Active Topics

Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
However I have reason to doubt your claim for it being almost unusable.
I did not claim it being unusable. But it is awful, you can still use it. Like what just said - poor and sub-par.

...or maybe if we compared it to my DSLR? Of how awful it is compared to that...
I'm talking about "normal" comparison with similar group, I didn't even compare Jolla with high-end phones. I didn't see your logic here. So you mean ANY phone which can not take good pic as DSLR has the same bad camera as Jolla?

I did not get your point. Sorry. And who is exaggerating?

Our way of exaggerating problems and weaknesses (like your comparison to N900) will not do anyone any good. If we are to help, our criticism should be as neutral and as truthful as possible. Which is of course difficult for wretched beings like humans.
And again I believe I'm 100% neutral at least to me. One of the reasons I said picture is worse than N900 is Jolla always seem not in focus, it is always blurry, unlike N900/N950/N9 they are at least on focus most of the time.

And as I said, I used Jolla for 9 months, and I am telling the real feel, why I shall exaggerate it? Because Jolla's HW is what I described.

If we go that route, we can throw every single measurement and review published in any site out of window. MPC is so far the only site that has actually measured the screen and they were surprised themselves how good it was, except for being too dim, having not that great contrast and a bit biased white balance. My own experience does not contradict this, so I have no reason to doubt it. However I have reason to doubt your claim for it being almost unusable.
How do you explain with the figures above? If the figures are true then your tech site has no credibility at all.

Last edited by chenliangchen; 2014-11-05 at 15:27.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by strongm View Post
If you are going to quote MPC you probably need to quote all of their results, instead of cherry picking (and misunderstanding) their results. The following info comes from the MPC report

Brightness: At 350 candellas per sq m Jolla’s screen brightness is below average coming in at almost half of what MPC considers a good screen (600 cd/m2)

Contrast: Contrast ratio is 640:1 on Jolla, when average to good mobile devices achieve 1000:1 (with the best reaching 2000:1)

You also need to understand that sRGB scores are less to do with accurate color reproduction and more to do with a color gamut (i.e the range of colors that can be displayed)

'Bad' may not be the word to describe it - but 'poor' or 'below average' certainly is.
Can some one please explain how Jolla can perform so well and "not far from HTC One or even iPhone 5" with the HW like this?

Some magic maybe.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
I did not claim it being unusable.
That's the impression I got from your claim.

I did not get your point. Sorry. And who is exaggerating?
Point was that IME camera on Jolla is way better than on N900 and because after questioning your assessment against N900 you backed off to another device, we can go on that route indefinitely just by changing another device to comparison until the wanted inferiority is proven. However, it was not meant to be taken literally...

And again I believe I'm 100% neutral at least to me. One of the reasons I said picture is worse than N900 is Jolla always seem not in focus, it is always blurry, unlike N900/N950/N9 they are at least on focus most of the time.
Then I guess there is either something wrong with your device, or lens is not clean. I just browsed through pictures I have taken with my Jolla and pictures taken on decent light are crisp and focused. Most blurry stuff is related to long exposure times on darker conditions. N9 struggled on such conditions too.

I have also migrated from a N9 to a z10 (BB10) and I must say that overall I am not regretting it.

What I loved about Meego was the community like this forum, the spirit of open-source, developers making amazing application, hacking the phone, ect ....

BB10 OS is fast, stable and I am very productive with it! I have never cared about having 1000 applications on my phone but I quite a lot the core ones like e-mail, sms, ... so bb10 is a good fit with my demands regarding smarthphones.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mric For This Useful Post:
I too moved from the N900 to N9 to a Blackberry Z30, and now the Passport. I really like it. I missed the OLED screen though. I wish that there had been the optional successor to the Meamo/Meego line, but there isn't (from what I understand Jolla was difficult to obtain, and did not work well in the U.S.). Blackberry 10 is a lot like Meego. I don't like how rigid the appearance is, and I question their alleged security (I kind of want a BlackPhone). But I dislike iOS on principal. And Android just feels like a mess in use. More should consider Blackberry 10 devices. They are quite nice. [BTW, I still use the N900 daily as a music player because it has quite good sound quality, and like to organize/edit my music collection regularly. Most quality audio players don't allow that.]

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lancewex For This Useful Post:
I'm considering the BB Z10 as well. I'm absolutely spoiled by the N9's UI and love the phone's form factor. Can't stand to use my wife's iPhone.

I'll wait until Jolla 2 comes out to see if it will support US frequencies. But I'm not holding my breath that it will since Jolla has stated US is not in their marketing plans.

So the BB Z10 looks like a viable option.

The Following User Says Thank You to gawga_boy For This Useful Post:
Back to topic - after geting rid of my Jolla, I thought there's no real replacement for my N9 (which I'm using now again) until further, but here you go! I totally lost BB Z10 out of my focus, thinking that it's faith is similar to N9.
Great news, already reading the reviews

Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
N9>z30>any android>jolla thats it, enough said

Originally Posted by ibrakalifa View Post
N9>z30>any android>jolla thats it, enough said
What are you actually saying? I was reading Z10 reviews (new ones) these days intesively and it looks good! I truly "feels" like N9 from the days it started - enough useful apps in the store, pretty positive remarks, communicator-like, blablah...
Above all, a device that can be used as a communication device, which is unfortunately way infront of Jolla!

The Following User Says Thank You to pishta74 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 284 | Thanked: 661 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ibrakalifa View Post
[...] any android>jolla thats it, enough said
Yeah, I don't think so. Recently I got my first Android (Samsung) phone and it sucks. The UI is so stone-aged and inefficient to use I wonder how anyone can use it and say they like it... But that's just my experience of it.

Last edited by Thoke; 2014-11-10 at 09:33.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thoke For This Useful Post: