Posts: 279 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Belgrade, Serbia
I live in Europe and in my country almost nobody have heard about N900. There's not even marketing at all. It's just in some magazines that describe it like "super surfer" and stuff like that. But when it comes to N97, whenever i go, i see a billboard with N97 on it. It even has a TV commercial. I understand that N97 is more for average user and N900 is more for geeks, but N900 is a lot better phone. They should invest more money in it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to white_ranger For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
No, the N900 is not the better phone. It's the better mobile computer.
The N97 is still Nokias flagship smartphone.
And the N900 is only step 4 of 5.
Be prepared for a massive marketing campagne for the next meego device.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 210 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki, Finland
N900 is a concept phone, thus it has not been marketed at full capacity. As stated it's part 4/5. When we get to MeeGo (5/5), I bet Nokia will show us a whole new gear in their marketing systems.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Because they expect to make more money with the N97.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
Thanks ysss... the bottom line is always the answer to these types of questions!

white_ranger as well where do you live? if it's one of the poorer countires in europe, nokia might think that the stretch in price to the n900 over the n97 is too far. also they may be having difficulty getting carrier subsidies for such an expensive handset.
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by cashclientel View Post

white_ranger as well where do you live? if it's one of the poorer countires in europe, nokia might think that the stretch in price to the n900 over the n97 is too far. also they may be having difficulty getting carrier subsidies for such an expensive handset.
They are priced almost identically. N97 is sligthly cheaper in some shops, but still in same price segment.

EDIT: Basically Symbian is the mass market product. Maemo still "Step 4/5".

Last edited by Rauha; 2010-03-12 at 11:43.

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
Originally Posted by cashclientel View Post
Thanks ysss... the bottom line is always the answer to these types of questions!

makes no sense b/c both was exactly same price at launch, it all comes down to how many units sold, they shipped and sold millions of n97s and n97 minis so there will always be more money invested there by nokia

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
smaller market share == less money == simple === boring

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Another way to look at it would be to check the active threads on TMO and see how many whine threads about lack of MMS, MFE, video calls and other missing stuff there are. N900's feature set just isn't t ready for same kind of mainstrem push as N97.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
the n97 obviously is more mainstream than the n900. so yes, they propably invest more on it than on the n900.

just yesterday, i saw a tv-commercial for the x6.
i didnt see any n900 commercials...