. I'm going to re-install Sun Java onto my N900 so that I can test Minecraft with the new library.

Last edited by TajB; 2011-07-31 at 05:44.

The Following User Says Thank You to TajB For This Useful Post:
Right ok, so it's still giving me the same black screen it did before.

There must be more to it, which is beyond me, so I'm going to give up on it for now.

However I will upload the library I compiled in the hope that someone more experienced can get it working (if it's even possible, it may not be).

To compile the library I installed the following packages:
subversion, ant, icedtea6 (as a result of ant)

These libraries allowed me to get started with compiling LWJGL. (EXTRAS-DEVEL REQUIRED!!)

So here's a guide step by step (all through terminal):

1) Open a new terminal and execute
Code:
cd MyDocs
2) Now execute:
Code:
svn co https://java-game-lib.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/java-game-lib/trunk/LWJGL LWJGL
3) When you check out the source navigate into the new folder
Code:
cd LWJGL
4) Execute the following:
Code:
sudo ant generate-all
From my experience it needs to be done with sudo. Wait for it to finish.

5) Now execute this:
Code:
sudo ant compile_native_es
The engine should now start compiling for ARM. You may come across many errors and warnings to start off with. Warnings about the empty line can be ignored.

6) Install any missing libraries. For this the SDK repository needs to be enabled. See here for the details (use Nokia N900 info). You can use Hildon Application Manager to add the repository with the following details:

URL=http://repository.maemo.org
Distribution=fremantle/sdk
free non-free

7) You will need GCC for this part. Open a new terminal, from the current terminal menu, to install it:
Code:
sudo apt-get install gcc-4.2
This should install all the necessary dependencies for GCC.

8) Now you need some X11 developer libs. This can vary depending on what you've done.
Code:
sudo apt-get install libxxf86vm-dev
sudo apt-get install libxrandr-dev
Those are the ones I can remember, however check the errors yourself if you have problems and inform me. I'm sure it'll jog my memory!

9) Now with the necessary libraries you can try to compile again... however it may still not work! You need to modify platform_build/build_es.xml to properly find libawt.so. I used Filebox to get the directories easily. Edit the lines that reference java.home.

10) After all this it should compile successfully. However there are probably still some optimisations that need to be made.

I know this is a lacking guide but it's all I can remember right now.

Attached is the lwjgl.so I compiled.
Attached Files
File Type: zip LWJGL_ARM_N900.zip (49.6 KB, 166 views)

Last edited by TajB; 2011-08-01 at 01:13.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TajB For This Useful Post: