Notices

Posts: 162 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ United States - Saudi Arabia
Haze has a problem which anyone not in my list can send a message to my MSN!!

Does MSN Pecan has this issue too?

I don't have that issue with pecan (or any real issues at all for that matter) but others have reported that pecan doesn't work for them. I would try all the msn options available and see which one works best for you.

same here. I am also looking forward to a non-dev package that integrates the phone's built-in Conversations for instant-meassinging. Anyone?

Originally Posted by lovemov View Post
Is there one promoted into extra yet? I haven't seen one yet. Just try to keep away from devel or testing.

Posts: 436 | Thanked: 298 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ England
when pecan is in testing i will give it a go and see if i find it better than haze ..... too scared to install from dev!!!

ok,
installed pecan and it seems to work exactly the same for me ... one thing better is i can change my screen name and it saves (in haze it didnt display the screen name i was setting for some reason)

i dunno ... it all confuses the hell outta me ... my only rule is stay away from dev and everythings worked fine for me ... no crashes or random reboots or apps not working
**touch wood**

Posts: 65 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Helsinki
@fraanka yeah, saving the screen name is one of the advantages of pecan... libpurple doesn't have that option, and I hacked around it.

However, when you reconnect the display name will be lost. I'll make sure that is fixed on the next version.

Also, you can install something from -devel, and immediately afterwards disable it. Although I think msn-pecan is now in -testing.

Anyway, maybe you should try to compare battery life with msn-pecan and with haze.

sorry about the capitals, i just replied to all three and wanted to differentiate between your text and mine.

However, when you reconnect the display name will be lost. I'll make sure that is fixed on the next version.
AHAAAAA THATS WHAT HAPPENED WITH HAZE ... IT WORKED THE 1ST TIME THEN STOPPED WORKING BUT I JUST DISCONNECTED ON MSN, RECONNECTED .. USER NAME CHANGED BACK TO FRAAAAANKA@.COM, WENT INTO ACCOUNT CHANGED IT BACK TO THE NAME I WANT AND IT CHANGED, ON HAZE IT JUST REFUSED TO CHANGE

Also, you can install something from -devel, and immediately afterwards disable it. Although I think msn-pecan is now in -testing.
YES ITS IN TESTING OTHERWISE I WOULDNT HAVE INSTALLED IT ... IM SCARED OF DEV

Anyway, maybe you should try to compare battery life with msn-pecan and with haze.
WOULD BE NICE TO KNOW WHICH IS THE MOST POWER HUNGRY. THAT WOULD MEAN CONNECTING TO HAZE AND NOT USING MY N900 FOR ANYTHING ELSE UNTIL THE BATTERY RUNS OUT AND THEN DOING THE SAME WITH PECAN, I DONT THINK I COULD HANDLE THAT AS IT COULD BE DAYS WITH NO USAGE OTHER THAN CONNECTED

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Los Angeles
Originally Posted by felipec View Post
@fraanka yeah, saving the screen name is one of the advantages of pecan... libpurple doesn't have that option, and I hacked around it.

The screen name works well using butterfly, that's the only reason I have been using it.

I tried all the three plugins, pecan, haze and the Extra protocols plugin package.
They all seam to work ok. I'm using mostly haze now with no problems.. and going to use pecan regularly to test it better.

There are although a couple of annoyances in all of them. First is lack of multiple login support witch causes it to "fight" with the desktop client.

The other is that each one gets its set of contacts(repeated) into the contact list. And then you have to merge the same MSN contact from each plugin in to the corresponding person contact.

imho this is how it should work: Each MSN account (same login/password) would generate only on set of contacts, and without (Haze/pecan) on the account name.. Just MSN!

If one wants to had multiple MSN accounts, the the login/password would be different and a new set of contacts should be imported.

Cos now I have each person contact with 3 MSN contacts, wich I find quite anoying. They should all share the same contact detail.. as it is what that detail refers to; MSN contact.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hangas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 229 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Los Angeles
I installed pecan (0.1.0-rc3) and tried, it has more options than bufferfly (included in extra protocols) which I didn't change anyway.

Didn't see difference in text messaging, and didn't test if pecan have better battery management. Screen name only worked only after it's set and reverted back to email address later.

Video call doesn't work on pecan. When I initialize a video call from another account on a PC, nothing is received on the n900.

If using butterfly, the phone will ring and can pick up the call and start a video call, however, sometimes and seems getting more often it will be disconnected right after picking up the call.