Posts: 6 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hi everyone,
I wasn't sure what to search for, but after I put my title on the automatic search results gave an N900 related thread http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=75920 which might be helpful, but not sure.

Basically, my N9 seems to have trouble for the last 4 or 5 days or so with all USB cables (have used a Amazon Kindle charger, an almost new (well it's 5 or 6 years old but never used untill 3 weeks ago) BlackBerry USB cable, the the CA-101 USB that came with either my N97mini or E71, Samsung microUSB charger, all seem to have the issue to varying degrees), but especially my genuine Nokia micro USB car charger (from my N97mini, charger was replaced in early 2011 under warranty). All the cables are somewhat loose, although they stay in, just not quite as well as they use to. They seem to sit normally but the phone either doesn't recognize it's connected to a cable, or if it does it's just for a few seconds, sometimes with the car charger it will recognize the charger then lose it multiple times in a few seconds and the phone will say the charger has a problem and to call Nokia Care. I can press the cable in more on the left side (so it's on an angle), but it won't go further in on the right side (with the screen facing me of course). The more I move the phone while plugged in, the more it cycles through recognizing the cable and losing it.

I have noticed on 2 occassions in the last month or so small pieces of metal come out of the port (I doubt they came from somewhere else, although it's possible), and get stuck on the edge surrounding the port, the edge appears to be magnetic (I should point out the plastic cover for the USB port broke back in December, so the port is always exposed). I took one of my tiny flat head precision screw drivers and put it in the port to see if there was any debris or an uneven suface inside it at the back, but there wasn't any debris or uneven surface that I could tell.

Any thoughts? Is this the same as the N900 thread above? The port itselft does not appear to be loose.

Being in Canada, I can't get direct warranty service from Nokia (although their repair depot is a 5min drive from me, they have likely never seen an N9). The store I bought it from will (for free as far as I know) ship it back to Hong Kong for warranty repair, but then I am out a phone for close to a month probably. My warranty expires at the end of October. Is it worth getting this fixed (or fixing myself). Anyone in the Toronto area on here that is confident they can fix this?

Thanks in advance, and I'm sorry if I missed another thread talking about this. Also I hope my description makes sense.

Last edited by djs514; 2012-07-23 at 16:25. Reason: spelling.

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
No one has any ideas?

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Hong Kong
It might be a typical case of faulty USB port of Nokia phones. I read through your post carefully and found out the same thing had happened to my good-old Nokia E5-00.

Although they may have never seen an N9, your local repair depot should be able to fix this. If you Google "nokia loose usb port", you will find this is not a hardware malfunction that only happens to an N9.

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
yep, I've seen one N9 which usb port connections had come loose after someone dropped it to floor with cable connected. I had to do some soldering to get connections working again.

So professional fixing companies (like nokia care uses) should be able to fix it. Also possible as DIY, but connection pins are really really small though, so if you don't have really stable hands then your in trouble. There are a bit bigger usb debug connection points on the other side of the motherboard, where soldering is easier, but even that will require some tweaking.
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

The Following User Says Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 199 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on May 2009 @ turku, finland
and now my n9 has the same problem; won't charge. afaik it has not dropped on the floor while charging. anyone knows if this is covered by warranty?

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by edgar2 View Post
and now my n9 has the same problem; won't charge. afaik it has not dropped on the floor while charging. anyone knows if this is covered by warranty?
I think it will be covered

The Following User Says Thank You to pallokallo For This Useful Post: